Upgrading FX Wide Lens

Fortkentdad

Off to the show tomorrow - the weather network has downgraded the snow in the forecast to flurries with snow on Sunday let's hope the weatherman is correct.

I'm thinking I might come home with a Nikkor 20mm 1.8G lens maybe with an nice ND filter? I do have an 82 CPL polarizer to maybe a 82-77 step down (or would that be up?) ring. I am not convinced to open the wallet wide enough for the zooms I've considered - the zoom I have is adequate and the 20mm prime will give me the option of faster with better IQ - even if in one focal length. I have a few primes and I can make that work. When I have the UW zoom on I do tend to zoom to either extreme most of the time. If there was a good prime at 16 or 18 that would be even better but 20 works. BUT I'm open minded and will see what I come home with ... maybe something totally different.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Off to the show tomorrow - the weather network has downgraded the snow in the forecast to flurries with snow on Sunday let's hope the weatherman is correct.

I'm thinking I might come home with a Nikkor 20mm 1.8G lens maybe with an nice ND filter? I do have an 82 CPL polarizer to maybe a 82-77 step down (or would that be up?) ring.

If your current filter's size is 82mm and the thread size on the 20mm f/1.8 is 77mm, then you want a 77mm to 82mm step up ring.

Fortkentdad

SNOW the temp tomorrow here is a high of 86°f/30°c

It is April after all - 1-3 cm of snow forecast for Sun, Mon and a little more on Tuesday.

We still have a foot or so in the yard.
DSC_4792 -1 SM8.jpg
The dog just loves to roll in the snow on the 'warm' days - that is to say warmer than say minus 10.

Fortkentdad

If your current filter's size is 82mm and the thread size on the 20mm f/1.8 is 77mm, then you want a 77mm to 82mm step up ring.

Thanks - hate to get that backwards

Since my 24-70 is an 82mm I'm probably better off investing in 82mm filters than 77mm and just stepping up to it - even if the price is a bit more.

Fortkentdad

Slept on it - chat with my wife who has been reading the "PhoDOGraphy" book I bought last week - I get to read it when she is done.

In the book she tells me the author recommends shooting dogs wide - and since she shoots with the D5100 maybe I should just get a good ultrawide AFC lens. We do have the 16-85 3.5-5.6 that she uses - that is wide, but not ultra.

Pulled up a DXO DX Ultrawide comparison https://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Tok...ikon-10-24mm-f-3.5-4.5-vs-Sigma-10-20mm-f-3.5

ALL the top runners are Tokina - which I've heard a few times in this discussion.

DX ultrawide.jpg

The Siggy 10-20 is the least expensive on sale for $550 and scores 18 vs the top runner - the Tokina 11-20 at 20 - but that's close.

None of these come close to the Prime on a FX which scores over 30 - on a DX (D7100) it still hits 23.

Maybe I'll HAVE to get both the 20mm prime for me and an ultra-wide DX for her . . .

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks - hate to get that backwards

Since my 24-70 is an 82mm I'm probably better off investing in 82mm filters than 77mm and just stepping up to it - even if the price is a bit more.

I have CP and ND filters in 82mm, and 77mm, and a CP filter in 67mm. I can't use the lens hoods with step-up rings, and since I use 3 lenses regularly, I opted to get the CP filters in all three sizes. I didn't buy them all at once though. Plus I have more than one lens that take 77mm and 67mm filters. I figure if I need a 67mm ND filter, the camera will be on a tripod making it easier to shade the lens with my free hand somehow. Every so often B&H has some decent sales on filters. ;) Bought a 10-stop 77mm ND filter for around $49 if I remember correctly.

But give the step up rings a try first. It's definitely less expensive.

Fortkentdad

Well came time to make up my mind . . .
Came home with a Tokina 11-20 F2.8
Cost a little more than the Sigma but I liked the feel of the Tokina, feels like a tank, and nice to have 2.8, even if you lose that 10mm start point.
The reviews on this one were all very positive - it is my first Tokina
DSC_3519+Tokina ATX 11-20 2.8 DX Pro-0001.jpg

Of course had to get a protective filter ( I know no need for UV but that's how they come - I just don't shoot with naked lenses.)
And much to my dismay - Tokina lenses do not include a case, not even a useless sock like the Nikkors.
So added a Lowe Pro case (it is a camera case but fits the Tokina like a glove)

Ironwood

I have the Tokina 11-16, it is a very good lens and I'm sure the 11-20 is every bit as good, or better.
Wise move getting that filter for it if you want to use it for dog photos. I tried mine on the dog yesterday and his nose kept getting too close to the glass, a filter would take some of the worry of the nose and tongue away.
You have to get surprisingly close to fill the frame.

DSC_7574.jpg

Fortkentdad

DSC_4991 -1.jpg
Not just doggie licks - but annoyed parrots tired of too many flash photos who attack the camera.

Or maybe his way of telling me, I've posed long enough treat me NOW!