Post your Oil Paint filter shots here

RockyNH_RIP

This is from this morning.... went into the garage and saw this guy flying across the way, circling a pond.. I thought it was an eagle but too far away so I ran in, put the tamron on my camera and went back outside and shot a couple quick shots before he left...

D71_7964-Edit.jpg

Pat in GA

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Marcel, what happened to your filter?

Pat
Well Pat, I don't know exactly. All I know is that it was working fine around Dec. 10th and then there were a few updates (Adobe and Apple OS) and then when I wanted to use it the "oil paint" option was greyed out and the PS preference wasn't allowing me to check the "use Open CL" box. I searched quite a bit and then tried to uncheck some other boxes in the preference menu until the option came back. Seems OK now. But I do know that my MacBook Air's graphic card does NOT allow me to use Open CL. Apparently Apple has decided to to with "Metal" which is supposed to replace both Open GL and CL but I think Apple and Adobe are not talking much to each other these days since there always seems to be some kind of problem arising from either one's updates.

At one point I had decided that I shouldn't use the filter too often anyway since it clouded my judgment about some shots that were either good or better without the filter and some shots that weren't with or without... So it all comes back to light and composition either way. The filter is sometimes just a smoke screen that can be used to hide some blur or other unwanted things in a shot. :)

RockyNH_RIP

Well Pat, I don't know exactly. All I know is that it was working fine around Dec. 10th and then there were a few updates (Adobe and Apple OS) and then when I wanted to use it the "oil paint" option was greyed out and the PS preference wasn't allowing me to check the "use Open CL" box. I searched quite a bit and then tried to uncheck some other boxes in the preference menu until the option came back. Seems OK now. But I do know that my MacBook Air's graphic card does NOT allow me to use Open CL. Apparently Apple has decided to to with "Metal" which is supposed to replace both Open GL and CL but I think Apple and Adobe are not talking much to each other these days since there always seems to be some kind of problem arising from either one's updates.

At one point I had decided that I shouldn't use the filter too often anyway since it clouded my judgment about some shots that were either good or better without the filter and some shots that weren't with or without... So it all comes back to light and composition either way. The filter is sometimes just a smoke screen that can be used to hide some blur or other unwanted things in a shot. :)

Well, glad that you got it back!! I do agree with your assessment... I used it as a smokescreen on the eagle shot as it was just a tad too much of a crop... :)

It was/is fun to play with but I will not be using it often, just nice that it is there... and I do want to fine tune "my process" for using it.

Pat in GA

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Pat, here's how I fine tune it.

Original jpeg
3cordes.jpg

Mostly important is that you apply the filter to a layer copy.
This is the filter applied and saved as is:
3cordes copy filter 100%.jpg

Now I'll show you the layer with the mask I used to modify the filter.
Here's the layer info:
layer info- copie.jpg

And the result I got from the above settings. I also could have reduced the opacity of the filter to have less of an effect.
3cordescopy final for test.jpg

Using this method you can do a lot and if you go too far, you can always delete the filtered layer and start over at any point.

Hope this helps a bit.

Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones.

Marcel

Smoke

Never tried the oil painting filter look before, im assuming its supposed to look somewhat "grainy"? not sure if that is the correct word. What about this?
Hummel WaterColor.jpg

Stoshowicz

Strange that it 'repaired' the rope. I thought it was just an overlay. Does one 'scale' the texture , or does it scale based on file size? and can one affect the orientation of any of the texture? I see it does orient a bit according to edges as in Pauls sun.

Last edited:

RockyNH_RIP

Pat, here's how I fine tune it.

Original jpeg
View attachment 191132

Mostly important is that you apply the filter to a layer copy.
This is the filter applied and saved as is:
View attachment 191133

Now I'll show you the layer with the mask I used to modify the filter.
Here's the layer info:
View attachment 191134

And the result I got from the above settings. I also could have reduced the opacity of the filter to have less of an effect.
View attachment 191135

Using this method you can do a lot and if you go too far, you can always delete the filtered layer and start over at any point.

Hope this helps a bit.

Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones.

Marcel

Marcel, great tips, Thank You! Happy Holidays to you and your family as well!

Pat in GA

Pretzel

Installed the PS update last night, went to sample the oil paint filter, and apparently my iMac doesn't like it. Converted a layer to 8 bit to get it to work, and... still grayed out. :(

Oh well. Maybe after the holidays, I'll have time to pester tech support.