portrait speedlight studio set up needed

Bill16

To answer your questions my friend, I'd have to say I'm not up to building my own stands. At least not these days.

I am willing to pay about $100.00 for a good quality starter setup. And hopefully later I could add to my muslin backdrop colors when I have the money to.:)

How handy are you? My Dad built his backdrop stands. Although, it is much easier to just buy what you need.

How much do you want to pay for a professional muslin?

RocketCowboy

I just need the backdrop stands and muslin that will be big enough to cover all the bases.

Bill,

My first backdrops were seamless paper. Cheap way to go. My first roll was black, then later I picked up a roll of white ... but you could also get grey or any other color. I've since picked up a couple muslin backgrounds that I can travel with, but then I also have to worry about getting creases/wrinkles out or blurring the background enough to not notice.

On background stands, I got a crossbar that also works with my light stands, so I have the flexibility to mix/match stands as needed. I went the Manfrotto route, which might also be out of budget, but I suspect there are similar options from other light stand manufacturers as well.

Bill16

I just bought 10'x20' backdrop stands and it comes with black and white muslin. It cost a $109.00, but hopefully it will work great.:)

RON_RIP

I'm looking to get a good setup while I can, or I may end up with sheets like your saying my friend. I would just prefer a better quality setup if I can get one.
Actually Bill, the sheets are more than an adequate substitute for muslin. The new microfibre sheet or the Bamboo sheets that are on discount everywhere make an excellent backdrop material and there is a large range of colors available. Some of what passes for photographic backdrop material is downright tacky. Sturdy stands, which can be made from 2x4's are more important to the setup. My setup, is a large curtain dowel suspended from the beam in my shop by utility chains and an appropriate sheet draped over it. Of course it helps that I have south facing windows that backlight the material.

Bill16

Just goes to show how little I know.lol :)
But I won't even open most of my packages I just bought, until I am settled in a new appartment. It is just easier to buy premade gear, than to make gear and hope it will still workout in the new home. This way it is ready boxed up for the move to my new home when I finally find the right appartment.

Thank you for the heads up on sheets, in case I need to go that way.:)

Actually Bill, the sheets are more than an adequate substitute for muslin. The new microfibre sheet or the Bamboo sheets that are on discount everywhere make an excellent backdrop material and there is a large range of colors available. Some of what passes for photographic backdrop material is downright tacky. Sturdy stands, which can be made from 2x4's are more important to the setup. My setup, is a large curtain dowel suspended from the beam in my shop by utility chains and an appropriate sheet draped over it. Of course it helps that I have south facing windows that backlight the material.

ashleynicole87

I do mini shoots for holidays at work and I often run down and my a nice opaque flat sheet and clamp it to a backdrop stand. It works well and they're machine washable when you are working with kids! You can easily come across patters and designs you wouldn't find in other places too for children's portraits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PapaST

Since you have all the gear... you should do shots of yourself for practice. You can try different power settings, different poses, different light positions. I think that kind of practice will help you out when you're doing the real thing.

Bill16

When I finally get a chance to, after I get into an appartment, I will do just that.That is a great idea, though I must admit I hate having my photo taken.lol :D

Since you have all the gear... you should do shots of yourself for practice. You can try different power settings, different poses, different light positions. I think that kind of practice will help you out when you're doing the real thing.

ashleynicole87

Do you have family near by? My sister lives next door and has 2 small children. They are my Guinea pigs. She loves it! She also gets so into it she buys props and anything that she finds that I can use in a portrait setting when she comes across it because it's helpful to her. It's helping me a lot because I'm just getting a lot of practice. I've got a long way to go but I love it.
80bb6e0e6054399ce9177505f7c24e36.jpg
80bb6e0e6054399ce9177505f7c24e36.jpg
b9f4b915fafa797f16cb57e872a19302.jpg

Bill16

No I don't have any family anywhere near me. But I'm sorta trying to get some shots of the neighbors!lol :)

Someday I might find a willing guinea pig, besides myself, but no luck yet!lol :D

Do you have family near by? My sister lives next door and has 2 small children. They are my Guinea pigs. She loves it! She also gets so into it she buys props and anything that she finds that I can use in a portrait setting when she comes across it because it's helpful to her. It's helping me a lot because I'm just getting a lot of practice. I've got a long way to go but I love it.

Bill16

Well I got my Yongnuo triggers today, but as far looks and feel goes I'm not very impressed. Maybe once I start using them I will be impressed with how well they work.

I can't complain much, because I don't think they were very expensive!lol ;)
But considering I can't likely replace them, I just might complain if they don't work good!lol :D

Bill16

Damn they take two AAA batteries each! I need to scrape up the money to buy some rechargeable AAAs!
I should have guessed, but I admit I never even considered they would! Yes I'm a dummy.lol :)

Well I got my Yongnuo triggers today, but as far looks and feel goes I'm not very impressed. Maybe once I start using them I will be impressed with how well they work.

I can't complain much, because I don't think they were very expensive!lol ;)
But considering I can't likely replace them, I just might complain if they don't work good!lol :D