Post your Z50 images

PhilM_TX

Here are a few from the back yard. "Day 1" testing.

49050024572_c96cf92fe9_h.jpg

49049817976_34faec111a_h.jpg

49049729926_4fb2f4ebf4_h.jpg

49049227113_bcd155be07_h.jpg

PhilM_TX

This one was in my back yard. I was listening to so Northern Cardinal chatter & waiting for one to pop out & look up as this guy flew over. I literally pulled up, focused, & shot - in about 2 seconds.

The diminutive Z50 got the shot. BTW - The Z50 with 500PF attached is ridiculously light & maneuverable.

49049225053_4395f9aee8_h.jpg

mikew_RIP

This one was in my back yard. I was listening to so Northern Cardinal chatter & waiting for one to pop out & look up as this guy flew over. I literally pulled up, focused, & shot - in about 2 seconds.

The diminutive Z50 got the shot. BTW - The Z50 with 500PF attached is ridiculously light & maneuverable.

49049225053_4395f9aee8_h.jpg

Lovely images, great start with the camera.

PhilM_TX

Lovely images, great start with the camera.

Thank you Mike, and the same right back to ya. :)

I assume you figured out a couple of the things you mentioned earlier...???...

1) Sleep time out too fast. In c3 Power off delay, I set the "Standby Timer" to 5 minutes. I learned this with my Z6.
2) I forget your wording, but it had to do with going between LiveView display & the EVF as I recall. You can use the flush button at the top left (on the back, left of the EVF) to select your preference. The button provides 3 options: 1 - "Monitor Only" (LiveView), 2 - "Auto Switch" will use LiveView unless it senses your eye at the EVF, 3 - EFV only.

"For me", EVF only is best 90% of the time.

I also learned from my Z7 (sold) and Z6 that setting "Airplane Mode" to ON, will significantly improve batter life.

Last edited:

PhilM_TX

Quick, funny story.

When I picked up the Z50, my local camera store did not yet have any spare EN-EL25 batteries for the Z50. As such, I was relegated to one battery.

This past weekend, I checked and the had some in stock. Wifey & I went to the camera store and the local Nikon Rep was there. I took that opportunity to chat with him for about 20 minutes, sharing some of my observations, a few shots from the trip, and "ideas" (continued AF performance improvements, ability to assign AF-On + AF Area mode to additional buttons, etc.) so he could share it with the mothership (just to make sure they continue to hear it).

When I was done chatting & was about ready to check out with my two additional EN-EL25 batteries, Wifey strolls up with another Z50 (body only, as they offered to pull the kit lens) for herself! What can a guy say to that?

Now she has a Z50 too. :)

mikew_RIP

Thank you Mike, and the same right back to ya. :)

I assume you figured out a couple of the things you mentioned earlier...???...

1) Sleep time out too fast. In c3 Power off delay, I st the "Standby Timer" to 5 minutes. I learned this with my Z6.
2) I forget your wording, but it had to do with going between LiveView display & the EVF as I recall. You can use the flush button at the top left (on the back, left of the EVF) to select your preference. The button provides 3 options: 1 - "Monitor Only" (LiveView), 2 - "Auto Switch" will use LiveView unless it senses your eye at the EVF, 3 - EFV only.

"For me", EVF only is best 90% of the time.

I also learned from my Z7 (sold) and Z6 that setting "Airplane Mode" to ON, will significantly improve batter life.

Thanks i will look into these,its a bit late for my brain at the moment.

mikew_RIP

Quick, funny story.

When I picked up the Z50, my local camera store did not yet have any spare EN-EL25 batteries for the Z50. As such, I was relegated to one battery.

This past weekend, I checked and the had some in stock. Wifey & I went to the camera store and the local Nikon Rep was there. I took that opportunity to chat with him for about 20 minutes, sharing some of my observations, a few shots from the trip, and "ideas" (continued AF performance improvements, ability to assign AF-On + AF Area mode to additional buttons, etc.) so he could share it with the mothership (just to make sure they continue to hear it).

When I was done chatting & was about ready to check out with my two additional EN-EL25 batteries, Wifey strolls up with another Z50 (body only, as they offered to pull the kit lens) for herself! What can a guy say to that?

Now she has a Z50 too. :)

Without any doubt you show the advantage of good lenses in those images, at the moment ime loving mine and thinking of parting with the rest of my m4/3 gear.

PhilM_TX

The number of people who have said its no good because it doesnt have IBIS, nice one.

Thank you, Mike. I've read all sorts of "bad stuff" about it too, but "for me" it seems to work quite well. :)

Edit: FWIW, all the shots I've posted (except the few with the 600F4 in my backyard), have been handheld. DSLR's have done well w/o IBIS.

Last edited:

Danno

Z50, 500PF, 1.4x TC - 700mm, handheld.

49124063352_5ad6614c5d_h.jpg

Great series. I liked all of these shots. That 500 f5.6 on the Z50 is pretty much amazing. So sharp. Quite impressive. Some of the talking heads that say the Z cameras cannot shoot wildlife should follow you and Mike around for a day or two.

PhilM_TX

When were you at Wako? You should have let me know you were coming to my neck of the woods.

Hi Marilynne,

We made a real quick pass-thru the week of Veterans Day. We flew into Ft Lauderdale very late Monday night & stayed in Boynton Beach that night. We were up early and at Wako, then breakfast @ Flakowitz, then Green Cay (I thought it was gonna be closed), and we were off to Vero Beach by noon. I had considered touching base, but we weren't there long this time.

I did shoot near a gal at Sebastian Inlet that was dawning a good bit of Nikon gear that same afternoon. We talked about Mark Smith & Steve Perry, among other things. I wondered if it may been you as I thought back through the day.

By Wednesday evening, we were in Cape Coral for the remainder of our visit. We like to see the various BE Nests & Burrowing Owls in the area, as well as visiting the Everglades.

We finished the adventure with a stop by Butterfly World (our 1st visit) Sunday afternoon. What a wonderful place!

Wifey & I have been visiting at least once a year for a good while. I will make it a point to touch base next trip. :)

Last edited:

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Marilynne,

We made a real quick pass-thru the week of Veterans Day. We flew into Ft Lauderdale very late Monday night & stayed in Boynton Beach that night. We were up early and at Wako, then breakfast @ Flakowitz, then Green Cay (I thought it was gonna be closed), and we were off to Vero Beach by noon. I had considered touching base, but we weren't there long this time.

I did shoot near a gal at Sebastian Inlet that was dawning a good bit of Nikon gear that same afternoon. We talked about Mark Smith & Steve Perry, among other things. I wondered if it may been you as I thought back through the day.

By Wednesday evening, we were in Cape Coral for the remainder of our visit. We like to see the various BE Nests & Burrowing Owls in the area, as well as visiting the Everglades.

We finished the adventure with a stop by Butterfly World (our 1st visit) Sunday afternoon. What a wonderful place!

Wifey & I have been visiting at least once a year for a good while. I will make it a point to touch base next trip. :)

Must have passed you at Wako, I was there at 7 - 8:30am. I noticed your shot was 6:30.

Glad Green Cay was open. It closed 11/18.