SB-900 worth it?

johnwartjr

Nikon's refurbs are a good way to save some money...

Nikon Store - Refurbished Flashes

I use the SB-900, have a couple of them actually as I decided I needed a backup.

I have shot with people who use the SB-600, and it's a fine flash, but there are occasions where you need more power. I shot a wedding reception in a room as dark as a cave with another photographer, I had the SB900 and she used the SB600, and her flash couldn't keep up with mine.

But, most aren't *that* dark!

fotojack

Has anyone considered the newest flash.....the SB-700? Maybe that one would suit your needs. I'm just throwin' it out there. :)

johnwartjr......good idea on the Nikon Store refurbished strobes. I never thought of that. :)

johnwartjr

Can you even buy the SB-700 yet? I didn't think it was officially available yet.

The pics that Ranie has posted with his multiple SB-900 setup are inspiring... gives me a goal to reach for, some day!

Curt

I saw on Youtube that the SB 800 was tested up against the SB 900, and the 800 re cycled faster with the re cycle pack. I have heard that people have had problems with the 900 over heating. I have a 800 and it works great, fast re cycle time as well.

johnwartjr

I remember that video. The SB800 recycle with 5 AAs was a fraction of a second faster.

The SB-900 firmware update pretty much fixed the overheating problem. I've used mine a ton and never had a problem.

I went with SB-900 because it was a smidge more powerful, and it was actually a little cheaper at the time. I think people were still afraid of the SB-900 overheating, so they were scarfing up 800s.

My dad has an 800 and it's a great flash.

photobugjb

Hi All,
I shoot for a living, so the 900's are my pick. I do also own the 600 it is a great little speedlight. No one said anything about the new 700, seems to me that might be a good way to go, most of the features of the 900 yet smaller and less$$$.

Jack

Ruidoso Bill

I remember that video. The SB800 recycle with 5 AAs was a fraction of a second faster.

The SB-900 firmware update pretty much fixed the overheating problem. I've used mine a ton and never had a problem.

I went with SB-900 because it was a smidge more powerful, and it was actually a little cheaper at the time. I think people were still afraid of the SB-900 overheating, so they were scarfing up 800s.

My dad has an 800 and it's a great flash.

I need to look into the 5th battery, I have been caught short due to the recycle a couple of times. I'm also curious about some of the external battery packs, home brew types using larger rechargeable 6V batteries you can buy at home improvement stores.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I have the SB800 and I don't use many of the functions that it has and often prefer to carry the SB400 due to its lack of bulk and the lessened chance of getting it knocked off from the shoe. In retrospect, the SB600 would have been the right choice.

I also have the SB800 and SB400. I use the SB800 when I have more time to set a shot up (e.g. portrait), but since the majority of my photography is travel related, I like a small kit which makes the SB400 perfect. They both serve a purpose and I wouldn't want to part with either.

naja

I use Lithium Batteries and they last a very long time and recycle very quickly indeed. I can do multiple flash shots without any problem

Pearl of Wisdom
A photograph is created in the eye, heart and brain; and only captured by the camera.