Photo contests?

Not sure how it's going to end up working, but there's another forum I belong to that has a blind contest every month.
How it works:

Member sends an image in to the admin (or contest administrator)
Upon closing the contest to further entries, the administrator posts up the images in the order in which they were received - uploaded to the server, so there's no names attached to it, and the members vote on the image they think is the best. No one knows who submitted the entry except the administrator, so it isn't a popularity contest, it's a true contest to choose the best photograph.

Joseph Bautsch

Very good suggestion. The more outside influences that can be kept out of the judging process the better. My local club has a rule that if a photo places in any club contest then it is no longer eligible to be entered again. Otherwise it can be entered as many times as it qualifies for a contest theme.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
So I guess I have some thinking to do as for how to set this up with the software we have. I don't want it to be overly complicated, but at the same time I want everything to be fair.

Regardless, I'd like to start things off with a one category, 3 winner contest. (1st, 2nd, 3rd) I'm still thinking a gift cards for prizes.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Regardless, I'd like to start things off with a one category, 3 winner contest. (1st, 2nd, 3rd) I'm still thinking a gift cards for prizes.

I'm not familiar with VBulletin but is it possible to add something to the profile to indicate a challenge/contest winner? It would be very nice if like on your reply above where it shows Join Date, Location, etc we could indicate winners. Just a thought.

Browncoat

Yes, custom titles can be done w/ vBulletin. You just have to create a new user group, name it appropriately, and add members to receive the designation.

Joseph Bautsch

How about a ribbon icon, blue for first place, red for second place, and green for third place? A suggestion for the first contest: Category - "Open" to all members of the community. Theme - "General" any photo taken by a community member. Even if only one photo is entered by each member that can be a lot of photos to be judged. Suggestion, let the Nikonites Staff make the first cut to reduce the number to say 20. Then those can be submitted to the community to be voted on.

Browncoat

The problem I see with the title/icon thing is what if someone wins multiple contests? Another idea is to just put a link in your signature regarding contest winners. There are enough people around w/ Photoshop skills here, I'm sure we could come up with a special Nikonites-official winner graphic or something.

The problem I see with the title/icon thing is what if someone wins multiple contests? Another idea is to just put a link in your signature regarding contest winners. There are enough people around w/ Photoshop skills here, I'm sure we could come up with a special Nikonites-official winner graphic or something.

In the other forums I browse, in order to keep the contest fresh with new winners the rules state that if you have won the contest, you sit on the sidelines for a few months. This allows other people to win. I'm not sure I agree with Joseph on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places, only because that would leave us too many winners - and take away the "special" feel of the contest (IMHO).

Personally, I'd be happy with a custom (admin/HTML allowed) title saying something like: "POTM Winner 09/10" in a different color (blue/green/etc.) and if they win again, simply update the month/year. Simple, something people can't copy/paste/use without earning it, and takes the admin about 30 seconds to do in the back room. BTW, I own/administrate a vBulletin forum, founded (and sold) another, so I know how it works.

Joseph Bautsch

Instead of making a winner sit on the side line for a few months or however long, what about banning any winning photo from ever being re-entered in any more contests. Then the winners will have to keep coming up with new material rather than penalizing them for being a winner.

Perhaps we can reward the winner with them choosing the next subject - but on one forum I frequent, there are a couple of professional photographers who would take most any contest they entered, from month to month. In fairness to others, it would be better if we spread out the winners a bit, rather than simply have a "ringer" win each time. It encourages those who are developing skills to enter, rather than see work from the same person each month and get discouraged from entering.

Browncoat

Can't say that I agree with the "winner must sit out" thing either. If you're a good 'tog, then you deserve the kudos from your peers, IMHO. I would rather know I won going up against the best this forum has to offer as opposed to being handed a gratuitous title where my biggest competition was sitting that contest out.

Joseph Bautsch

Your point is made. I know of a professional on another site that is a constant winner. Earlier in this thread there was a discussion on how to encourage the beginner and amateur to participate in these contests against others of the same skill level. Three skill levels was suggested with "open" being the highest. Perhaps professionals and multi contest winners can be limited to the open category. That would keep them out of the less skilled categories. Or create a "Masters" category for professionals and multi contest winners. The way to police the skill levels would be to require anyone placing more than two times at that skill level must move up to the next level.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
On one forum I frequent, there are a couple of professional photographers who would take most any contest they entered, from month to month. In fairness to others, it would be better if we spread out the winners a bit, rather than simply have a "ringer" win each time. It encourages those who are developing skills to enter, rather than see work from the same person each month and get discouraged from entering.

Your point is made. I know of a professional on another site that is a constant winner. Earlier in this thread there was a discussion on how to encourage the beginner and amateur to participate in these contests against others of the same skill level. Three skill levels was suggested with "open" being the highest. Perhaps professionals and multi contest winners can be limited to the open category. That would keep them out of the less skilled categories. Or create a "Masters" category for professionals and multi contest winners. The way to police the skill levels would be to require anyone placing more than two times at that skill level must move up to the next level.

GREAT comments which I totally agree with!

One more idea, as the site matures, is to limit beginner to folks that have been registered for some period of time.