Ordered another lens for D3100 - Just wanted to share

ohkphoto

Snow White
Helene, use of a shopping cart to carry personal belongings on the street in the State of Georgia will land you in jail. Shopping carts by law belong to the stores in the shopping malls or other locations and used only for their products. Shopping carts are not sold to the general public so if you have one on the street and you are using it for personal belongings you can be arrested for possession of stolen property.

God forbid that some poor, homeless person use one of Wal-Mart's precious shopping carts for whatever stuff he or she may still have. This is a photography forum so I won't get on a tirade about "stupid laws designed to protect big business and keep the rest of us under control."

ChrisM

Well I got an email today concerning my lens. It's backordered and they have no clue when it will be available considering the situation in Japan. *sigh*

Joseph Bautsch

ChrisM, bummer. :( Hope they can get it to you soon.

Helene, the purpose of the law was to stop the homeless who were trading, buying and selling, drugs and weapons. They use the shopping carts to hide their illegal trade. Without reasonable cause the police were unable to stop and search the carts. By making the carts illegal they were able to come down hard on this illegal trade. Of course the drug dealers just went to using baby carriages and strollers. (My youngest son is an Atlanta police officer and deals with this every day.) But they were still able to substantially reduce the drug and weapons trade among the homeless.

Rick M

Chris m- If it's any consolation that particular lens is frequently on backorder everywhere and has been long before the Japan situation. That lens is actually made in China. The combination of low cost and high quality keeps it out of stock frequently.

ChrisM

Chris m- If it's any consolation that particular lens is frequently on backorder everywhere and has been long before the Japan situation. That lens is actually made in China. The combination of low cost and high quality keeps it out of stock frequently.

That makes me feel a little better. I didn't think it was a Japan made one, but I was going on what the email I got said. Hopefully it comes back in stock soon. I checked around and the only other place I found it was on Amazon and the price was twice the amount I paid for it.

Joseph Bautsch

Is the lens made in China or assembled in china or a combination of both? Probably a combination of both. From what I understand Nikon does not contract out the production of their ED glass. Nobody can get their hands on that technology. Especially the Chinese who have no problem with taking someone else's technology for their own use. They do contract out the low end point and shoot glass (plastic). So the hangup may be the shortage of the ED glass from Nikon for the lens assembled in China.

nightWolf

I've just done the same, ordered the 35mm 1.8 as my first lens buy ever!!
Tracking DHL, it's already waiting for me back home, and I'm stuck at work!

Can't wait to use it, have a few family birthday parties coming up - hoping to test out the sharpness and bokeh!

Excited .....

Toppers

I think I have fallen into NAS as well I have 2 lens now (see siggy) but find my self drawn to looking at others for future use!! My wife is unsure whether photography will soon outstrip my computer hobby money wise. All I know is that my wish list for xmas is growing, whereas before I struggled and got socks etc. I think my children preferred that to "Oh I would like this lens and this tripod etc...." situation

Last edited by a moderator:

Sambr

Re: Just wanted to share

. . . and doesn't end until you have least one 1.4 in your bag . . . sigh

Congratulations, ChrisM, and enjoy!

Didn't stop at the 1.4 - I bought 10 more lenses and another 1.4(85mm) after buying my 50mm 1.4 - I am up to 30 lenses and counting.........

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

Re: Just wanted to share

Didn't stop at the 1.4 - I bought 10 more lenses and another 1.4(85mm) after buying my 50mm 1.4 - I am up to 30 lenses and counting.........

Good Lord! lol I have 5 lenses, and thankful I have those! :) That's not to say I wouldn't want to get another lens though. ;)

FoxRacer2

Oh my 30 lenses!! Do you even use them all? You should so take a picture of all of them!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk