ultra sharp wildlife pics

Dawg Pics

For some reason, when I try to resize the edited image, the clarity changes on my screen. However, when I look at the first image you didn't send from work ;), the leaves on the left side of the bird are very clear. There was some noise in the image that I could reduce, but even after it is sharpened, the bird's head and the berries around it look soft, almost like motion or it was not within the area of good focus.

Dawg Pics

How is your AF system set-up? I am wondering if it is shooting even if it doesn't quite have focus. The second image can be sharpened, but it looks very soft like you are firing before full focus is achieved.

Hobbit

How is your AF system set-up? I am wondering if it is shooting even if it doesn't quite have focus. The second image can be sharpened, but it looks very soft like you are firing before full focus is achieved.
now im glad you said that as recently ive been having focusing issues where the camera focuses, takes the shot but the shot is not in focus or worse still it focuses but won't take the shot , its very hit and miss but it hasn't focused right for a few good months , regardless of the lens attached , i thought it was just me. these were set on AF-A and 39point focus on the camera which is what i normally use.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
these were set on AF-A and 39point focus on the camera which is what i normally use.

You should switch to either AF-C OR AF-S. Most likely AF-A is causing some of your problems. You are allowing the camera to choose for you.

AF-C is for moving subjects. Have you watched this video?

Hobbit

You should switch to either AF-C OR AF-S. Most likely AF-A is causing some of your problems. You are allowing the camera to choose for you.

AF-C is for moving subjects. Have you watched this video?

thats the one i couldn't for some reason find , ive been trying to find his stuff as i think he explains things very well, i was looking at getting his understanding nikon focus book as well.

this was my lastest picture , a squirrel hanging upside down on the feeder
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wrgeece7u4wx941/DSC_2050.NEF?dl=0

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Forgot to mention that with 39 points, the camera must be choosing a point that is far enough away from what you want to be in sharp focus that it renders a sloft focus instead.

Fred Kingston

There are two focus menu settings you need to be aware of... A1 and A2... (I assume they're the same on the D5300... Sounds like you're not getting a focus lock... One setting fires whether focus is locked or not...the other, the shutter won't fire unless the camera has achieved focus lock...

Fred Kingston

Well, if it is... It's obviously thinking it has achieved focus lock... the question is, which focus square is actually achieving the lock. I always use single point focus... (I'm sure the bird guys are going to say that's wrong)

Needa

Challenge Team
Are you able to select focus point in your playback display options. This will allow you to see which focus point was used.

Vixen

Well, if it is... It's obviously thinking it has achieved focus lock... the question is, which focus square is actually achieving the lock. I always use single point focus... (I'm sure the bird guys are going to say that's wrong)

Not me. I use single point too

Fred Kingston

Using Nikon's ViewNX-I program, you can see where the focus point is in an image... In the image posted, the focus point is over the bird's eye and beak...but it clearly isn't in focus...

I would guess that lens is NOT calibrated and is either front or back focusing just a tad...

Hobbit

Using Nikon's ViewNX-I program, you can see where the focus point is in an image... In the image posted, the focus point is over the bird's eye and beak...but it clearly isn't in focus...

I would guess that lens is NOT calibrated and is either front or back focusing just a tad...
i know I can’t calibrate the lens on the D5300 when it’s mounted , I do have the sigma dock and software on my computer , that would explain why if the camera things it has attained focus and shoots.

BackdoorArts

As someone who used to wonder about this I think I've finally cracked the code.

Biggest factor for me is that it pays to shoot primes. That works both from the pocket perspective and the results perspective. I have a Sigma 150-600mm Sport and it's plenty sharp, but when I bought the 300mm f4 PF my head exploded from the first image. It really is sharper. I now shoot with a pair of D500's, one with the 300mm and one with the 500mm f5.6 PF. For years I told myself I could never spend the money, and I get that not everyone can, but after shooting with them I cannot go back. It is a huge factor in sharpness and OOF quality. And with the D500's having 10fps and a super focus system means a lot.

Next is shutter speed. High ISO is not your friend when you have little birds, but movement blur means that you probably ditch the shot, so better to have a sharp shot with noise than no shot. I'm almost never under 1/1600s any more. When they're sitting on a branch it doesn't matter, but when they jump during a burst it's the one that got away because it's blurring that you always want. If I can shoot at 1/2500 I'm there, which I usually can on a sunny day.

Finally it's all in post processing. I used to jump through hoops to find detail in my shots, but some of the new software is just too good not to use. I've reduced my workflow to this:
1. Import and crop in Lightroom. No edits other than an applied camera profile and lens correction; no noise reduction or sharpening. Then it's sent to Photoshop.
2. First step is to use Topaz Denoise AI. This both reduces noise and sharpens, but it does both selectively which means that the noise gets reduced without reducing details.
3. I now open it in Camera Raw Filter from within Photoshop and do all my light adjustments to the denoised image. I can take images that are -3EV from perfect exposure and bring them to life without adding noise. I do all the edits here that I used to do in Lightroom.
4. Now I apply any other corrections I would do in a normal Photoshop session. Remove unwanted objects (sometimes I do this before Camera Raw), dodge, burn, selective color adjustments, background blurring, etc.
5. I send it to Topaz Adjust AI which has separate Clarity (by luminosity level) and Detail (small, medium, large, and sharpen) sections. Here is where the image pops. In general I will only use the Detail and Sharpening sections, increasing the small details slightly (while decreasing the "boost" slider), and then boosting the medium details until it looks right. Then I'll notch up the sharpness slider if I think it needs it making sure I don't add halos. (Note: It has other sections that mimic some Camera Raw functions, and I guess it's meant to replace that function in the "Topaz Studio", but I find them to be less effective than ACR.)
6. I now stare at it and see if it needs anything. If I have a little haloing I use the blur tool on image edges. I might dodge and burn some more. And I might sent it back to Camera Raw to add vignetting.

That's it. My bird photos are better than they've ever been. Feel free to judge for yourself on my Instagram page.

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Question for you @BackdoorArts - Jake, you mentioned not using any sharpening or noise reduction in Lightroom. So do you reset the default sharpening and noise reduction to zero?

BackdoorArts

Question for you @BackdoorArts - Jake, you mentioned not using any sharpening or noise reduction in Lightroom. So do you reset the default sharpening and noise reduction to zero?

Noise Reduction is zero, sharpening I leave at the Lr default (25?), but I also have masking set to 85 so that it's only applied on edges. If it's a particularly noisy image I'll bring sharpening down to 0 first.

Woodyg3

Contributor
I'll just add 2 cents worth here and say that the shot Fred worked on and uploaded looks like subject blur rather than focus. I know you are having worries about noise, but shutter speed needs to be high enough to prevent subject blur, and this is especially true with newer, higher resolution cameras. There are many ways to improve noise in post processing, but subject blur can never really be corrected to get results that come with a good exposure in the first place.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Noise Reduction is zero, sharpening I leave at the Lr default (25?), but I also have masking set to 85 so that it's only applied on edges. If it's a particularly noisy image I'll bring sharpening down to 0 first.

Thanks, Jake. :)