RAW Colour cast problem

mauckcg

That certainly gets the colour balance right in the JPG, which I can do with the original RAW file after some fiddling. Maybe the colour cast is just a natural effect in the RAW files that I'll have to live with.

Unless there is something specific throwing the WB off. Say multiple colored light sources, than it should be pretty close.

What program did you use to look at the RAW file?

I downloaded the nef file and opened it in Lightroom. What I see is that is looks very overexposed. I had to drop the exposure down to get it correct. Also the small amount of highlights were blown out. All the things will affect the color. I did not see magenta at all though. It was slightly green but it is in the woods so there might have been a small green cast in the woods anyway.

WayneF

I don't see any issue here. Adobe ACR "As shot" (applying camera Auto WB from Exif) says 4150K +8 Tint, and looks like this:

untitled-1.jpg

Auto WB in ACR gave the same 4150K +7.

Then cilcking the WB tool on the white band on stump at bottom gave 4650K + 11 Tint (more yellow, very slightly less green).

untitled-2.jpg

Only the white sky at top is clipping a bit, I left it alone, doesn't hurt anything (it becomes arbitrary). You can recognize this area by holding the ALT key and touching the Exposure slider with the mouse. Move the slider up to see where other things start clipping. Here it takes nearly +2.5 EV to start seeing anything else clipping.

Last edited:

Danno

I opened it in LR and did not see the color cast either. It was only over exposed. Below is the unedited file and a file with minor tweaks to bring the overexposure in line.

DSC_1131.jpg

DSC_1131-2.jpg

karlheinz

Thanks for the fast reply Danno. I've attached a JPG version which is a straight export from the original RAW file, just resized.

View attachment 206020

EXIF Data is embedded.
Hi,
I have got the exactly same problem wirh a d7200 and either gimp or rawtherapee.

However, I do also have a d7000 for some time now and the nef images from that camera look close to the jpg right after opening (same programs). Thats a good starting point to mess around with the raw files. The 7200 after opening is so far out in color and contrast i don't bother.

My only currently working linux workaround is to use a newest ( as in compile the source - not from the package management) dcraw. That has sufficiently good calibration data for the d7200 included. I am using that to convert the raws to 16bit tiff which then work in rawtherapee or gimp. I am eagerly waiting to see the 7200 raws working out of the box in rawtherapee...

Karl-Heinz

Gesendet von meinem SM-P905 mit Tapatalk

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I simply suggest you look at your raw converter just to make certain that it doesn't apply a correction when importing. I don't know about Gimp, but I know that there are some settings that can be saved for specific cameras. If it is consistently giving you the same magenta-red cast, this is where I'd start looking.

Also check your auto-iso settings and use lower iso.

Good luck and keep us informed. Maybe you'll help others as well while learning the cause of your problem.

Gewitty

Looking through the last few posts, it seems that different people are seeing different things when they load the file. To some it looks pretty much spot on, while others find it overexposed. Apart from Karl-Heinz though (who is using the same software as me), no-one sees the colour cast problem. This would suggest that the issue is in the software, rather than the camera or the RAW image itself.

I will explore this more tomorrow and perhaps try and get hold of some alternative programs to try. Whatever I find, I'll certainly come back and update this thread.

My thanks to everyone who has contributed to the discussion. It has moved me forward a bit, for which I'm grateful.

Needa

Challenge Team
This is what I get with no processing with Darktable 2.0.3 running on Fedora 23.

DSC_1131.jpg

Just tried opening it in RawTherapee it gives this result.
DSC_1131-1-3.jpg

Both on Fedora 23

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

The raw file is fine, if a tad over-exposed, which means there almost has to be a problem with the raw file conversion process, meaning the software. The raw file opens just fine for me in Adobe Camera Raw here at home if, again, a little over exposed. Easy-peasy stuff to correct and again, the raw file looks to me as it should, prior to processing.

Further, I can duplicate the magenta cast that shows in shot you posted originally almost perfectly (after first correcting the exposure) by going back and over-exposing the raw file one full-stop and decreasing the Green Channel Mid-tones by 25%. Once I do that, I get this:
ScreenShot 001.jpg

Last edited:

Gewitty

I think I've arrived at a situation I can live with. It's not a total solution to the colour cast issue, but it works for me.

I found a very useful bit of software called Nomacs (nomacs | Image Lounge). This is essentially a file viewer which works for most formats, including RAW, but also has some handy processing/editing features which fix things such as the colour cast problem and exposure issues. Once you get an acceptable processed file, Nomacs can output in a variety of formats, including PNG, JPG, TIFF and various types of bitmap.

