Post your Train shots!

Fred Kingston_RIP

Here's the image above that was cleaned up a bit and scaled up large enough to print large...as an example...

1988-04-12 001 Bluefield WV - for upload-topaz-enhance-sharpen.jpeg

Sandpatch

There are methods and software now... to take an older low-resolution image (film scan) and using AI, it increases the resolution, reduces the noise, and sharpens the image...

I notice that you sometimes post older low-res film images from years ago... and wonder if you intend to re-visit those images in your catalogue and edit them at some point for the future...

I have probably since re-scanned those old images, but I'd first need to find them on this thread. Maybe someday I'll try to work that through.

Sandpatch

Ashland Railway at Willard OH. First picture posed to the new forum....

That's really cool and I like the use of black and white there. I'd not heard of this railroad before, so looked it up. 56 miles and an interesting route map of various heritages.

Last edited:

Sandpatch

Overcast day at the B&O's summit of the Allegheny Mountains, Sand Patch, PA, 11/28/1981. It was Thanksgiving weekend and I couldn't make the long trip home, so joined some friends for an overnight jaunt to Cumberland, MD and environs. The Holiday Inn there was well known for its grand trackside view of the B&O mainline, so was THE place to stay. :giggle:

1981-11-28 012 Sand Patch PA - for upload.jpg

Fred Kingston_RIP

Overcast day at the B&O's summit of the Allegheny Mountains, Sand Patch, PA, 11/28/1981. It was Thanksgiving weekend and I couldn't make the long trip home, so joined some friends for an overnight jaunt to Cumberland, MD and environs. The Holiday Inn there was well known for its grand trackside view of the B&O mainline, so was THE place to stay. :giggle:

View attachment 385346
I think the coolest thing about your train images, @Sandpatch is the little back story for each of your train posts...

Sandpatch

I think the coolest thing about your train images, @Sandpatch is the little back story for each of your train posts...

Thank you and @crashton as well. Setting the time, place and details of a rail photograph is important to me, otherwise it's just a picture without any sort of footing. I sometimes see rail photos out there on the web that capture interesting things, but lack any sort of supporting detail. I'm left to wonder just where were these taken and when? As an amateur rail historian, it makes me crazy.

Sandpatch

From 08/09/1992, CSX Train 464 works north on the former Seaboard mainline at Cassatt, SC with three rebuilt GP-16 locomotives running "elephant style", all in different paint. I was happy to get this shot, as the summer haze served to obscure the sun which would normally have been smack dab in my lens. Note too the pole line, once a standard feature found on lines everywhere, since replaced by satellite and radio communications. [Nikon 2020, Kodachrome 64]

1992-08-09 Cassatt SC - for upload.jpg

Sandpatch

Caught NS 242 led by Union Pacific locomotives at Branchville SC yesterday. This was one of those shots where you hear a horn and have 30 seconds to check where the sun is, run to a location that's safe with some sort of composition and trip the shutter button. It's backlit, but it was the best I could do in the afternoon sun.

This segment of line is one of the earliest and oldest in the U.S., dating from 1828 when it was completed by the South Carolina Canal and Rail Road Co.. The depot still remains at left.

2023-01-07 Branchville SC - for Upload.jpg

Bikerbrent

Caught NS 242 led by Union Pacific locomotives at Branchville SC yesterday. This was one of those shots where you hear a horn and have 30 seconds to check where the sun is, run to a location that's safe with some sort of composition and trip the shutter button. It's backlit, but it was the best I could do in the afternoon sun.

This segment of line is one of the earliest and oldest in the U.S., dating from 1828 when it was completed by the South Carolina Canal and Rail Road Co.. The depot still remains at left.

View attachment 386838
Boy, is the care of the locomotive and railroad tracks in poor maintenance. Unfortunately this appears the normal current situation compared to many years ago.

crashton

View attachment 386838

Great shot of that high HP big guy leaning into that curve. Very nice catch Sandpatch. (y)