Post your latest purchases.

Danno

I just replaced my old Bogen #3265 pistol grip tripod head with another old Bogen #3265 pistol grip tripod head. I prefer the ease that I can remove my camera, and I don't have to turn a bunch of knobs. My old one is stuck on the center column of my broken Bogen #3001 tripod.
The EvilBay seller accepted my offer, so now I need to make a tripod purchase decision.
Congrats on the new pistol grip. I really like Leofoto's Tripods. They are light and durable; you can get legs without a center column. They can be a bit pricey but you get quite a bit for the money.

Dawg Pics

Congrats on the new pistol grip. I really like Leofoto's Tripods. They are light and durable; you can get legs without a center column. They can be a bit pricey but you get quite a bit for the money.
Thanks for the recommendation. I need a sturdy tripod for long exposures. I think I am going to have to fork out a couple hundred.

Last edited:

Danno

Well, I went a bit crazy... Most of the photos I take are at church. I have been a bit pressed for energy. I have been using my 24-70 f2.8, but I usually shoot at about 50mm. That being said I spent to much money and bought a 50mm f1.2 Z Mount lens.

Well I love it. This is a buddy of mine as an example... Don and I have been friends since 2nd grade for me and 3rd grade for him.

Don Mitchel-8044.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor

Clovishound

This arrived on the porch today. I thought, "Why in the world did the Pup order a 24-105 lens?". I brought the box in and handed it to her. She asked why I opened the box. I said, "It was sitting on the porch just like this.". She replied, "Happy Father's Day.", and handed it back. I then wondered why she would have gotten me a 24-105, as I already have a 24-70.

Looked more carefully at the box and discovered it's a coffee cup, masquerading as a lens. DUH!

81pZEJaRxsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

BF Hammer

This arrived on the porch today. I thought, "Why in the world did the Pup order a 24-105 lens?". I brought the box in and handed it to her. She asked why I opened the box. I said, "It was sitting on the porch just like this.". She replied, "Happy Father's Day.", and handed it back. I then wondered why she would have gotten me a 24-105, as I already have a 24-70.

Looked more carefully at the box and discovered it's a coffee cup, masquerading as a lens. DUH!

81pZEJaRxsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Happy early father's day, but were you not also thrown off by the "lens" also being in the style of Canon? LOL

Clovishound

I've considered a focusing rail. Not sure I'd use it enough to justify the cost, and the hassle of carrying a tripod around. Still, it looks like it would make tripod mounted macro so much easier.

Unfortunately, I've already spent my Father's Day currency on helping to get the Z7ii, and my discretionary spending money has likewise gone down that same rabbit hole.

blackstar

My latest acquired gears: Z8 (Feb), Z600mm pf (May), Hejnar foot replacement (June 3), and Magpul MS4 Gen2 rifle sling. My questions:
1., I figured to set the sling (shoulder strap) with two QD attachments, instead of a single attachment, to the new foot (see pic). Thought two attachments made more safety assurance. Is it overkill or any flaw in the setup?
2., The way of attaching the sling to the foot is from the collar orientation at the bottom (foot position at the bottom), so the camera turns upside down. I can also adjust the foot position (collar orientation) to the top and let the camera stay up. There are cons on both setups. For the first setup (camera upside down), lifting the system with the right hand would require a turning down upside the gear for the left hand to take over. But then the left hand will hold/support the foot (my preference). The second setup makes it easy to lift the system to the upside, but the strap and connector will hang over the camera and lens which would interfere with shooting. And your left hand will hold/support the bare bottom of the lens. Which way would you choose to set up? Am I missing anything?
KFW_8367s.JPG

Patrick M

My latest acquired gears: Z8 (Feb), Z600mm pf (May), Hejnar foot replacement (June 3), and Magpul MS4 Gen2 rifle sling. My questions:
1., I figured to set the sling (shoulder strap) with two QD attachments, instead of a single attachment, to the new foot (see pic). Thought two attachments made more safety assurance. Is it overkill or any flaw in the setup?
2., The way of attaching the sling to the foot is from the collar orientation at the bottom (foot position at the bottom), so the camera turns upside down. I can also adjust the foot position (collar orientation) to the top and let the camera stay up. There are cons on both setups. For the first setup (camera upside down), lifting the system with the right hand would require a turning down upside the gear for the left hand to take over. But then the left hand will hold/support the foot (my preference). The second setup makes it easy to lift the system to the upside, but the strap and connector will hang over the camera and lens which would interfere with shooting. And your left hand will hold/support the bare bottom of the lens. Which way would you choose to set up? Am I missing anything?
View attachment 406427
I have QD sockets on all both zoom lenses, and recently the Magpul strap. I use a hand strap for safety and a security line.

Attachments

• IMG_3178.jpeg
    IMG_3178.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8

blackstar

I have QD sockets on all both zoom lenses, and recently the Magpul strap. I use a hand strap for safety and a security line.
Nice setup.
According to the photo of yours, I have some questions and suspect (theoretical):
1. It looks like you installed both the shoulder strap (single QD attachment to the lens) and the neck strap (attached to the camera). Plus a safety tether is attached to the camera and the shoulder strap. Which brand is the shoulder strap (badge color)? and which is the black neck strap, which is the safety tether?
2. How do you attach the neck strap to the camera, single or double attachments? QD or QR?
3. Is your shoulder strap a Magpul? How do you get the nice shoulder pad? Is that an add-on?
4. The suspicion: The use of a safety tether - according to your setup, if the QD attached to the lens fails and loses attachment to the lens, the safety tether will take over and transfer the attachment point to the camera. Under the circumstances, the loosened heavy lens will swing and pull down the whole system and adversely stress the contact mechanism between the camera/lens. This is why I chose to have two QDs attached to the lens (saved a safety tether) and hopefully, two QDs will not fail at the same time.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Affinity is running a 50% off sale - so all 3 programs are discounted: Designer 2, Photo 2, and Publisher 2. I've been wanting to try some type of graphic arts program, but Adobe Illustrator is too expensive for what little I'd use it. So I purchased Designer 2. I already have Photoshop so no need for Photo 2, but I'm on the fence about Publisher 2. Does anyone have experience with it?