Rick's Olympus Adventures

RockyNH_RIP

Thanks! I'm keeping my Nikon 1 system, so I still have legitimacy here :). Actually the N1 system is perfect for kayaking/travel/casual use so I'm quite attached to it.

Great to see that you are staying around... look forward to seeing your images!

Pat in GA

AxeMan - Rick S.

Well good luck Rick, I can't wait to see some of that HDR work you do. Would be interesting to see if you could duplicate one of your HDR shots, I was thinking the "falls" just to see how well it compares to you Nikon shot. Just food for thought lol.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I did have a good talk with my local camera store last weekend about making a switch too. The thing he warned me about is the service support in Canada of Oly and Sony. He said that he thought their service was almost crappy. He said the only 2 trustable companies for service in Canada were Nikon and Canon. I don't know if this would apply in the USA, but he did warn me about that aspect of a possible switch.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I did have a good talk with my local camera store last weekend about making a switch too. The thing he warned me about is the service support in Canada of Oly and Sony. He said that he thought their service was almost crappy. He said the only 2 trustable companies for service in Canada were Nikon and Canon. I don't know if this would apply in the USA, but he did warn me about that aspect of a possible switch.

Locally here in North Carolina, (but south of Canada), we only have 1 camera store. I guess I'd have to ship mine out to California most likely. I'll have to check on that. One good thing is that a mirrorless camera has less moving parts!

edit: I just found out I'd have to send my camera to Laredo, Tx for repairs....glad i don't have any problems with it as of yet!

Last edited:

AC016

Interesting that they would say that. Not saying that they are lying, but i am a bit skeptical of their statement. I assume you know them well and he was just giving you a friendly "warning". But hey, all camera companies have less then perfect customer service, we have even read about some negatives about Nikon right here. I briefly scanned a Sony forum and from what i saw, Sony service seems to be good. Keep in mind that Sony has a pretty deep electronics line-up and are not just repairing cameras; therefore, they have a pretty extensive network of repair centers and have had so for many years. I would be more wary of Olympus. I just question someone who sells a particular product, but steers you away from it, only to suggest another product. There is something behind that. Anyhow, good luck in your choice.

Rick M

I guess i've been lucky, with the exception of the d600, i've never had to send anything in. My dealer does not stock oly but was at a dealer show and fell in love with the new oly EM10. He is ordering some now for the store. I guess after all the research, I cant not buy it on "what ifs". The new pro lenses are unmatched in mirrorless by anyone else. Time will tell!

Last edited:

Rick M

Well good luck Rick, I can't wait to see some of that HDR work you do. Would be interesting to see if you could duplicate one of your HDR shots, I was thinking the "falls" just to see how well it compares to you Nikon shot. Just food for thought lol.

Yes I'm anxious to compare! Although i have learned it is hard to duplicate a second time around. I will be critical of the results, hopefully i will be pleasantly surprised. I have some falls in mind for this weekend. I'll start a separate Oly image thread so everyone can see my results. I'm a bit nervous with this change, but i feel I needed to.

Rick M

Looks like you made a great choice, Rick! If you find a good forum (nothing beats this one), for all cameras, let me know. Hope you have a warmer than normal winter!

I haven't found any in the US that was very active. Another member recommended a UK site which looks good. I will be staying here and swaying all of you to the dark side

Blacktop

I will be staying here and swaying all of you to the dark side
emoji39.png

I'm glad you're staying, but you won't be swaying me any where.:)
I like the feel of my 7100,and I even wish it was a little sturdier like the 300. Maybe when I get to be your age and find it hard to lift a couple of pounds I may switch.:cower:

(no offence intended, just breaking some grapes):cool:

Pretzel

GLAD you're hanging around, but definitely won't be swaying me to the "dark side" (although I already feel I'm most of the way there, for some strange reason). Like @Blacktop, I'm also one of those that like the feel of a more substantial camera body in my hands, and at this point in my life, don't mind lugging my D7100 and a few lenses in my sling pack.

Those smaller things make my hands cramp! LOL I actually got the D3100 out the other day and wondered how I did it without a grip for so long...

That's a sharp looking rig, though, and I love the look of the metal lenses. Looking forward to seeing your shots, as always!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I haven't found any in the US that was very active. Another member recommended a UK site which looks good. I will be staying here and swaying all of you to the dark side

Well, maybe we can ask John to open up a "General Photography" website embedded in this one. A place where pictures would be the main concern, no brand bashing or defense. I think it might be a nice addition if we can manage it well.