Vincent 2014 365 project

Vincent

Lenses, I have to redo this, but the point is clear, I had a Konica T2 with a 52mm f1.8; I wanted a portrait and wide angle to complement that and then this happened in the last 4 months:

20141118-Hexanons.jpg

The Vivitar is on my D70s with a Fotodiox (optically corrected) adaptor, average price 50€ a lens, I also bought a Hitachi aluminium box for safe storage.

Vincent

Lenses re-edited: what a day of reflection and inspiration from Marcel can do:

20141118-Hexanons 2.jpg

Today went in the woods and got some mushroom shots (still Marcel`s inspiration):
20141119-Mushroom 1.jpg20141119-Mushroom 2.jpg20141119-Mushroom 3.jpg20141119-Mushroom 4.jpg
20141119-Mushroom 5.jpg20141119-Mushroom 6.jpg

Some not mushrooms:
20141119-seeds.jpg20141119-Yellow leave.jpg

Vincent

Teleconverters the truth 1: I`m testing teleconverters.

This is something you should not do people say, it can not give sharp results:
50mm f1,4 Konica (very sharp lens) + Osawa MC4 2X TC for Konica + Fotodiox Adapter Konica to Nikon (1,4X TC optical corrector) + Kenko 1,4 TC + Kenko 2 TC.

20141122-Model eye.jpg

So conclusion is if correctly used you can do crazy things with teleconverters and get sharp results.

Vincent

Teleconverters the truth 2: I was recently with someone who sold all his TCs, using the Nikon 28-300 and the Sigma 50-150 he coherently had better results without TC:

This was the test set-up with my Sigma 500mm (50mm equivalent view):
20141123-Set up test.jpg
Principle was to use the best f stop.

The eye in the pictures was too small to come to reasonable results so I had to crop the head:

TC 1,4X
20141123-700.jpg

TC 2X
20141123-1000.jpg

TC1,4+2 X

20141123-1400.jpg

So:
1) Probably better to not use a TC if you do not need to (depends on the Mpix you have, if you can crop a lot it will come out well)
- don`t be lazy get closer
- TC`s make you loose light, you need very good light to use them. Not early in the morning or late at night, except very good cameras.
- when you reduce your field of view it is more difficult to find your subject and you amplify camera shake (technique is very important).
- less TC will allow you faster shutter speed which is probably more important.
2) When to use a TC
- excellent lens
- low Mpix and low possibility to crop
- when you need the more detail to be able to focus correctly
- when your focus system needs a bigger subject to track correctly
- when you need almost all the Mpix for the size of picture you want to print

I forgot to take the picture without TC, ...
it shows that I do not follow the recommendation, I grab the TC too quickly fearing not to be able to focus otherwise.

Other remarks:
I did a similar test (Nikon vs Kenko 2X) with the 70-200 @200 at dawn: did not get a single reasonable image, if you push it too much ... it can not work.
I want to use single TCs with a better (ISO sensitivity) camera in lower light (issue with lower speed, but can use the larger image to make it smaller with more info)

=============================
Edit:
I forgot to mention: I did a test with 70-200 + Nikon TC 2X + Kenko TC 2X and then try to autofocus. The autofocus reacted and confirmed focus at f11. Canon users can never believe this, as far as I understand Canon blocks the autofocus when the f reading goes high.

Last edited:

Vincent

Failure, taking the advise above I had a bird close to the road, so no teleconverter and a long set-up (put the gimbal on the monopod and then got the 500mm out of the box).
The bird was gone.
After some waiting it came back, but not close to me. So I could not crop more then this:

20141125-Bird.jpg

Thanks for the lesson....Every little bit helps.

The main lesson is that you have to try out things.

Vincent

Bird, I went to get some chocolates.
There is a natural reserve near the place so I tried to get some pictures. I tried different configurations with the teleconverters, this is the only reasonable picture that came out

20141128-bird.jpg

with 2 teleconverters, but also there not many hits.

Vincent

Been a while to post:

I wanted to capture the bouncing light from the berries, I think I messed up the aperture:
20141207-Berries.jpg

Capture the backlight:

20141207-Back light.jpg

I had to close to get some good apple shots:

20141207-Apples.jpg

Finally a depth of field test:

20141207-wall.jpg

Vincent

I think this is just lovely. The bokeh from that f1 aperture is just great, and I love the little light starbursts on the berries :D

Thanks. Indeed the starbursts are what I was hoping for when taking the picture. The lines in the bokeh are other branches, for me they could be more defined, for this f2.8 would be OK this would also give less glow on the berries I believe.

Just to avoid misunderstanding, there is no f1 aperture, it shows this since I use a not communicating lens on the D70s, it puts a default value.
The lens here is the Konica Hexanon 50mm f1.7 @f1.7 (+fotodiox adapter with TC 1.4), Hexanons are known for their bokeh, probably for that also more sensitive to chromatic aberration.

I still want to work on the same scene, did not have a lot of sun the last weeks though. Want to try with the D7000 and a Hexanon 135mm.