Post processing age old debate!

Photowyzard

I always use RAW, no question about it. Not because I have any love for PP but because I detest randomly throwing away data. The conversion from RAW to JPEG results in 3/4 of the information being tossed in the trash can. I simply do not trust the algorithm to know what to toss out and what to keep. This is not meant as a flame or anything (is the term "flame" still used?) but shooting in JPEG only is akin to turning your fine instrument into the worlds most expensive point and shoot. And if it's the time issue that you don't like about PP, you can automate it to spit out a JPEG but the key to shooting in RAW is that you still have all the data preserved so if you want to go back and access it, it will still be there.

What Mojo said! :)

I use ONLY RAW. Why? I never take a perfect image out of the can. I like to tweak sharpness, brightness, pop some colours, subdue some colours etc.

I also like to have ALL the data in my image. In PP, you never lose any data. Make the changes, etc, but the original image remains. I like that. I have many times gone back and re-tweaked an image.

I really don't like PP, but I believe if you want your image to be the best it can be, you have no choice.

Billy Y.

Yeah? Well, people who don't do it like me SUCK and they don't know nuttin'! And I can prove it!!!

You can't prove I suck, you aren't doing it right, and your avatar...that isn't even you. Besides, when digital first came out I read every article on "the luminous landscape" for like 4 years, so I pretty much know everything...

:cool:

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
You can't prove I suck, you aren't doing it right. Besides, when digital first came out I read every article on "the luminous landscape" for like 4 years, so I pretty much know everything...

I'm offended that you don't think I suck more than you suck. Who do you think you are to tell me how much I do or don't suck?!? I suck, pal. Oh let me tell you! I totally suck!!

er...ah, wait a minute...I think I might have this backwards or something. Let me start over again

Billy Y.

I'm offended that you don't think I suck more than you suck. Who do you think you are to tell me how much I do or don't suck?!? I suck, pal. Oh let me tell you! I totally suck!!

er...ah, wait a minute...I think I might have this backwards or something. Let me start over again

You know what happened there? Jedi mind trick. I can't figure out how you realized it at the end though, I have to work on that.

Last edited:

AC016

You all suck and RAW shooters are wieners!!! for crying out loud, who gives a flying monkey!! Kids these days.... Now marcel can start earning his pay;)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Unfortunately, or fortunately, I don't have the powers to moderate this forum thread.

I don't mind you guys having fun as I read many posts I can almost see the smile of the person writing it. Humor is difficult to evaluate on forums and internet groups. One thing you might want to think about though is that your writing is public domain.

As far as I'm concerned, I won't let my ego take over my good manners and I will simply ask you to either mention that your post are humor or to be a little more polite for the newcomers that are just beginning with our forums.

Otherwise, I'll have to ask Edouard to do something with this thread.

Live and let live.

Carolina Photo Guy

Unfortunately, or fortunately, I don't have the powers to moderate this forum thread.

I don't mind you guys having fun as I read many posts I can almost see the smile of the person writing it. Humor is difficult to evaluate on forums and internet groups. One thing you might want to think about though is that your writing is public domain.

As far as I'm concerned, I won't let my ego take over my good manners and I will simply ask you to either mention that your post are humor or to be a little more polite for the newcomers that are just beginning with our forums.

Otherwise, I'll have to ask Edouard to do something with this thread.

Live and let live.

I like chicken! :)

Rick M

Ok, I'll behave, but Mojo keeps sticking out his tongue at me, D5100shooter keeps doing the rabbit ears thing behind your head
and Pete needs to get a room with that chicken :)

Disclaimer: All of the above is in jest and the names haven't been changed to protect the guilty.

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
Marcel - cnyram won't move his feet and he's keeps putting where my feet are and my feet were there first! And Pete keeps making chicken noises...stop it, Pete!! D5100 is starring at me! Look, he did it again!

Are we there yet...? I have to pee. :(

Billy Y.

I'm sorry, we have been through this over and over and over again, and you just can't seem to grasp it with your primitive minds. What I say is right and what you all say (unless you agree with me) is just wrong. :D:D

Seriously though, I'm not being serious.

Last edited:

mac66

New here, but just wanted to way in on post-processing. I don't have an editor that can edit RAW images, but lately I take my photos with the RAW&F format and save the RAW to disc for the future editing. Over the years, I've found that one can get carried away with post-processing. (I always remind myself to make duplicates of the originals for PP and save the originals-a big mistake I made when I started out).

At most, I find that a bit of color correction, then clarify is about all I use. Of course, if you want to make your photo look like a painting, you can do it. As someone said, each to his own method? ;)

Bill16

Saving an Unaltered copy of your raw photos is a great idea! I haven't done that much due to lack of space, but I do try to on the shots I like best now! :D

New here, but just wanted to way in on post-processing. I don't have an editor that can edit RAW images, but lately I take my photos with the RAW&F format and save the RAW to disc for the future editing. Over the years, I've found that one can get carried away with post-processing. (I always remind myself to make duplicates of the originals for PP and save the originals-a big mistake I made when I started out).

At most, I find that a bit of color correction, then clarify is about all I use. Of course, if you want to make your photo look like a painting, you can do it. As someone said, each to his own method? ;)