If the image from the camera has no real exposure/colour problems, but just needs manipulating in Photoshop or some other editing program, then Nomacs can pull the high-res embedded JPG out of the RAW file, so it can be exported directly for editing in whatever format you choose.

Nomacs is available for both Windows and Linux OS's, and best of all - it's free, thanks to the very helpful developers at Vienna University of Technology.

Horoscope Fish

This is one of, if not The Reason, I gave up on Linux. After two full years of being 100% Microsoft free, I'd had enough; I just got tired of what felt like 80% solutions. Every Linux install I ran felt like a dam that was in constant need of shoring up; plugging holes and plugging the plugs the plugged those holes. Diehard Linux fans will scream about how you do everything running a Linux distro you can do using a Windows install but in my experience you can't do it all as easily, or as well or with the same smooth, overall user experience and that last part is what finally did me in. So long Debian, and thanks for all the fish...

All that being said, I'm glad you found a solution that sounds like it will work for you. My solution for you would be a Windows install and an Adobe CC subscription but I understand the love for Linux.

Horoscope Fish

Oh dear! I feel an entirely new thread coming on. But there are so many Linux vs Windows debates already, I think we'd best leave it alone :)
Indeed! And as I said, I really DO appreciate the Linux Love... Just my personal decision to quit fighting with it.

I'll go so far as to admit getting the occasional itch to download the latest Debian or Fedora release just to see where they're at these days.

Blacktop

This is one of, if not The Reason, I gave up on Linux. After two full years of being 100% Microsoft free, I'd had enough; I just got tired of what felt like 80% solutions. Every Linux install I ran felt like a dam that was in constant need of shoring up; plugging holes and plugging the plugs the plugged those holes. Diehard Linux fans will scream about how you do everything running a Linux distro you can do using a Windows install but in my experience you can't do it all as easily, or as well or with the same smooth, overall user experience and that last part is what finally did me in. So long Debian, and thanks for all the fish...

All that being said, I'm glad you found a solution that sounds like it will work for you. My solution for you would be a Windows install and an Adobe CC subscription but I understand the love for Linux.

Exactly! I was Windows free for a long time and an avid Windows hater. Linux was great fun and I still have a small partition installed with Mint on it just in case. LOL. I hardly ever boot it anymore though.
I'm sure that if it wasn't for photography I would be on it more. Ever since Windows 7 I really had no problems with it and I see no reason to go back to Linux full time at this point.

WayneF

Looking through the last few posts, it seems that different people are seeing different things when they load the file. To some it looks pretty much spot on, while others find it overexposed. Apart from Karl-Heinz though (who is using the same software as me), no-one sees the colour cast problem. This would suggest that the issue is in the software, rather than the camera or the RAW image itself.

I will explore this more tomorrow and perhaps try and get hold of some alternative programs to try. Whatever I find, I'll certainly come back and update this thread.

Some of the raw software you are using must have some default values that are not useful. They should be reset-able.

I just know about Adobe, but it puts the raw setting in a sidecar .XMP file. That .XMP file contains the Adobe Raw settings that have been selected for the image.

Here is just a random .XMP example, with only WB set, and the rest is my default values.

---- ExifTool ---- <<-----<<<< my file viewer
ExifTool Version Number : 10.10
---- File ----
File Name : 801_2097.xmp
Directory : .
File Size : 7.0 kB
File Modification Date/Time : 2016:04:06 19:24:04-05:00
File Access Date/Time : 2016:04:06 19:24:04-05:00
File Creation Date/Time : 2016:04:06 19:24:04-05:00
File Permissions : rw-rw-rw-
File Type : XMP
File Type Extension : xmp
MIME Type : application/rdf+xml
---- XMP ----
XMP Toolkit : Adobe XMP Core 5.6-c011 79.156380, 2014/05/21-23:38:37
Make : NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model Name : NIKON D800
Orientation : Horizontal (normal)
Exif Version : 0221
Exposure Time : 1/160
Shutter Speed Value : 1/160
F Number : 5.6
Aperture Value : 5.6
Exposure Program : Manual
Sensitivity Type : 2
Exposure Compensation : 0
Max Aperture Value : 4.0
Metering Mode : Center-weighted average
Light Source : Unknown
Focal Length : 38.0 mm
Sensing Method : One-chip color area
File Source : Digital Camera
Scene Type : Directly photographed
Focal Length In 35mm Format : 38 mm
Custom Rendered : Normal
Exposure Mode : Manual
White Balance : Auto <<-----<<< This was a camera setting
Scene Capture Type : Standard
Gain Control : None
Contrast : Normal
Saturation : Normal
Sharpness : Normal
Subject Distance Range : Unknown
Digital Zoom Ratio : 1
Focal Plane X Resolution : 2048.40222167969
Focal Plane Y Resolution : 2048.40222167969
Focal Plane Resolution Unit : cm
Date/Time Original : 2016:04:06 18:20:39.10
Creator Tool : Ver.1.10
Modify Date : 2016:04:06 18:20:39.10
Create Date : 2016:04:06 18:20:39.10
Rating : 0
Metadata Date : 2016:04:06 19:24:04-05:00
Serial Number : 3046677
Lens Info : 24-120mm f/4
Lens : 24.0-120.0 mm f/4.0
Lens ID : 170
Image Number : 13412
Approximate Focus Distance : 1.68
Date Created : 2016:04:06 18:20:39.10

Not real sure about the dividing line, but above here is the camera Exif, and below here is the Adobe Raw settings.

Sidecar For Extension : NEF
Embedded XMP Digest : 2AD1AC5BA3E424E6C7C1B8C3F9C2974A
Document ID : C1D0C1EF2AF466CB304D0224A63F8492
Original Document ID : C1D0C1EF2AF466CB304D0224A63F8492
Instance ID : xmp.iid:a7898db6-d074-f748-a310-c7ae643d759a
Format : image/x-nikon-nef
Raw File Name : 801_2097.NEF
Version : 9.1.1
Process Version : 6.7
White Balance : Custom
Auto White Version : 134348800
Color Temperature : 5250 <<----<<<< These are the Adobe raw settings. WB is all that I changed
Tint : +13
Saturation : 0
Sharpness : 25
Luminance Smoothing : 0
Color Noise Reduction : 25
Vignette Amount : 0
Shadow Tint : 0
Red Hue : 0
Red Saturation : 0
Green Hue : 0
Green Saturation : 0
Blue Hue : 0
Blue Saturation : 0
Vibrance : 0
Hue Adjustment Red : 0
Hue Adjustment Orange : 0
Hue Adjustment Yellow : 0
Hue Adjustment Green : 0
Hue Adjustment Aqua : 0
Hue Adjustment Blue : 0
Hue Adjustment Purple : 0
Hue Adjustment Magenta : 0
Saturation Adjustment Red : 0
Saturation Adjustment Orange : 0
Saturation Adjustment Yellow : 0
Saturation Adjustment Green : 0
Saturation Adjustment Aqua : 0
Saturation Adjustment Blue : 0
Saturation Adjustment Purple : 0
Saturation Adjustment Magenta : 0
Luminance Adjustment Red : 0
Luminance Adjustment Orange : 0
Luminance Adjustment Yellow : 0
Luminance Adjustment Green : 0
Luminance Adjustment Aqua : 0
Luminance Adjustment Blue : 0
Luminance Adjustment Purple : 0
Luminance Adjustment Magenta : 0
Split Toning Shadow Hue : 0
Split Toning Shadow Saturation : 0
Split Toning Highlight Hue : 0
Split Toning Highlight Saturation: 0
Split Toning Balance : 0
Parametric Shadows : 0
Parametric Darks : 0
Parametric Lights : 0
Parametric Highlights : 0
Parametric Shadow Split : 25
Parametric Midtone Split : 50
Parametric Highlight Split : 75
Sharpen Radius : +1.0
Sharpen Detail : 25
Sharpen Edge Masking : 0
Post Crop Vignette Amount : 0
Grain Amount : 0
Color Noise Reduction Detail : 50
Color Noise Reduction Smoothness: 50
Lens Profile Enable : 0
Lens Manual Distortion Amount : 0
Perspective Vertical : 0
Perspective Horizontal : 0
Perspective Rotate : 0.0
Perspective Scale : 100
Perspective Aspect : 0
Perspective Upright : 0
Auto Lateral CA : 0
Exposure 2012 : 0.00
Contrast 2012 : 0
Highlights 2012 : 0
Shadows 2012 : 0
Whites 2012 : 0
Blacks 2012 : 0
Clarity 2012 : 0
Defringe Purple Amount : 0
Defringe Purple Hue Lo : 30
Defringe Purple Hue Hi : 70
Defringe Green Amount : 0
Defringe Green Hue Lo : 40
Defringe Green Hue Hi : 60
Dehaze : 0
Tone Map Strength : 0
Convert To Grayscale : False
Tone Curve Name : Medium Contrast
Tone Curve Name 2012 : Linear
Camera Profile : Adobe Standard
Camera Profile Digest : CA4F221DEBD3C272C94F7C3624CF9A18
Lens Profile Setup : LensDefaults
Has Settings : True
Has Crop : False
Already Applied : False
ISO : 200
Flash Fired : True
Flash Return : Return detected
Flash Mode : On
Flash Function : False
Flash Red Eye Mode : False
History Action : saved
History Instance ID : xmp.iid:a7898db6-d074-f748-a310-c7ae643d759a
History When : 2016:04:06 19:24:04-05:00
History Software Agent : Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw 9.1.1 (Windows)
History Changed : /metadata
Tone Curve : 0, 0*32, 22*64, 56*128, 128*192, 196*255, 255
Tone Curve Red : 0, 0*255, 255
Tone Curve Green : 0, 0*255, 255
Tone Curve Blue : 0, 0*255, 255
Tone Curve PV2012 : 0, 0*255, 255
Tone Curve PV2012 Red : 0, 0*255, 255
Tone Curve PV2012 Green : 0, 0*255, 255
Tone Curve PV2012 Blue : 0, 0*255, 255
---- Composite ----
Aperture : 5.6
Flash : On, Return detected
Shutter Speed : 1/160
Lens ID : AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR
Light Value : 11.3
Scale Factor To 35 mm Equivalent: 1.0
Circle Of Confusion : 0.030 mm
Field Of View : 50.7 deg
Focal Length : 38.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 38.0 mm)
Hyperfocal Distance : 8.58 m

