Watermark

Bill16

Thanks for the info my friend! When I get a computer up and running I'll try to remember to get that! :D

Until then I did find a watermark app for my droid, and made a watermark for now, and I'd love to hear what you all think of it! :D
The easiest watermarking program out there is by TSR Watermark. Google it. Download it. It's free for private use.

Alan, what font did you use for your watermark? :) Pretty wild! :)

Attachments

• 1376072340250_wm.jpg
    1376072340250_wm.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 112

Browncoat

If someone wants to steal your online photos, nothing is going to stop them (short of not uploading them to the internet in the first place). Even if you imbed your copyright info in the EXIF data, it can be removed. A silly watermark isn't a theft deterrent. Anyone even moderately familiar with Photoshop can make that disappear in a matter of minutes.

Let's just be honest here and call watermarks what they really are: for show. It's like saying, "Hey there. You should take me just a little bit more seriously as a photographer because I took the time to watermark my images." They're nothing more than vanity plates for pictures.

Dave_W

The Dude
Let's just be honest here and call watermarks what they really are: for show. It's like saying, "Hey there. You should take me just a little bit more seriously as a photographer because I took the time to watermark my images." They're nothing more than vanity plates for pictures.

I don't really see it that way, Browncoat. A watermark is like a lock on a door. It's not meant to be fool proof but instead is a measure to help keep the honest people honest. Neither measure will completely insure the safety of your image (or house) but it does at least remind the thief that it belongs to someone else. And sometimes this is all it takes.

​But more importantly, a watermark acts much like a billboard or TV ad does in advertising your your skills and services to potential clients and gives them a way to contact you. To call a billboard or a TV ad pure vanity seems both overly simplistic and overly cynical.

Pretzel

If someone wants to steal your online photos, nothing is going to stop them (short of not uploading them to the internet in the first place). Even if you imbed your copyright info in the EXIF data, it can be removed. A silly watermark isn't a theft deterrent. Anyone even moderately familiar with Photoshop can make that disappear in a matter of minutes.

**edited out, Dave W said it much more concisely (and less animated) than I did*** ;)

Keep Calm and Shoot On! There's a whole world waiting to be photographed anew with each and every day!

Last edited:

Pretzel

I don't really see it that way, Browncoat. A watermark is like a lock on a door. It's not meant to be fool proof but instead is a measure to help keep the honest people honest. Neither measure will completely insure the safety of your image (or house) but it does at least remind the thief that it belongs to someone else. And sometimes this is all it takes.

​But more importantly, a watermark acts much like a billboard or TV ad does in advertising your your skills and services to potential clients and gives them a way to contact you. To call a billboard or a TV ad pure vanity seems both overly simplistic and overly cynical.

Dang, all my careful wording and venting between busy moments at work, and you beat me to it, Dave! I hit submit, saw your post, and gave myself a chuckle and a /facepalm. Maybe I should have skipped the extra cup of coffee today... HA!

WhiteLight

Hmmm.. i must agree with Browncoat here..
A thief is a thief & a honmest person is.. well, honest..

if you lock your doors, a thief will get in if he wants, but even if the doors are open an honest person may not enter.

and you really can't compare breaking a lock to stealing an image cos to break a lock, you may be heard, seen etc but with images, you are in the privacy of your home with no one watching what you upto.

Van gogh & others during his time did not sign on the pics so someone would not steal it, but people needed to know who did that awesome work.
And very similalrly & exactly what Dave said, it's more of an advertising than any sort of protection.

if you think that a person who really has the intent of whacking your pics (or anything for that matter) sees your Watermark & gets all scared & stops him from doing it, you really have some crazy trust issues!

Just like someone said, anything in a Pelican case screams valuables inside, a watermark just shows that some person has worked on the image and is of some value and probably makes the 'pic thief' want it more! :)

Charles Caleb Colton said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery..
​well this is better than imitation :)

Bill16

Though you stated it in a negative light Browncoat, and it seems obviously you think less of people who use watermarks. I don't see what's wrong with people being proud enough of their work that they would like others to know they made it. Signing artwork has been done for centuries, and I don't see anything wrong with it myself. :D

It looks like my posting was way slow, this time! Lol :D

Last edited:

jwstl

Having your information on the image is a professional's tool. It allows prospective customers to identify the photographer and offers proof of willful infringement in a court of law should someone remove the info and use the image commercially. If you are not making money from your work, have no intention of making money from your work, and couldn't care less if people know an image is yours, then by all means leave it off.

Dave_W

The Dude
Hmmm.. i must agree with Browncoat here..
A thief is a thief & a honmest person is.. well, honest..

if you lock your doors, a thief will get in if he wants, but even if the doors are open an honest person may not enter.

and you really can't compare breaking a lock to stealing an image cos to break a lock, you may be heard, seen etc but with images, you are in the privacy of your home with no one watching what you upto.

Van gogh & others during his time did not sign on the pics so someone would not steal it, but people needed to know who did that awesome work.
And very similalrly & exactly what Dave said, it's more of an advertising than any sort of protection.

if you think that a person who really has the intent of whacking your pics (or anything for that matter) sees your Watermark & gets all scared & stops him from doing it, you really have some crazy trust issues!

Just like someone said, anything in a Pelican case screams valuables inside, a watermark just shows that some person has worked on the image and is of some value and probably makes the 'pic thief' want it more! :)

Charles Caleb Colton said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery..
​well this is better than imitation :)

There's a known psychological barrier theory (can't remember the name right now) that basically says that people will obey the rules of society (or anything) unless the barrier to cheating is lowered a point that convinces the potential cheater that they can cheat and get away with it. It happens in marriages quite often where a man with no desire to cheat on his wife ends up cheating because the opportunity was just too easy for him not to accept.
So yes, in a matter of semantics a cheater is a cheater but in the reality of how society works honest people will stay honest if you put even a modicum of effort to keep them from cheating.

WhiteLight

There's a known psychological barrier theory (can't remember the name right now) that basically says that people will obey the rules of society (or anything) unless the barrier to cheating is lowered a point that convinces the potential cheater that they can cheat and get away with it. It happens in marriages quite often where a man with no desire to cheat on his wife ends up cheating because the opportunity was just too easy for him not to accept.
So yes, in a matter of semantics a cheater is a cheater but in the reality of how society works honest people will stay honest if you put even a modicum of effort to keep them from cheating.

I so wish the world today was at least partially like what you state Dave
Perfect moment for 'gone are the days....' :)

maybe i've only met scumbags all my life that i've lost all such hope in my fellow humans...

'Thou shalt do as you please whence you please as long as thou shalt gain' seems to be the mantra today..

ok back on topic.. i can hear the long arm of the law viewing us with a 800mm lens & 2.0x TC and a lock in tow :p
​and they will 'watermark' it at the end :)

Bill16

There are a lot of greedy dishonest souls in the world. But I've met some great people who are generous with their help and caring. Some in places where I lived, and some from across the ocean from me. There are some wonderful people out there. I've met some online that are awesome people. I met my wife on line and moved from Oregon to North Carolina to meet her in person and marry her! It's been wonderful, and a dream come true! :D
I could go on about some of the great people I've been lucky to know, but you get the idea! :D

So please don't give up WhiteLight! There are still awesome people out there! We are not all greedy dishonest souls! :D

Browncoat

Though you stated it in a negative light Browncoat, and it seems obviously you think less of people who use watermarks.

Trust me, if I thought less of anyone who used watermarks, I would say so. Explicitly. Don't put words in my mouth.

As to those who think of watermarks as a "lock on a door", you have a valid point. The average Joe who's just looking to swipe images from a Google image search or whatnot is likely to be deterred by those with a watermark on them.

But, just like a real thief who would either pick the lock or simply kick the door in...a real photo thief is not going to be dissuaded by a watermark that is just as easily removed. If they want it, they're going to get it.

Bill16

I didn't put any words in your mouth. I just went by what your post seemed to imply. I'm sorry if I misunderstood your intent.
This is the part I must have misunderstood.
Browncoat said:

Trust me, if I thought less of anyone who used watermarks, I would say so. Explicitly. Don't put words in my mouth.

As to those who think of watermarks as a "lock on a door", you have a valid point. The average Joe who's just looking to swipe images from a Google image search or whatnot is likely to be deterred by those with a watermark on them.

But, just like a real thief who would either pick the lock or simply kick the door in...a real photo thief is not going to be dissuaded by a watermark that is just as easily removed. If they want it, they're going to get it.

Last edited:

Browncoat

No worries, Bill. I'm often misunderstood.

My point was that watermarks are more for vanity purposes than anything else. Most watermarks are posted in the bottom corner and are easily cropped off. That's not much of an anti-theft device. I would also argue that most people who use watermarks aren't doing so for copyright reasons in the first place. It's more of a badge of honor thing.

Kind of like listing gear in a forum signature. :cool:

Bill16

I'm not sure why others list their gear in their signature. But I do it because it's easier than trying to get it listed in my profile! Lol :D So for me it's not vanity but laziness I suppose! Lol :D

Besides, if you look you won't find a high dollar lens in the whole works of my lenses! Lol :D
No worries, Bill. I'm often misunderstood.

My point was that watermarks are more for vanity purposes than anything else. Most watermarks are posted in the bottom corner and are easily cropped off. That's not much of an anti-theft device. I would also argue that most people who use watermarks aren't doing so for copyright reasons in the first place. It's more of a badge of honor thing.

Kind of like listing gear in a forum signature. :cool:

Last edited: