Post your Insect shots

WeeHector

Anthomyia pluvialis

Anthomyia pluvialis.jpg

Bill16

I got to say there are a ton of awesome shots on this thread! I'm always finding a lot of talented people on here to learn from! Wow! Thank you everybody for sharing your awesome catches with us! It helps no end to see what can be done with patience, skill and a passion for macro photography! Way to go to my fellow macro shooters! :D

WeeHector

I got to say there are a ton of awesome shots on this thread! I'm always finding a lot of talented people on here to learn from! Wow! Thank you everybody for sharing your awesome catches with us! It helps no end to see what can be done with patience, skill and a passion for macro photography! Way to go to my fellow macro shooters! :D

100% with you, Bill. It's the photos posted by others that have pushed me towards better things. A community of people of all levels of ability, offering help and advice to others. That's why this is the best site on the web. :D

Allan LJ

A couple of rare attempts at shooting insects from me, I believe it is a large Cockchafer in our garden.
Not
a very easy task crawling around on the grass without the aid of live view and with the insect partly hidden in the grass.

It's not in the same league as the previous posts in the thread but still learning:)

DSC_6182-1.jpgDSC_6184.jpg

Mike D90

Flickr is being a pain ..doing something wrong...here is one of mine. Salt marsh moth.

Why not post them straight to the forum instead of through Flikr? That way, if Flikr has issues your images still appear. You cannot display them any larger than what the forum allows anyway and the forum will display your EXIF info for you.

Mike D90

A couple of rare attempts at shooting insects from me, I believe it is a large Cockchafer in our garden.
Not
a very easy task crawling around on the grass without the aid of live view and with the insect partly hidden in the grass.

It's not in the same league as the previous posts in the thread but still learning:)

Practice is what it takes!

I can offer some tips though that might move you along quicker.

- Use a lens that has a good close focus ability or a zoom lens that is sharp when zoomed out a good bit.

- Make sure your insect is kind of isolated against the background. In your photos the grass your insect is against takes away from the focus of your main subject and makes the image look too "busy". If possible, get the bug to climb up onto a stick or individual blade of long grass so you can shoot the insect against a less busy background.

- Make sure you use an aperture for good depth of field when shooting close. You need to keep a lot of the insects body in focus and you may have to shoot directly down onto it to do so. I fyou can't get all of it in focus make certain the eyes are tack sharp and properly framed.

Allan LJ

Practice is what it takes!

I can offer some tips though that might move you along quicker.

- Use a lens that has a good close focus ability or a zoom lens that is sharp when zoomed out a good bit.

- Make sure your insect is kind of isolated against the background. In your photos the grass your insect is against takes away from the focus of your main subject and makes the image look too "busy". If possible, get the bug to climb up onto a stick or individual blade of long grass so you can shoot the insect against a less busy background.

- Make sure you use an aperture for good depth of field when shooting close. You need to keep a lot of the insects body in focus and you may have to shoot directly down onto it to do so. I fyou can't get all of it in focus make certain the eyes are tack sharp and properly framed.

Thanks for the tips Mike, I will keep this in mind next time.

I will have to find some more insects in the garden to practice with now:)