Upgrading FX Wide Lens

Horoscope Fish

I see Henry's of Toronto has a 14mm used on sale for a bit over a grand (CDN$) which is in the ball park of a new 20mm Siggy 1.4.
I don't want to muddy the waters further for you, but then I'd feel remiss if I didn't ask if you've at least considered the Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX. Maybe it's not wide enough at 16mm, but if that'll get it done for you, it's a stunning lens and a constant f/2.8 to boot. Just a thought.

Fortkentdad

I don't want to muddy the waters further for you, but then I'd feel remiss if I didn't ask if you've at least considered the Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX. Maybe it's not wide enough at 16mm, but if that'll get it done for you, it's a stunning lens and a constant f/2.8 to boot. Just a thought.

I have looked at it - one mm short on the short end and two mm shorter on the long end when compared to the Tamron 15-30 2.8 - but priced a much better at $20 shy of a grand. It is a contender.

I had a chance to look at the 15-30mm and the Nikkor 14-24 at a shop on Thursday - those are honking big lenses - and very pricey. The option of getting the UW for DX and using my D7100 for ultra wide and ultra long (200-500 lives on the D7100 now). Save a grand or so for something else. Been looking at the pro's con's of Ultra Wide FX vs Ultra Wide DX lenses (on their respective cameras - lots of talk of putting an ultra wide Dx on an Fx - I'd use my D71000 not D610 for a Dx lens.

I have also added the newly announced Tamron 10-24 DX lens to the option list. Down side - it is a variable ap at 3.5 - 4.5 but early reviews are glowing and weather resistant. And maybe worth while waiting on the newly announced 14mm Siggy Art lens.

Hope to get to a small camera show in Edmonton sponsored by McBain's Camera on the 22nd, the manufacturers rep's are their, often with good discounts.

I have this lens lens for my D750. It stays on the camera more than any other lens.

Eddie

Sorry TS for piggy back your thread.

Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 or Tokina 17-35mm f4 PRO
Anyone had tried either one of these lenses ?
Am looking for one since I don't have UWA ...

Fortkentdad

Looking harder at the 20mm primes, either the Nikkor 1.8 or Sigma's new Artsy 20 1.4.
Price is close enough at about a grand.

Obviously the Siggy is a stop faster (or is that a full stop?)
But apparently not as sharp at 1.4 as 1.8 - but nice to be able to open it up just a little more when you really need it.

20mmUWA.jpg

BUT - size matters - in this case the Sigma is a Bigma lens, bulbous front end (not easy filtering) and almost three times the weight.
Nikkor G is much lighter (and more plasticy according to some reviews) but durable enough - especially if well cared for and used as often as one might expect to use a 20mm prime
DOX scores are exceptional for either of these. There does not seem to be much difference in the IQ reviews - the Sigma is a bigger, heavier, perhaps better built lens, but is it too big? Would I avoid using it? The Nikkor 1.8 would fit into the bag much easier.

Another upside I had not really thought about but I'd get two primes for the price of one when I mount this on my D7100 it is a fast 30mm prime.

I do have some primes - a 35 DX, 60mm Macro, 50mm Siggy Art and 105 AFD macro.

I could spend a grand or two and get a better FX zoom although the one I have isn't all that awful.

Or, spend about a grand and get a super sharp 20mm fast prime that I can use when I need it.

I'm off to an in-store photography show at McBains on Saturday - maybe the Sigma or Nikon reps there will be persuasive enough to get me to open my wallet "ultra wide". There have been Tamron people at this event last time I went, but don't think I've ever seen a Tokina person there - but then I wasn't looking for one.

Last edited:

pforsell

I am following this thread with interest. As I myself am not much of a zoom person, this fast 20 mm prime idea is very interesting. The speed difference is 2/3rds of a stop in favor of the Sigma (f/2 would be 1 stop slower than f/1.4) and the size/weight and filter issues in favor of the Nikon.

Please post your impressions after you've been to the show.

Danno

I have been pondering this very thing for my D700. I really cannot afford the Tamron 15-30 and I borrowed a 10 mm prime for my D7200 before I bought the Sigma 10-20 mm 3.5 lens for it. I liked the flexibility of the zoom when I try to compose the picture of a sunrise.

I do like the Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX. That lens seems to be more within my reach.

I am glad you started this thread @Fortkentdad. I am not so sure that my wife is, but she is pretty patient with me. :D

Fortkentdad

I have been pondering this very thing for my D700. I really cannot afford the Tamron 15-30 and I borrowed a 10 mm prime for my D7200 before I bought the Sigma 10-20 mm 3.5 lens for it. I liked the flexibility of the zoom when I try to compose the picture of a sunrise.

I do like the Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX. That lens seems to be more within my reach.

I am glad you started this thread @Fortkentdad. I am not so sure that my wife is, but she is pretty patient with me. :D

My apologies to your wife - and wallet.

My wife went a little overboard in the hand-made shoe shop recently, I have some license to try and keep up in the wallet draining department.

You say there is a 10mm prime? Only one Mr. Google could find for a Nikon was the for Nikon 1.

I have not decided whether I need to spend that extra grand to get a zoom for my D610 when I can get that Sigma 10-20 for my D7100 and have that as an option - I'd still have my existing 17-35 Tammy - and may still get a 20mm prime anyway. I do like options.

. . . but that 16-28 ...

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Do not dismiss the Nikon 16-35 f4. I did some tests a few years back between the 14-24 and the 16-35 when I had both. I finally sold the 14-24 and kept the 16-35.

My reasons were that with FX the high iso quality permits the F4 aperture PLUS the 16-35's extended range (24-35) AND it has VR which in some cases can be extremely useful. Ok, corners might be a bit softer, but the camera's processor can remove quite a bit of distortion when a situation allows you to use jpegs or if you use Nikon's Capture N-XD to post process your NEF files.

Fortkentdad

Do not dismiss the Nikon 16-35 f4. I did some tests a few years back between the 14-24 and the 16-35 when I had both. I finally sold the 14-24 and kept the 16-35.

My reasons were that with FX the high iso quality permits the F4 aperture PLUS the 16-35's extended range (24-35) AND it has VR which in some cases can be extremely useful. Ok, corners might be a bit softer, but the camera's processor can remove quite a bit of distortion when a situation allows you to use jpegs or if you use Nikon's Capture N-XD to post process your NEF files.

Thanks - and it is a 77mm filter-able lens ... bonus
Still comes in close to a grand and a half CDN - which I'd say is about as wide as my wallet will open for an U.W. .

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks - and it is a 77mm filter-able lens ... bonus
Still comes in close to a grand and a half CDN - which I'd say is about as wide as my wallet will open for an U.W. .
You can shop it used on Kijiji. You could save about 400-600.

Danno

My apologies to your wife - and wallet.

My wife went a little overboard in the hand-made shoe shop recently, I have some license to try and keep up in the wallet draining department.

You say there is a 10mm prime? Only one Mr. Google could find for a Nikon was the for Nikon 1.

I have not decided whether I need to spend that extra grand to get a zoom for my D610 when I can get that Sigma 10-20 for my D7100 and have that as an option - I'd still have my existing 17-35 Tammy - and may still get a 20mm prime anyway. I do like options.

. . . but that 16-28 ...

I hear what you are saying... It is just a bunch of things to think about. I have the Sigma on my D7200 you talk about. I love the 10-20 mm zoom and I use it a lot. The 10 mm prime I borrowed was a Rokinon. I really liked it. Here is a link to it on B&H https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1039917-REG/rokinon_10maf_n_10mm_f_2_8_ed_as.html, but in the end I went with the Sigma 10-20 f3.5

Fortkentdad

I do look at some used sites - e.g. Henry's and B&H.
We don't do Kijiji in these parts (there are a few other similar) but I am leary if I don't know the vendor.

Fortkentdad

I hear what you are saying... It is just a bunch of things to think about. I have the Sigma on my D7200 you talk about. I love the 10-20 mm zoom and I use it a lot. The 10 mm prime I borrowed was a Rokinon. I really liked it. Here is a link to it on B&H https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1039917-REG/rokinon_10maf_n_10mm_f_2_8_ed_as.html, but in the end I went with the Sigma 10-20 f3.5

Ah - I was searching "Nikon 10mm" and didn't get a hit on that one.

I have considered manual focus (and full manual) lenses but given one of my interests is shooting dogs and other critters that don't sit still I decided to pass on the manual focus. If I were to go this way there are many to choose from - and prices are attractive.

That 10-20 3.5 is tempting at $550 CDN (to the end of April) and just have the UW option on the D7100. It would pack nicely if I go out with the 200-500 mounted birding and see a wide view that needs to be taken. I've tried stitching multiple 200mm shots to get one but a nice wide would be much easier and probably better.

Danno

Ah - I was searching "Nikon 10mm" and didn't get a hit on that one.

I have considered manual focus (and full manual) lenses but given one of my interests is shooting dogs and other critters that don't sit still I decided to pass on the manual focus. If I were to go this way there are many to choose from - and prices are attractive.

That 10-20 3.5 is tempting at $550 CDN (to the end of April) and just have the UW option on the D7100. It would pack nicely if I go out with the 200-500 mounted birding and see a wide view that needs to be taken. I've tried stitching multiple 200mm shots to get one but a nice wide would be much easier and probably better.

That would work very well. Many of my sunrise shots are taken with that lens on my D7200. I really like it, and it is comparable to the 15-30 on a full frame. I also like it on buildings. Hope you get a chance to look at one before the sale ends. It is a tough decision.

My driver is how I like the look of the 24mm 1.8D that I have on the D700 and it is giving me the itch to go a bit wider on that body. I am really enjoying the D700.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Sorry TS for piggy back your thread.

Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 or Tokina 17-35mm f4 PRO
Anyone had tried either one of these lenses ?
Am looking for one since I don't have UWA ...

Be aware there are 2 versions of the Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 lens. The first one is a 'D' lens and ISN'T rated well. The newer one is a 'G' lens and gets lots of accolades. I own it and find it to be fantastic! It's very lightweight (lots of plastic) but sooo sharp! In some of the DXO tests, it outperformed the Nikon 16-35mm f/4 lens in sharpness (just slightly though). The front element isn't bulbous so it doesn't suffer from lens flare like bulbous lenses can produce.

Fortkentdad

Be aware there are 2 versions of the Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 lens. The first one is a 'D' lens and ISN'T rated well. The newer one is a 'G' lens and gets lots of accolades. I own it and find it to be fantastic! It's very lightweight (lots of plastic) but sooo sharp! In some of the DXO tests, it outperformed the Nikon 16-35mm f/4 lens in sharpness (just slightly though). The front element isn't bulbous so it doesn't suffer from lens flare like bulbous lenses can produce.
And Tamron announced earlier this year another contender, a little wider at 10-24 but variable 3.5-4.5 http://www.tamron.ca/10-24mm-hld And the new Tammy will have VC - wonder if it will be available by Saturday?

Probably not.

And if you believe in rumours, Nikon may have a new Ultrawide later this year: https://nikonrumors.com/2017/03/21/...-to-be-ultra-wide-angle-or-fisheye-lens.aspx/
But that one is rumoured to be an FX lens.

Ruidoso Bill

I use the Nikon 14-24 2.8 everyday, take over 1000 shots a week, love this lens. I also have a Tamron 15-30, not even close in comparison to the Nikon.