Photography Magazines

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't recall having a thread dedicated to photography magazines (if @Marilynne knows of one, I'm sure she will merge them). Clearly magazines are not something many people read anymore. However, I stopped in Barnes & Noble which is a big box bookstore here in the USA. While there I remembered how I stopped in almost monthly to look at their photography magazines. So............

This was one of only a few photo magazines. And it's a dedicated Nikon magazine! Who knew? :unsure: But I didn't buy it. The cost was $15.99 US which is a tad expensive for me. Other than flipping through the pages really quick, I didn't look at any of its articles.

So ... does anyone read paper magazines anymore? Or even digital photography magazines?

IMG_0783 low res.jpg

Danno

I don't recall having a thread dedicated to photography magazines (if @Marilynne knows of one, I'm sure she will merge them). Clearly magazines are not something many people read anymore. However, I stopped in Barnes & Noble which is a big box bookstore here in the USA. While there I remembered how I stopped in almost monthly to look at their photography magazines. So............

This was one of only a few photo magazines. And it's a dedicated Nikon magazine! Who knew? :unsure: But I didn't buy it. The cost was $15.99 US which is a tad expensive for me. Other than flipping through the pages really quick, I didn't look at any of its articles.

So ... does anyone read paper magazines anymore? Or even digital photography magazines?

View attachment 394815
I had cheep subscription to this magazine. It is decent but over priced.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I had cheep subscription to this magazine. It is decent but over priced.
Really? I haven't looked at magazines for well over a decade so obviously have no idea what's out there. What I do remember is many of the photography magazines that looked good at Barnes & Noble seemed to come from Europe. So perhaps they added in extra to cover shipping across the ocean. Makes me wonder if I should go back and take a closer look at it! 🙂

BF Hammer

I used to habitually buy various computer magazines. And I would pick up Outdoor Photographer at the supermarket when I saw it. But I noticed about 12 years ago I was buying the magazine, then barely looking at them later. I stopped with all periodicals unfortunately. That is what blogs and Youtube channels do for me now.

I also switched to a Kindle for book reading. Flipping paper pages is sooooo time consuming (whiny voice). ;)

Needa

Challenge Team
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
they should be free with all the ads they have.
The amount advertisers pay for adds is based on circulation so a readership goes down publications require more ads and the purchase price goes up. Both tend to reduce the circulation more, a death spiral.

Needa

Challenge Team
I also switched to a Kindle for book reading. Flipping paper pages is sooooo time consuming (whiny voice). ;)
Prefer a paperback (no charging & lighter) but it's so much easier to find, pick up and return books on line.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

View attachment 394815
Only found one, but it's from 2010.

Woodyg3

Contributor
When I was a kid I subscribed to Modern Photography and Popular Photography. I let those subscriptions lapse in college and only read occasional issues after that. For a while I picked up Outdoor Photographer almost every month, but like all magazines it got smaller and smaller and the price went up and up.

Clovishound

I used to subscribe to Pop Photography back in the day. Before the internet, the ads were nice, as you could see what deals the New York mail order camera stores had. It was a lot cheaper buying cameras and lenses from them as opposed to a local camera store.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
When I was a kid I subscribed to Modern Photography and Popular Photography. I let those subscriptions lapse in college and only read occasional issues after that. For a while I picked up Outdoor Photographer almost every month, but like all magazines it got smaller and smaller and the price went up and up.
I used to subscribe to Pop Photography back in the day. Before the internet, the ads were nice, as you could see what deals the New York mail order camera stores had. It was a lot cheaper buying cameras and lenses from them as opposed to a local camera store.
I used to subscribe to Popular Photography and Outdoor Photographer and remember becoming very immersed in the content. But eventually they had more and more ads. It's a shame. While I appreciate having digital content, some of the caveman features from years gone by (such as paper magazines) just cannot be replicated nearly as well as the real deal was.

BF Hammer

My high school library had Popular Photography in the racks during the early 1980s. I read those whenever I saw a new issue. I actually remember seeing low-res digital images submitted in the reader's gallery. I have to suppose those were home-made digital cameras then.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I have an Apple News subscription which includes access to the electronic versions of many magazines including NPhoto. Love reading them on my iPad Pro.

Peter7100

Many years ago I used to regularly buy Amateur Photographer, Outdoor Photography and Practical Photography but I can't remember the last time I looked at photography magazine, let alone buy one.