Tamron 15-30 VC, post your shots

NVSteve

View attachment 153012View attachment 153013View attachment 153014View attachment 153015

This is the Lowepro 11 X 14 cm lens case and it's about as close to perfect as it's going to get. This lens case attaches to your Lowepro camera bag as many of you already know. I'm ready to travel!!!! Soon..

Is the lens cap on the lens within the Lowepro? I noticed on another of my bags that it would pretty much pull off the lens cap every time the lens was removed from the case. The Lowepro case looks perfect-thanks for posting this!

vindex1963

Waiting for a sunny day.

Attachments

• ASC_3537.jpg
    ASC_3537.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 365

NVSteve

That is with the cap on and it doesn't pull off it's a good snug fit.

Received mine today, thanks again for posting the info for it. Also have Lightroom 6 installed, which includes lens correction for the Tamron, along with the latest ACR update for Photoshop.

I started processing a few thousand photos a couple of days ago, so I will start posting up some samples soon. One thing I did notice, in bright light, is that I have to dial in negative exposure compensation when shooting with this lens. Haven't had to do that with any of my other lenses. I can also report that the hood is not large enough to keep raindrops off the lens, although I would imagine the mighty Nikon version also has this same problem. Unfortunately, I didn't discover this until way after the fact when I started processing my pictures. Lots of heat, humidity and rain have pummeled this lens with no ill effects whatsoever.

vindex1963

Received mine today, thanks again for posting the info for it. Also have Lightroom 6 installed, which includes lens correction for the Tamron, along with the latest ACR update for Photoshop.

I started processing a few thousand photos a couple of days ago, so I will start posting up some samples soon. One thing I did notice, in bright light, is that I have to dial in negative exposure compensation when shooting with this lens. Haven't had to do that with any of my other lenses. I can also report that the hood is not large enough to keep raindrops off the lens, although I would imagine the mighty Nikon version also has this same problem. Unfortunately, I didn't discover this until way after the fact when I started processing my pictures. Lots of heat, humidity and rain have pummeled this lens with no ill effects whatsoever.

Glad to help and am looking forward to seeing your results. I've noticed the color saturation with this lens is amazing. Happy to hear the weather proofing holds up I'm going to Niagara Falls in a couple months.

I love this.

Thank you gave the shot a cool perspective.

NVSteve

Fantastic examples from this lens. Do you notice how it grabs colors?

It does, especially when conditions are perfect. I probably should have spent some more time getting used to the lens before taking it along on a photo-intensive trip. But, I can say that I'm far more pleased with the majority of my shots than I ever was with the 16-35. I used it quite often, but mostly bagged it for the last half of my trip because greater reach was of more importance. Still super impressed with the results I got from the 24-120. I'm also still looking for a good travel cam that is smaller and won't take up the majority of my carry on bag. What I really wish is if Nikon would offer bodies in white, tan, or some other light color. Black bodies and lenses really absorb a ton of heat (borderline hand burning hot), and it seems like everywhere I go is really hot.

NVSteve

Okay, so I pretty much never use VR/VC on any of my lenses. Mostly because my higher ISO shooting always seems to involve movement. I have also always been a focus & recompose type shooter, always setting my cameras to have a single, super fine focus point in the center of the viewfinder because I don't want the camera to choose its own. I think I may have tried the VC on the Tamron, but forgot to turn it off for a while. Or, my focus & recompose technique simply wasn't working for me (very large area through the viewfinder). I noticed a few of my ISO100 shots, with a 1/400th or faster shutter speed, ended up a bit blurred. For the most part, the lens nailed everything I asked of it, although it is prone to overexposing on my D600. I also used the AEL button so often that my finger was hurting a bit & I kept muttering that Nikon should have placed it closer to the grip. I definitely need to play around with this lens a bit more and do some testing with it to see what adjustments I need to make when shooting with it. I didn't have this problem with the 16-35 (aside from crappy edge performance), but I also didn't shoot anything super contrasty like I did with Tamron.

Anyway, a few more.

15mm f/2.8, excellent across the entire frame:

18665626029_224b231e44_o.jpg

18665630159_3c4c04f2f4_o.jpg

18664118010_b1c48c69ca_o.jpg

18846686302_87d45b622a_o.jpg

18851865755_d46edd3d60_o.jpg

vindex1963

You know I turn the VC on and forget about it and I've has some high shutter blurred shots not only on this lens but my other Tamrons you bring up an interesting point. Maybe it's the effect that can happen with VC and a tripod but instead of a tripod it's fast shutter speeds. Interesting I thought it was me doing something wrong and maybe it is sometimes but maybe not all of the time.

NVSteve

You know I turn the VC on and forget about it and I've has some high shutter blurred shots not only on this lens but my other Tamrons you bring up an interesting point. Maybe it's the effect that can happen with VC and a tripod but instead of a tripod it's fast shutter speeds. Interesting I thought it was me doing something wrong and maybe it is sometimes but maybe not all of the time.

I went through some of the problem pictures again & I think VC may very well be the culprit. I'm pretty certain I have never even tried the VC on my 70-200, which would make sense since I have yet to come across any type of focusing issue with that lens. A number of my blurrier looking shots were also taken at f/7.1, along with the fast shutter speed, so I don't think tilting the lens up to focus & then down to recompose is the problem (although it very well may be). But, since I was shooting scenes containing super bright and super dark, I am fairly certain the only thing I was doing was tilting the lens up to lock exposure, then tilting down to focus. Like I said, I really need to play around with it a bit more.

NVSteve

These aren't the greatest. The only good light was in the mornings and evenings-everything between was horrid. I picked out a bunch with varying focal lengths to give an idea of the distortion or lack thereof.

18274633234_6f2ddc502c_o.jpg

18709492398_d775642bd6_o.jpg

18709489288_f8e883c622_o.jpg

18899924021_a969bd1bb6_o.jpg

18710992579_085e79cd31_o.jpg

18891914942_b3cd3ab042_o.jpg

18274597424_95ec4fde5f_o.jpg

18870874926_9b8b383c2c_o.jpg

18276487493_256d798e26_o.jpg

18710919129_e2dac13d6c_o.jpg

18709431330_5fd68a63ae_o.jpg

18710951089_87a5f0c235_o.jpg

18709418820_66d27b401c_o.jpg

18897110685_259ce01222_o.jpg

18709423568_1151240483_o.jpg

18274559454_4b254225e8_o.jpg

vindex1963

What an amazing place and as far as distortion it's "lack there of" for sure. Lack of distortion
is one of the first things I picked up on.

NVSteve

What an amazing place and as far as distortion it's "lack there of" for sure. Lack of distortion
is one of the first things I picked up on.

I agree. When I load up a 16mm shot from the 16-35, then check the lens correction box in lightroom, the resulting (massive) change is like flipping the TV channel from one to the next. Doing the same with the Tamron at 15mm, there is only a slightly perceptible change.

ditonics

Some great shots guys.

I am on the cusp of ordering one of these mighty lenses.
The only thing holding me back is the lack of circ pol and ND filter support.

Have any filter makers come up with a system that can be used with this lens?

Do you guys that already own one miss having filters? I like to work with NDs and circ pol a lot and think I might miss them.

Thanks

NVSteve

I don't miss the ability to use filters, but I'm also not much of a filter guy. I have a few filters for the 24-120, but rarely ever need to break them out for any reason, let alone bring them along in the first place. I don't have the links, but I know there is at least one filter mount available & one other that is either in the works, or is available now. Discovered that from one of the other photography forums discussing this lens.