RockyNH's 365/Daily Pics

RockyNH_RIP

Morning all... Today is 11/12/2012 and this weekend worked on a couple things photographic...

The 1st, being new, I have yet to shoot any action stuff so took a run over to the local skate board park where I found some mountain bikes in action! While nothing too exotic, I was actually pleased for my 1st attempt at capturing some action..

DSC_1109.jpg DSC_1111.jpg

DSC_1110.jpg DSC_1113.jpg

DSC_1120.jpg DSC_1122.jpg

DSC_1125.jpg DSC_1127.jpg

I was pleased as focus was decent, did not have any throwaways for blurr... touch to catch them just right, had some throwaways for missing the action!! :beguiled:

Pat in NH

Last edited:

AxeMan - Rick S.

Nice stop action Rocky. Keep up the good work. We have a skate park here but they don't allow bikes. My step children are in the bike crowd not the skateboard crowd so I don't spend anytime at the skate park. One question why spot metering?

RockyNH_RIP

Nice stop action Rocky. Keep up the good work. We have a skate park here but they don't allow bikes. My step children are in the bike crowd not the skateboard crowd so I don't spend anytime at the skate park. One question why spot metering?

Thanks Rick! I appreciate the.. there is another park in my town but I do not think it is as busy.. and I am not sure but I think it is skateboards only..

As to Spot Metering... yes, Let me say that one of my biggest faults is changing things around and forgetting to change them back. The night before I was taking a lot of pictures indoors at a party and fundraiser in low light. Since most were portrait style, I had set spot focus and meter to capture faces...

Guess what I forgot to change back the next day!!!??? I caught it when I was setting up for the HDR's just AFTER the skate park. I was lucky that the lighting was pretty even that they still came out ok... I still have t get my "mental" checklist working when I cange shoots... In essence, rookie mistake/accident.

Pat in NH

AxeMan - Rick S.

Well if it make you feel any better I had two mistakes in one day last week. One, walked out of the house with out the memory card in the camera, yep it was still sitting in the card reader. Lucky for me I caught it BEFORE I pulled away from the house. Number two, on the same day same shot I left my auto focus on manual.

I'm not going to admit how many times I've put the camera up to my eye, only to still find the lens cap on.

So don't feel bad or call it a rookie mistake it happens to all of us, some of us just hate to admit it. LOL

RockyNH_RIP

Well if it make you feel any better I had two mistakes in one day last week. One, walked out of the house with out the memory card in the camera, yep it was still sitting in the card reader. Lucky for me I caught it BEFORE I pulled away from the house. Number two, on the same day same shot I left my auto focus on manual.

I'm not going to admit how many times I've put the camera up to my eye, only to still find the lens cap on.

So don't feel bad or call it a rookie mistake it happens to all of us, some of us just hate to admit it. LOL

Ok, nice to know I am not the only one... I have done the Manual Focus, left it on bracketing and then took 3 different photos, guess what happened to 2 of them!!?? Also adjust exposure for a special occurrence then forgot to set it back.

Anyone, after the action shots, I did a few HDR's, some posted in the HDR thread but figured I would put 2 here in my daily...

DSC_1140_1_2_tonemapped.jpg DSC_1131_2_3_tonemapped.jpg

I have some sunrise shots a couple fog from this morning to process and a few more street portrait shots from the other night and a couple with my Ural Motorcycle riding dog! I will be busy the next 2 nights!

Pat in NH

Last edited by a moderator:

RockyNH_RIP

Ok, here we are, 11/13/2012 - Day 318! Here are a couple more of my attempt at Street Portraits.. Again, must remind everyone, the BAD is all mine, the good "credit" goes to RickSawthat for the inspiration and help.

DSC_0787.jpg

DSC_0805.jpg

DSC_0801.jpg

Hmmm... wondering what is on the ground!!??? :p

Have a great Tuesday everyone..

Pat in NH

RockyNH_RIP

Morning Everyone! Day 319... 11/14/2012
Today I have a couple flowers (did several and posting 2 here and 2 others in the flower thread..) We have a new floral arrangement brought into the work lobby every Monday. (that's where most of my flower shots of late come from)

Light was bad, really grey outside (early am) and even with the lobby lights on light was too low for my 18-55mm 3.5. Had to kick the ISO up a bit and between blur and grain, threw most away. Even these, I know that I can do better... I got my 50mm F/1.8 prime last night so I am gonna shoot some more today with that lens and see if I can improve... Anyway, here they are ... Enjoy!

DSC_1164.jpg DSC_1165.jpg

Have a great day everyone....

Pat in NH

RockyNH_RIP

Day 320, 11/15/2012! I did some test shots with the 50mm F/1.8

Here are a couple florals (2 others are in the floral thread...)

DSC_1190.jpg DSC_1191.jpg

These are NOT formal portraits.. just a couple to test the performance of the 50mm
Shot inside the workplace with fluorescent lights..

DSC_1203.jpg DSC_1210.jpg

I like how the background was blown out well in the 1st, and decent in the 2nd considering the distance further back and I was pleased with the detail in that one..

Have a great day everyone.. Hoping to be able to do some samples with the 35mm this weekend and some more with the 50 outdoors in natural light...

Pat in NH

RockyNH_RIP

Day 321, 11/16/12.... I really have nothing new as work has kept me too occupied.. So.. I will dip into a couple Street portraits I have not shared yet...

Nothing to the left.........

DSC_0772.jpg

And nothing to the right.. Guess it is safe...

DSC_0775.jpg

Have a great Friday (TGIF) and a great Weekend..
(I plan to do a couple shoots this weekend)

Pat in NH

RockyNH_RIP

Day 322 - 11/172012
I took a bunch of pics with the 50mm F/1.8 to try it out... these are all pics from work... Product Photos..

These 3 are Graphite EDM electrodes to make some of the steel tools from which we mold plastic parts!

DSC_1243.jpg

DSC_1240.jpg

DSC_1242.jpg

This shot is a small pile of plastic molded parts on my desk..

DSC_1255.jpg

Enjoy everyone, have a great weekend!

Pat in NH

RockyNH_RIP

Day 322 - 11/172012Wow, I have admired all the bird photos on this site and I had an opportunity today to snap some... Let me say, it is NOT easy to catch in flight and get a good focus... Anyway, here are a few that I took...

DSC_1283.jpg

DSC_1298.jpg

DSC_1308.jpg

I will put some more up tomorrow...Pat in NH

Last edited:

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Thank you very much... I have to pick your brain someday on how you capture those flying images...

PAT in NH

Just point and hope the focus locks on, then just keep clicking until the bird is to far away! That's my method!

I need a bigger viewfinder. I don't use live view, but sometimes I think I should when I'm trying for flying birds!

RockyNH_RIP

Day 323 - 11/18/12 - More birds... these are all flight... various quality but best I could get..

DSC_1292.jpg DSC_1306.jpg

DSC_1297.jpg DSC_1300.jpg

enjoy and have a great day.....

pat in NH

Last edited:

RockyNH_RIP

Thanks.... with the help of you and others, I will get better with each shoot... I appreciate all the sincere help from all the people here~!

Pat in NH