Last edited:

Gewitty

I'm still digging around to get to the bottom of this, but it looks increasingly as if the issue lies with the Nikon NEF file format used by the D7200.

Just as an experiment, I tried to convert a couple of D7200 files to the DNG format but the process failed with a message saying 'unrecognised file format'. I then tried to convert NEF files from a Nikon D3200 and much to my surprise, it worked!

So then I got a few D3200 NEF files and loaded them into RawTherapee, Darktable and Digikam. No problem. No colour cast.

That looks pretty conclusive to me. It doesn't solve the problem though. I'm certainly not an expert on this topic, but it seems that something in the colour profile used by the D7200 is different from that used on the D3200 (and other Nikons).

Now all I have to do is figure out where to go from here.

WayneF

Then get updated versions of the software you use, and try that.

I know no details about the D7200, but Nikon does change the format of their Exif Manufacturers section now and them. That is where WB info is, and such change tends to obsolete Exif Viewers and maybe raw software that read Exif, until new versions become available.

The point is, other raw software (Adobe) has no issue with the D7200. It would seem the problem is your software is not supporting it.

Of course, Exif should make no difference if you simply set WB in your software. That is the idea anyway, to set it right.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

I'm still digging around to get to the bottom of this, but it looks increasingly as if the issue lies with the Nikon NEF file format used by the D7200.

Just as an experiment, I tried to convert a couple of D7200 files to the DNG format but the process failed with a message saying 'unrecognised file format'. I then tried to convert NEF files from a Nikon D3200 and much to my surprise, it worked!

So then I got a few D3200 NEF files and loaded them into RawTherapee, Darktable and Digikam. No problem. No colour cast.

That looks pretty conclusive to me. It doesn't solve the problem though. I'm certainly not an expert on this topic, but it seems that something in the colour profile used by the D7200 is different from that used on the D3200 (and other Nikons).

Now all I have to do is figure out where to go from here.
Sounds to me like the raw conversion software you're using simply hasn't caught up yet. It will probably self-correct, in time, but of course there's no way of knowing how long it will take for that to happen.

lseven

I haven't read all the details of solutions here. I had a very similar problem when I got my 7200. I imported the files with the same nikon software as I used for my d7000. Apparently there were changes and it did not support something about the 7200. I upgraded to the NXi and the problem disappearred. Not sure what the differences were but the software fixed it.

ssepan

The magenta color cast (sometimes accompanied by *un-removed vignetting and distortion) is something I've seen on a few cameras from several brands (e.g. Canon G1X2*, Nikon D7200) when opened in certain apps (e.g Picasa 3) which are not familiar with the specific RAW implementation. In those cases, the RAW file has worked well with the software bundled with that model of camera.
However, if
- you have an older version of the software that came with an earlier model, or
- you're on a platform that doesn't support the bundled software, or
- you're trying to open the RAW file in the editor of your choice,
you may encounter this. Anytime I see magenta I assume that software is not familiar with the camera's RAW file before I worry about the integrity of the RAW file.