Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Yes, I could use the protection

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
My camera is weather sealed so the answer is no. Plus I would be concerned that it could warm the glue that holds the grip enough to loosen it. Finally, since I tend to shoot travel related photography I want my gear not to stand out from a security perspective.

Browncoat

Can't say that I would use one of these, even if they were dirt cheap.

1) The added thickness would make larger cameras like mine even larger to hold. Maybe a plus for some on the smaller models, but this is the biggest turn-off for me.

2) I don't like that some of the controls are covered up. I tend to make adjustments by feel without lowering my camera, and this would be a pain in the ass with one of these covers.

3) My camera always has a grip attached. No bueno.

DraganDL

It doesn't look silly - it's more like fashionable. I would use it if it can easily be removed/mounted, so that those sand grains and particles of dirt can be occasionally wiped off.

Dave_W

The Dude
Having just experienced my first -25 degree winter, I was planning on getting something like this for my cameras and lenses. Not so much for their protection but rather protection of my hands from the cold metal. I was thinking something more on the foamy bodyglove type cover rather than the hard plastic, though.

Bill16

I use battery grips on my Nikon's, but it might be interesting to try one on my D3100 if I had the money to blow. But for my main use cameras, no I like the battery grips too much. Lol :D

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I've been using the Delkin Snug-It Pro on my D610. Initially I wasn't too thrilled with it as it wasn't quite what I expected, but now that I've been using it for several months, I love it. Occasionally the top does come loose from where the flash unit connects, but it is easy to slide back in place. Other than that, it's fine. When I connect a tripod plate, the rubber does make contact with the plate. I am careful when tightening the plate so I haven't experienced any issues. I didn't care for the LCD cover that came with the Delkin so I simply kept the original Nikon cover in place. The rubber gaps around its edges slightly as it wasn't molded to include Nikon's cover, but I haven't had any problems with it.

If Delkin still had these available for the D90, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...evices_ddsdprond600_snug_it_pro_skin_for.html

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
One more thing...if I'm not mistaken, the Easy Cover is made by the same parent company as the Delkin Snug-It Pro. I think the Easy Cover was sold under that name in the UK but sold as the Delkin Snug-It Pro here in the US. I contacted the company before purchasing mine, and that's what they said.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
@DraganDL the only thing preventing you from easily removing it is the strap. Otherwise it slips off pretty easily.

@Bill16 If you wanted to use one with a grip, you'd have to trim the bottom a little. Here's what it looks like on mine:
20140529_180517.jpg

@Browncoat Here's a close up of the buttons. Being able to feel them isn't an issue.
20140529_180541.jpg

and showing the thickness. It's about 1/16" in most places, so you'd be adding 1/8" to the total width & depth
20140529_180627.jpg

@hark you are correct. Delkin orders them directly from the factory in China and rebranded them. The original is Snug-It, which I have on my camera, is exactly the same minus the different colors you can get.

Bill16

@jdeg Thanks buddy, my wife found one for my D90, so it looks like I'll be able to try it after all! Lol :)
When it arrives I'll try your trimming suggestion for my battery grip! :)

Bill16

OK it arrived and I trimmed and installed it! But my first thought about it is it feels slick,the buttons are harder to press, and it's hard to see what button is what if your not able to shoot by feel alone. It does look good, and I'm sure it will offer quite a bit of protection against bumps and scrapes! It doesn't fit as tight on my D90 as I would have hoped, so grit could get in and I doubt it would help much for moisture at all. But on the other hand it would be easy to take off to clean out any grit. It is a bit harder to install lenses on my D90 with the case on, but that may not be an issue if care is used to make sure the lens is installed correctly.
I would think ruffing up the surface would solve the slick feeling, but the case does make the camera feel bigger and that could be either good or bad depending on your hand size. In my case it's bad, though the slick feel might be making it worse than it actually is.

I will try the case for a while before I decide rather to take it back off or to leave it on! I'm not sure I like it much, but I'm trying to reserve judgment to give it a fair chance despite my issues with it!

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
OK it arrived and I trimmed and installed it! But my first thought about it is it feels slick,the buttons are harder to press, and it's hard to see what button is what if your not able to shoot by feel alone.

Initially I was rather surprised to read your findings...UNTIL I bought one of these for my D90. My first impression was that it was slick which really surprised me since I don't feel that way about the one on my D610. So I put them side-by-side for comparison and found the D610 case has more texture on its sides where people normally hold the camera while shooting. This D90 case has more of the smoother silicone on its sides.

Another difference I found is that the Multi Selector/Focus Lock/OK Button are all covered up with this D90 case, but there is a hole around them allowing me to directly touch them on my D610. The On/Off switch is also easier to access on my D610 than my D90 because of a larger cutaway. Perhaps Delkin makes subtle improvements as it creates new cases.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
OK it arrived and I trimmed and installed it! But my first thought about it is it feels slick,the buttons are harder to press, and it's hard to see what button is what if your not able to shoot by feel alone.

I've found that after some use it gets a bit more grippy, btw