We need a new forum category

J-see

Correct, but that can be handled by polite link postings.

This is VERY common on facebook groups. Seems people would rather post a question to the group rather than spend the same amount of time entering the question on Google. This example is pure laziness and while it is common on facebook, it is uncommon on VB forums (thankfully).

I personally have no problem with answering the same old question. It costs about the same time and effort to answer it as it would cost me to complain to them about it being asked. And you never know, maybe someone will provide a new answer that might completely change my opinion on the subject.

Vixen

I personally don't care how many areas this forum has. I don't really care who baits or flames who. Why? Well..... I got severely bullied on a forum some years ago and I adopted a whole new attitude to forums and the people that inhabit them. I doubt anyone on ANY internet forum could really get under my skin anymore, but it was a very VERY hard earned attitude I have acquired and it is VERY unfair to subject anyone to bullying of any sort by anyone.

Oh....just please don't start and politics or religion or guns threads :D

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
What if the purpose of rehashing an old idea is to stir the pot? Is that right?

Let me jump over to the D600 forum and start asking questions about the "oil spot" issue, even though I know about it inside and out.

Perhaps I should have said if some people wish to discuss the same idea again and again rather than to use the word rehash.

And stirring the pot is exactly what happened with some of the snarky comments that were posted.

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and cauldron bubble.
;)

Horoscope Fish

While I'm not *against* the idea of a n00b forum what I think we *need* is less... snarky posting when dealing with new members. I think good-natured ribbing between veteran posters is one thing, it's another entirely to rail on a new member. I don't care if they're asking a "Ford vs. Chevy" question that's been answered a million times and pops right up on a basic search; if you don't have something nice to say, say nothing. Ignore the thread and move on. It's the nature of Internet forums that new posters ask questions veterans have answered numerous times.

SHAkers718

Years ago, when I had running dogs, a popular lunch spot was a general store in Tightwad, Missouri. Everyone just called the place, Margarites.

It was a little dark in there, even at high noon, and had some chairs for the customers to sit a while and lie to each other with tall tales if they wished.

The Fox hunter's that were there for the bologna and cheese sandwich, or other delicacy from the antique display cooler, along with their favourite beverage, would discuss all sorts of subjects.

There was always one or two hunters that would comment on this dog or that dog as being the best at trailing, the prettiest mouth (barking sound as they ran), and other traits. Usually, it wound up being one of their dogs that was just the best ever.

The other hunters had heard this before, of course, and knew the truth about all the dogs that ran races with them. They had heard and seen what really goes on.

They seldom criticized the braggarts, or talked down to them, for the most part, just allowed them to be part of a world that few today really know about. All of them loved the hunting, their dogs, and the life they lived.

The veterans and the newbies got along that way. Respect for one another, was the rule. The enjoyment was the doing, not so much the talking about it, although it was entertaining, and the newbies learned a lot from the veterans stories and tips. Arguments were rare, and produced not much.

I liked it a lot. The FAQ and search functions were only in the daily conversations, not archived. If you wanted to know something, you just asked, even if it had been asked before. The answer was part of the conversation, and made things interesting.

Bologna just goes down better that way.

Kinda like this forum.

That was very "Prairie Home Companion"! (meant as a compliment, btw)

SHAkers718

Whoever mentioned that the search feature is very weak is right on. Sometimes in spite of our best efforts we miss something. For instance, I just went back to see who said that and I couldn't find it. Also, sometimes a person is logging in under less than ideal circumstances viz. using the small screen of their smart phone, or trying to, ahem, "multi-task" while at work. Hey, life is busy. Sometimes people don't want to go to the "library" so to speak (FAQs) where they can do "research" on their own; they usually join a forum because they actually want interaction as much as information. I think kindly pointing someone in the right direction to a previous post is a splendid idea. Or don't - stay on the sidelines. Otherwise this is more like a good old boys club where noobs can study their lessons in the corner while the "rest of us" seasoned veterans get to banter - please don't interrupt us.

Or, you could do just the opposite. You could "take it outside" and have a "Duke it Out" corner. Those who aren't interested stay out of the fray and the original thread remains unpolluted. Don't even moderate it, let it be self-moderated. If it's too ugly in there, don't go there.

P.S. This is rather overwhelming to a newcomer. There's a lot of stuff going on here. Visually the Home page is very busy. Personally, I just tried to scope out a safe corner to start and haven't had time to fully familiarize with every category yet at all.

Last edited:

Retro

What we often don't comprehend is the commonality of our interests, experiences and curiosities. It would be easy for me to think I'm the only one here who's been told

"Always have a polarizing filter on your lenses, to protect the objective glass, even if you don't think you need it. Scratching the OL is not worth it. Don't question it, just keep it on."

And it seems perfectly reasonable to ask for opinions about that here, not that I'm asking. Photography is just a microcosm of the human experience, but we always think we are the only ones who have had THIS question, or 'my reasons for asking are just a little different than anyone before me.'

I don't think there's a cure for that.