Nikon Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 VR

Danno

Well, I am going to pass on this lens. I think big lenses may be in my rearview mirror these days. I picked up a 24-120 f4 S lens yesterday. That will work on my out-and-about stuff.

Catherder

Took the lens out for a walk today, all shot wide open at 600mm f/6.3. to see how it did. To me it seems a bit soft, but I'm comparing it to my 500PF.
Might have to mess around with the fine tune in the Z8 to see if that helps.

Mockingbird.jpg

Bluebird.jpg

Towhee 2.jpg

Towhee.jpg

Last edited:

BF Hammer

Is there an adapter that one could purchase to use this lense on a D7500 or D7200 body?
I have not seen any Z to F adapter. Z lenses mount far closer to the sensor in a mirrorless body so there is the issue of focus point.

Sigma and Tamron 150-600mm lenses are well respected and even less expensive new. They do extend length as they zoom but otherwise very similar to the Z lens.

Hype is more because prior we had to adapt the F Tamron and Sigma to Z bodies and now we have a native Z option that looks a little better on initial reviews.

blackstar

Finally, finally, 6 months later, I received mine today! Immediately put it on my z6ii and went out in the yard for something to test shoot: no closed birds but one neighbor's kitty and day moon. Feel the same way as Catherder: a little soft (especially the moon). I haven't set it on Gimble yet, so all shots were handheld. Now admitted old and having weak arms for this heavy beast... :(
KFW_6029gimps.JPG

KFW_6053gimps.JPG

KFW_6056gimps.JPG

KFW_6055gimps.JPG

blackstar

As weak arms led my mind toward using a tripod with a gimble head, I stumbled upon Steve's tripod technique video. (
)

I wonder if anyone is familiar with and practices the technique regularly. Also, I am not sure that the z186's collar can work out with this technique (shown in the video the lens on the gimble head can not only move and point to horizontal and vertical directions but seemingly can point to any direction)? Anyone's comment?

Update: Set my system (z6ii+z186) on my tripod with a gimble head. Balance the system and loosen two nobes on the gimble (not the screw on the collar of z186): amazingly I was handling the system and able to point the small "cannon" in any direction I want smoothly just like in the video! So this does work.

Last edited:

Catherder

Finally, finally, 6 months later, I received mine today! Immediately put it on my z6ii and went out in the yard for something to test shoot: no closed birds but one neighbor's kitty and day moon. Feel the same way as Catherder: a little soft (especially the moon). I haven't set it on Gimble yet, so all shots were handheld. Now admitted old and having weak arms for this heavy beast... :(
View attachment 399386
View attachment 399387
View attachment 399388
View attachment 399389
DXO updated their software to include the 180-600. That seems to have fixed the softness issue for me.
Took some shots of my dog which I deleted, but the eye and lashes were sharp.

Last edited: