Ugh. Doing family portrait tomorrow

wud

Senior Member
Could you set something like this up but using onboard speed light pointing backwards?

Gorgeous Soft Light With One Speedlite | DIYPhotography.net

I think that calls out for a white wall? Thats the main problem with outdoor shooting, for me, bad light situations and nothing white to bounce of.



Is this to much getting rid of shadows? I made 2 identical layers, use clone tool with a soft brush to cover the shadows and then a mask on the top layer, so I could erase the clone tool on the skin etc.

ekat_3925_web2.jpg
 

wud

Senior Member
Oh - now I get it, Scott. You mean, if I made an umbrella, and shoot the flash backwards into it. Not a bad idea.
 

Flugelbinder

Senior Member
I think that calls out for a white wall? Thats the main problem with outdoor shooting, for me, bad light situations and nothing white to bounce of.



Is this to much getting rid of shadows? I made 2 identical layers, use clone tool with a soft brush to cover the shadows and then a mask on the top layer, so I could erase the clone tool on the skin etc.

ekat_3925_web2.jpg
Don´t!!! It´s all about the shadows...
 

wud

Senior Member
Don´t!!! It´s all about the shadows...

Okay. Something in between?

ekat_3925 web3.JPG


Well, I had a bad feeling about this shoot from the beginning. I should be better saying either no, I do series, not single images in a hurry, or saying the light outside are not good enough, we do it at the studio.
 

Flugelbinder

Senior Member
I know next to nothing about post processing. The most I do is a bit of cropping, and I really rather crop when I shoot... If I don´t like how it looks I just tweak the settings and shoot again... For me this one looks better ;)
 

Scott Murray

Senior Member
Okay. Something in between?

View attachment 64461


Well, I had a bad feeling about this shoot from the beginning. I should be better saying either no, I do series, not single images in a hurry, or saying the light outside are not good enough, we do it at the studio.
I am not sure if its me but I find the shadows distracting, her nose shadow especially.
 

Scott Murray

Senior Member
Check the video link I posted. It´s simple and you will see the results. Maybe it´ll help you with the wedding... I´ve tried it and it really works (even on the old 3100)
I would BUT...

[h=1] [/h][h=1] WARNING! / ALERTE![/h]
The site «YouTube » uses a lot of bandwidth and may impact the Rio Tinto network.
✔ Click here if you have a legitimate business reason to view this site.

✖ Or, please close the browser or click the back button to cancel this request.

Ce site «YouTube » utilise beaucoup de bande passante et peut influer sur le réseau Rio Tinto.
✔ Cliquez ici si vous avez une raison légitime pour visionner ce site.
✖ Ou, fermez le navigateur ou cliquez sur le bouton retour pour annuler cette demande.

User : CORP\scott.murray   Your IP address : 10.207.188.134
 

RON_RIP

Senior Member
Despite everything and piddling technical issues aside, you captured a happy family interacting well together and I am sure that they are probably tickled pink about your photo.
 

BackdoorArts

Senior Member
I tried this very quickly, selected the background away into its own layer, feathered a bit, applied a field blur and then mixed it back in, opacity at about 65% and then a soft mask to smooth the transition. I think it helps diffuse the shadows a bit. Maybe with a little more time spent, care taken and experimentation. I probably should have also lightened the shadow area before mixing back in.

Portrait.jpg
 
A little off topic here so forgive me WUD but I think this needs to be said.

Constructive criticism is the process of offering valid and well-reasoned opinions about the work of others, usually involving both positive and negative comments, in a friendly manner rather than an oppositional one.

I think sometimes we forget this and need to be reminded. Be nice anytime that you are discussing anyone's work. It is perfectly OK to not like a photo but try to do it in a positive way. Cutting off heads and crooked photos are very popular today and people are requesting these photos all the time even for major websites. Do I like these photos? No. But that is no reason for me to put down a style of photography that is popular today. I might even try it to see if I can shoot one that I like.
 

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I tried this very quickly, selected the background away into its own layer, feathered a bit, applied a field blur and then mixed it back in, opacity at about 65% and then a soft mask to smooth the transition. I think it helps diffuse the shadows a bit. Maybe with a little more time spent, care taken and experimentation. I probably should have also lightened the shadow area before mixing back in.

View attachment 64466

The very first thing I saw in this photo was a little extra headroom. I hadn't even looked to see who posted it so I assumed it was wud. I definitely like overall view because of the extra space at the top. Nice touch with the background and shadow editing, Jake! ;)
 
Top