Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC Test

vindex1963

9036072371_b3eb25d31a_b.jpg

Rick M

I have another free rental coupon, will save it to try it again when something is going on like a family event or wedding. I spent too much time testing it when I had it.

Rick M

Rick, can I ask you why you did not buy it?

I was not really ready at the time, but the free rental was expiring. I have been debating between a good people/event lens and a high quality P&S for tourism/travel (casual shots for the family album kind of stuff). I don't want to bring the D600 into a theme park, but want some decent pics.

To make a long story longer, I was really just curious about it and wanted to see if I wanted to own it someday. I picked up a Canon G15 for my casual stuff and this lens will probably be my next target. Since I'm not in a rush, I'd like to see if the price comes down a bit. I'm also thinking that Nikon will probably update the current 24-70 2.8 within the next year and the price of this lens may go down. After another 3k in lenses this year I need to be a bit more patient.

Mestre

I just traded my Sigma for this Tamron, the weather sealing and the VC (as well as a good sale price for the Sigma :) ) convinced me. It was delivered yesterday so this weekend will be trial time.

But I do like the build of the lens, very solid. At home I shot a couple pics in low light to try the VC and it gave me a couple stops advantage.

Rick M

I just traded my Sigma for this Tamron, the weather sealing and the VC (as well as a good sale price for the Sigma :) ) convinced me. It was delivered yesterday so this weekend will be trial time.

But I do like the build of the lens, very solid. At home I shot a couple pics in low light to try the VC and it gave me a couple stops advantage.

The VC is really amazing. Some folks don't like how it freezes the image, but I happen to like that effect. Lets me know it's working and again, I was surprised how much I used it. The build is excellent. Post some shots when you get a chance!

Mestre

Ric, NAS bit strongly in July :)
I traded my 24-70, sold my 70-300 and my 50 i wasn't using that much and ordered a 70-200 f/4.

I bought my wife's silence with a V1 for her birthday, together with a FT-1, so i guess i'm done for the next couple years :)

Rick M

Ric, NAS bit strongly in July :)
I traded my 24-70, sold my 70-300 and my 50 i wasn't using that much and ordered a 70-200 f/4.

I bought my wife's silence with a V1 for her birthday, together with a FT-1, so i guess i'm done for the next couple years :)

Couple years? :).

I've done some re-organizing with my gear as well. Sold my 70-300 to buy the 70-200 f4 also, along with my 85 since the 70-200 is an excellent portrait lens and it covers 85. Picked up the new 18-35g which I like so much I sold the 28mm. Next on my list is this lens and I should be content for a while (or maybe not).

vindex1963

Looking forward to seeing some samples. I'm very happy with mine and if I had to do it over again I would buy the exact same lens.

"I bought my wife's silence" :cool: That's funny!!!

vindex1963

Couple years? :).

I've done some re-organizing with my gear as well. Sold my 70-300 to buy the 70-200 f4 also, along with my 85 since the 70-200 is an excellent portrait lens and it covers 85. Picked up the new 18-35g which I like so much I sold the 28mm. Next on my list is this lens and I should be content for a while (or maybe not).

Content what fun is that?