Post your birds (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin H

Pin-tail whydah, an African exotic that escaped captivity and has now established itself here. In a nice twist, it has prospered because an Asia exotic, the chestnut mannikin, has also taken root here. Whydah's are parasitic nesters, but only if the other bird has the same size and shape beak, as the mannikin does.The mannikins don't seem to mind an extra mouth to feed, so both species are thriving and now expanding their territories.

Thanks and cool for the birds

Last edited:

Woodyg3

Contributor
We very rarely see Little Blue Herons in Colorado, so even though this is not a great pic, I'll take it. :)

LittleBlue-101.jpg

Roy1961

Pin-tail whydah, an African exotic that escaped captivity and has now established itself here. In a nice twist, it has prospered because an Asia exotic, the chestnut mannikin, has also taken root here. Whydah's are parasitic nesters, but only if the other bird has the same size and shape beak, as the mannikin does.The mannikins don't seem to mind an extra mouth to feed, so both species are thriving and now expanding their territories.

if i had a $ for everytime i heard this today..............lol

wev

Contributor
if i had a $ for everytime i heard this today..............lol

That's what happens when you stand around with those big old cameras on tripods -- attracts questions. I'm gonna have some "Whydah hell?" cards printed to pass out.

pendennis

On the southern border of Wayne County, Michigan, is the Crosswinds Marsh County Park. I visited it for the first time today. It has a lot of improved trails, and quite a bit of swampy ponds. It also has two pair of nesting bald eagles. I spotted a nest, but alas, no eagles today. I did find several swans, some geese, and a few swallows. I used my D750, 200-500 f5.6 Nikkor @500mm, 1.4x Kenko teleconverter for this swan profile. Shot in raw, converted to jpeg.

Swan%20Profile%20Cross%20Wind%20Marsh%208-8-16_zpsouyhmsgm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.