Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Review

oldsalt

That portrait is very sharp - you should be pleased with your new purchase... hmmmmm do I need another lens ???... just let me think....

NVSteve

That portrait is very sharp - you should be pleased with your new purchase... hmmmmm do I need another lens ???... just let me think....

Which one? The 2 I posted that resemble portraits are actually cropped out of much larger scenes. I'm positive that full resolution portraits will look fantastic, but I haven't had a chance to shoot any yet.

After my own testing, looks like I'm going to keep the Nikon f4 for all of my outdoor shooting/hiking, the Tamron for all the indoor & low light stuff, and sell the Tamron 70-300. The difference between 200mm & 300mm just isn't that huge on a 24mp sensor that affords lots of cropping ability. And I'd much rather have clean & sharp at 200mm than not so sharp at 300mm.

NVSteve

They look spot on! I think Matt Granger recently didn't another head to head with the Tamron, Nikon and Canon 70-200 and he said the Tamron was a True 70-200. The 70-300 Tamron isn't as sharp as the others but it's pretty good also. I might pick that lens up soon for the extra distance.

Matt's latest video isn't as in-depth as his prior tests, but it's something I guess: BEST 70-200mm f2.8 lens - YouTube

And just as an aside, the Pearstone Onyx 80 lens case fits the Tamron quite well. I think I paid all of $16 for it.

frtorres87

gutybutu.jpg

tasy3enu.jpg

y5anu5yb.jpg

9y7y6yny.jpg

Some more shots taken with the Tamron 70-200, I'm loving this lens.

NVSteve

frtorres87, did you have to make any lens corrections to the body, or are you satisfied with it straight out of the box? At some point, I want to plug in a bunch of different values to see if I can improve anything or just leave everything at 0. Not that I'm seeing anything wrong, just that if I try all the different adjustment values & the results are improved, that's a plus in my book.

frtorres87

Steve, I did not make any lens corrections to my D7100 body. I am very satisfied with the out of the box performance of this lens. I am open to suggestions if you stumble across some adjustments to your camera in order to get better pictures. But in my experience as long as your focus is on the picture quality is top notch.

NVSteve

I won't have any time until December to try anything. I'm curious about it because I have seen sample photos posted on the net before without any corrections (various lenses) and the focus seemed on, but the photos that are then posted with corrections showed them being even more "on." Even though mine look okay so far, I'm still wondering if I can tweak out a bit more with the lens at f2.8 & 200mm than I can now.

geralph

frtorres87 -- those wildlife shots are incredible! Thanks for sharing the great results you are getting with this lens. I am still pondering the f4 from Nikon but will consider the Tamron to pair with my D7100.

NVSteve

Came today, haven't had a chance to try it on the camera yet. I know it weighs less then the Nikon, but it still is a beast.

Not that much less than the Nikon. It isn't that heavy, but my left wrist sure isn't used to it. I have been supporting the weight (body & lens) with my right hand "death grip" only for years, so my left is completely out of its element here.

NVSteve

I bought the old version and the IQ is perfect but the focus speed is painfully slow.

Understood. I had the same problem with all my wonderful 4/3rds lenses on the Olympus E-M5. Nothing more frustrating than a lens which operates seemingly 1,000x slower than what we actually want/need.