RAW Colour cast problem

robbins.photo

Having recently upgraded to the D7200, I originally shot a lot of stuff in JPG with no difficulty. However, I'm now switching to RAW (NEF) and have encountered an odd problem. Whenever I download pictures into RAW processing software the images have a very pronounced magenta colour cast. I can get rid of this with some work, but it shouldn't be there, so I'm wondering what causes it.

I should say that I don't use Windows, having opted (wisely :playful:) to abandon it about eight years ago in favour of Open Souce software. I currently run Linux Mint 17.3 as the OS, with my workflow handled by DigiKam (image processing and cataloguing, similar to Lightroom) and GIMP (an excellent Open Source alternative to Photoshop). In addition to these main applications, I also have a couple of alternative RAW processing programs, but the colour cast problem appears in all of them.

I have raised this issue with several of the pro's in my camera club, but they are as mystified as I am about what causes this. If anyone has any experience of such a problem, I'd be grateful for any advice on how to fix it.

I guess the first question I would have is the problem with the actual RAW file, or with the software that's reading it?

Do you have access to a Windows PC to test this? Or could you perhaps provide a sample RAW, if so I could load it onto a windows based PC using adobe and compare it to images from my own D600, that should tell us right away if the issue is with the output from the D7200, or how the software your using is reading/interpreting that data.

Michael Durkan

Hello Gewitty,
I recently bought a Nikon D3S and the RAW files come out with a green hue to them. The jpegs are good but I don't want to shoot in jpeg. I would love to know how to fix this irritating problem also. I can easily fix in Lightroom but sometimes I shoot hundreds of photos and its a problem.

Bikerbrent

Welcome aboard. Enjoy the ride.
We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

Did you read through the entire listing? A lot of good suggestions here that might help you with your issue. If you still have the color cast issue, since this is a 2 year old post, you might want to start a new posting with a sample photo with EXIF data.