Post your Train shots!

Sandpatch

Boy, is the care of the locomotive and railroad tracks in poor maintenance. Unfortunately this appears the normal current situation compared to many years ago.

While the tracks in the foreground look bad, they're isolated from any connection and no longer used. There's some kind of museum there, but it's by appointment only. :( You are so right about shabby looking locomotives these days. Once a source of pride, few of them receive any sort of wash. The only clean ones are those fresh out of the shop after delivery.

Sandpatch

From early this afternoon at Little Mountain SC, a lone unit just crusin' south. I'd set up with great anticipation and, well .....
[IMG]
. There's a nice picture to be made here, with a long straight in dappled morning light, but it'll have to wait for another day. [D5100]

2023-01-11 Little Mountain SC - for Nikonites upload.jpg

Sandpatch

Thanks @Bikerbrent and @crashton . About five years ago I found an old searchlight signal still in service on CSX as an "Approach" signal with its APP marker. I like the evening light and how well the amber signal aspect shows in it.

Getting geeky, a signal equipped with an “APP” marker on CSX governs the approach to the next signal, often at junctions. These are also known as "Distant" signals. With a yellow aspect, the engineman will slow the train to Medium speed (about 30 MPH) and be governed by the aspect of the next signal which guards a junction with another line. With a yellow aspect showing here, the train will be slowed and prepared to stop if the signal ahead guarding the junction is red. Norfolk Southern uses approach signals too, but instead of an APP marker, a time-honored "fishtail" shaped metal plate is attached to the signal mast in my area. These are a remnant symbol of old semaphore signals and an example appears in the second picture. [Both pictures taken with my D5100]

2017-11-26 001 Clinton SC CN&L Signal - for upload.jpg

2019-06-23 NS Distant Signal - for upload.jpg

Sandpatch

This is a Dwarf Signal, at ground level so that switchmen and crews working in close quarters can see signal aspects more easily. Numeric plates on signals often reference their milepost location. This shot from about 1974 is near MP 24 on the Elgin, Joliet & Eastern RR. [Nikkormat FTn]

1974-ish Barrington IL EJ&E Dwarf Signal - for upload.jpg

Sandpatch

Milwaukee Road train order signal at Elgin, IL, 07/25/1975. These were used to notify train crews of written orders affecting their trains. These have disappeared from the railroad scene today in favor of radio technology. Even pole lines as seen have become a memory. [Nikkormat FTn, Plus-X film]

1975-07-25 005 Elgin IL - for upload.jpg

Needa

Challenge Team
Milwaukee Road train order signal at Elgin, IL, 07/25/1975. These were used to notify train crews of written orders affecting their trains. These have disappeared from the railroad scene today in favor of radio technology. Even pole lines as seen have become a memory. [Nikkormat FTn, Plus-X film]

View attachment 388194
There was a time when collecting those insulators was a thing. My dad had a purple one.