Organized Chaos?

Joseph Bautsch

This is the second shot that placed in my photo clubs recent competition. It won honorable mention in open class out of 39 entries. This is an entirely different style of shooting from that used with the RR shot. The RR shot (posted yesterday) was a completely planned shot. This one is a shot of opportunity, see the shot, frame it and shoot. The camera settings are pre-set for the conditions, no filter, hand held. It was taken from the deck of a 125ft. twin hull ship while cruising around Gull Island off the coast of Homer Alaska (Kenai Peninsula). A bald Eagle had landed on the island and set off a massive flight of most of the birds nesting there. These are Kittiwakes (Gulls) and they are on the eagles menu. The birds take flight like this to create mass confusion and prevent the eagle from being able to pick out any one for a meal. For the birds it really is organized chaos.

_DSC3219.jpg
EXIF: D90, 70-300mm, Focal Length 300mm, ISO 400, f/11, Shutter Speed 1/250, both VR and Active VR turned on, White Balance Cloudy, Adobe RGB, Aperture Post Processing.

Last edited:

KWJams

Great composition. Wish I could figure out which one is the Eagle. When looking, I keep getting lost in the confusion. :)

Joseph Bautsch

Attached is a shot of the Eagle that caused the mass flight. A juvenile Bald Eagle sitting on a ridge of the island (not in the shot) and as might be expected looking very confused. The adult birds are probably not at much risk from this youngster.

_DSC3289.jpg

ohkphoto

Snow White
This also is a great capture, Joseph. The eagle reminds me of a kid in a candy store . . . Hmmm, too many choices!

Congratulations on the honorable mention. Really an awesome shot!

Last edited by a moderator:

KWJams

Great picture. He looks really peeved that his grand plan to swoop in and pig out has gone sour.
There must be a moral to the story about how the impetuousness of youth scares dinner away. :)

Last edited by a moderator: