Sigma 100-400 image sample thread (post yours if you have one)

mikew_RIP

I now dont thinki its stopping down it looks like something is wrong,ihave no idea why it happens to me.

This is from when i was happy with the lens, being wild life shots it can't be two samples exactly the same

35783818351_9f66c2e05f_o.jpg

mikew_RIP

Will have to try the sample of what its like now in this post,i cant get two images in one post.

No its locked up with the image stuck in the upload box

mikew_RIP

Will try for two images in the same post,i have just reset the AF speed to normal,i changed it soon after getting the lens so i dont see it can be the cause but a couple of samples images from today.

First at F6.3

DSC_3043-f6.3.jpg

Now F9

DSC_3044-f9.jpg

Camera
NIKON D500

Focal Length
400mm

Aperture
f/9

Exposure
1/500s

ISO

Both Raw with the standard ACR sharpening and 25% unsharp mask. it looks like F9 has the edge to me,maybe it was the fast focus that was causing the problem,more checks needed.

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

Looks like i may have developed back focus in the camera ,ok i wasnt spot on the front chick but it looks sharper further back,no editing just converted from raw for posting,i would have thought this would have shown up from day one plus stopping down should improve the situation (sort of)

Just thought the first one has had some PP in the sense its a screen grab from view which applys the camera jpeg settings.

Capture.JPG

DSC_3109crop.jpg

lokatz

Nice shot. As far as the back focus goes, you are right: the eye of the rear duckling looks sharper than that of the one in front. Be careful not to judge from a small number of shots, though - there is always a little bit of variance in the AF system

mikew_RIP

Nice shot. As far as the back focus goes, you are right: the eye of the rear duckling looks sharper than that of the one in front. Be careful not to judge from a small number of shots, though - there is always a little bit of variance in the AF system

The problem is most of the time you dont get staggered subjects like that,as ime unhappy anyway i am just setting a focus target up,not going with the dock calibrations at the moment just the in the camera adjustments.

lokatz

I do that for all my lenses. It is always a compromise since you can adjust zooms only for one focal length, but works well enough anyway.

mikew_RIP

Going back to my old way as this is confusing me,all it wants to do is give -2 and that does not seem right :confused:

Before tuning

DSC_3180before.jpg

After tuning

DSC_3201after.jpg

Rather smugly i ditched my fine tune target when i went mirrorless and now i cant find the same type for free download,i want the test target and a sloping ruler type of thing,will keep looking.

lokatz

I recommend this thing. Not free, but almost so, and it works very well since you have both, a vertical focusing target and a 45-degree scale that makes identifying front/back focus easy.

Needa

Challenge Team
Going back to my old way as this is confusing me,all it wants to do is give -2 and that does not seem right :confused:

Before tuning

View attachment 265971

After tuning

View attachment 265972

Rather smugly i ditched my fine tune target when i went mirrorless and now i cant find the same type for free download,i want the test target and a sloping ruler type of thing,will keep looking.

Is this the one?
https://petapixel.com/2013/03/12/gh...tion-tool-for-micro-adjustment-enabled-dslrs/

mikew_RIP

After looking at this shot ime not going to mess around with fine tune,it was great and something has changed so i will try to borrow a different lens for the weekend to eliminate the body,ok i missed its eye but at these settings and focal length, it should be spot on.

Capturegull.JPG

DSC_3098.jpg

mikew_RIP

Looks like i have a lens problem,just run through the automatic fine tune as is generally recomended ie 10 shots and record the different values.

I used 3 different targets one for each of the tests the last one was a brick wall in good but not glaring light, tripod mounted stabilizing off, the results are interesting

+3
+1

I didn't bother taking away the two extreme values and setting an average as i felt it was too inconsistent, instead i borrowed a S/h Tamron 150-600. just need to edit some of them but they are worlds better than i have been getting this past week or two.

mikew_RIP

Dont know if i have cracked it or not,its too early in the morning here for decent light,i put the test charts away and set the lens at what my gut feeling was,hopefully will get some bird shots later.
Why it suddenly devolved such a large back focus issue i dont know but will give it one more chance before it goes back to Sigma,thats the beauty of a three year warranty.

DSC_3439.jpg

mikew_RIP

Well i think i have cracked it,somehow a couple of weeks ago the lens developed back focus, the D500 auto af tune was driving me spare so i did itby eye.

This has been processed in fastone as adobe has decided my licence for Elements 15 has expired, licence i dont need one i bought the program.

DSC_3492.jpg

mikew_RIP

What a weekend,just had to roll my computer back to day 1 and start all over again,still ime now back into Elements 15 and a lot happier about the images.

DSC_3587.jpg