Rokinon 14mm on Nikon D750

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
FYI, if it hasn't been mentioned, LR and ACR will do this as well. In the Lens Correction section there are various evaluation buttons that will auto-correct, either for Verticals, Horizontals, Full Perspective and an "Auto" which evaluates all of it and attempts to correct it in a balanced way (it's very good most of the time).

....if anyone reading didn't know that these features exist in software they may already have then they should check it out before thinking they may have to spend more money. Between the Lens Correction section in Lr and Free Transform in Ps I'm covered for this stuff.

I for one didn't know software could auto correct distortion. I just tried it out on a shot that I figured would be difficult to correct (a wide angle shot with both vertical and horizontal distortion). Worked beautifully. Thanks for the info! :)

480sparky

Does your tripod head have more than one bubble level on it? This first photo looks like the camera was tilted up just slightly. It's barely noticeable, but there is a hint of parallax going on. That can be seen in the two closest supports (they are closer together at their bases than at their tops), and the closest windows on each side show the edges aren't quite parallel to the sides of the photo.

Amazing shots none-the-less! I need to spend more time with my 14mm lens. Generally I tend to carry no more than 3 lenses with me due to the weight of my bag which happen to be three zooms. Glad you are enjoying your lens. I remember you commented several times about wanting a 14mm! :)

Actually, that kind of perspective distortion would be a result of the camera being pointed down.

That said, I can see a bit of optical distortion in both the windows and the vertical posts. They're barrelled. It difficult to find any compound distortion due to lack of known, long, straight lines running parallel to the frame at the edges of the images.

Does your tripod head have more than one bubble level on it? This first photo looks like the camera was tilted up just slightly. It's barely noticeable, but there is a hint of parallax going on. That can be seen in the two closest supports (they are closer together at their bases than at their tops), and the closest windows on each side show the edges aren't quite parallel to the sides of the photo.

Amazing shots none-the-less! I need to spend more time with my 14mm lens. Generally I tend to carry no more than 3 lenses with me due to the weight of my bag which happen to be three zooms. Glad you are enjoying your lens. I remember you commented several times about wanting a 14mm! :)

Not using a bubble level at all. Using the virtual horizon the is in the camera in live view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI, if it hasn't been mentioned, LR and ACR will do this as well. In the Lens Correction section there are various evaluation buttons that will auto-correct, either for Verticals, Horizontals, Full Perspective and an "Auto" which evaluates all of it and attempts to correct it in a balanced way (it's very good most of the time).

Here's your shot with the Full Perspective correction...

View attachment 194844

Not a whole lot different than Viewpoint. My reason for posting is not to knock Viewpoint in any way but to simply state that if anyone reading didn't know that these features exist in software they may already have then they should check it out before thinking they may have to spend more money. Between the Lens Correction section in Lr and Free Transform in Ps I'm covered for this stuff.

I have used and still use LR for most corrections. Viewpoint is just faster and easier to us use for ones that have a lot of straight lines.

The reason for not using any corrections at all for the two factory shots was to show that shooting correctly can get you very close making it easy to correct and small problems if you want. That being said I am not sure that you can correct all the distortion in a shot done at 14mm. But for most purposes most people will not see the problem at all and the increased view is more important than the errors it produces.