Nikon Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 VR

blackstar

Nikon just announced two z zoom lenses. See the 180-600mm: Here

Good things include: light ~ 4.3 lb, fixed length - internal zoom (probably no need to adjust position on gimble when zooming for balance), ... reasonable price ~$1300, and good quality/performance are expected.

(if I could hold until now, I would buy this instead of Sigma)

Clovishound

I love my 200-500 F mount on my Z5, but would love to have a native mount long tele.

I see they have a 70-180 F 2.8 coming out as well.

BF Hammer

It has been a long-needed addition that Sigma and Tamron was serving in F-mount. I will be watching for reviews. But I am still staying with my lens roadmap to buy a 14-24mm wide angle next when finances allow it. My telephotos are less of an issue using the FTG adapter because they are already long and unwieldy.

Woodyg3

Contributor
The fact that Nikon has this lens in the mirrorless lineup, along with a complete range of quality lenses, takes me just a tad closer to going mirrorless one of these days.

Clovishound

I'm glad I switched. Of course, I was dealing with an entry level crop frame DSLR, and went to the entry level full frame. Still, there are a lot of features the mirrorless has that the DSLRs just don't have.

When I bought my Z5 the biggest issue was the lack of affordable telephoto lenses. This lens looks like it might fill the bill.

blackstar

Looks nice. List price is showing as 1699.95 U.S.
My mistake! The price is ~$1700 and also, the weight is ~4.7 lb. It was very late last night like a sweet dream that every number 7 turned into 3... But the sweet dream waking makes the real world less regretful (bought Sigma at a much lower cost and only a tad heavier).

Patrick M

Just ordered one to go with my Z8.
Me too.
I had the 200-500 that on reflection I only used in anger , once. On a 2 week Antarctica expedition. It was superb!
But I also felt the z 200-600 would complete my lens set…indeed the z180-600 will certainly do so.
4 points I took from Steve Perry are
1 it’s not quite so heavy
2 it’s a very short throw, 70° from one extreme to the other
3 it’s all internal, so unlike the 200-500 which grew about 5”
4 it’ll balance well, because of 3, should you need to use a tripod.
i‘m happy to rent, indeed in a couple of weeks I’m renting the z100-400, but this z180-600 is low enough price wise, to be a buy. For me.

Clovishound

I watched the above posted review of it today. He gives a lot of comparisons to the 200-500 I currently have and use with the FTZ. Sounds like it is an upgrade in terms of VR, AF, weight, zoom ratio and build quality. On the other hand it is not a big upgrade in terms of sharpness. As a wash, my 200-500 is shorter at 200mm for storage, but longer when zoomed to 500. I even went so far as to see what I could get for it from KEH. Their online calculator said $600 - $650 depending on whether it's consider like new or not. Not sure if a private sale would net enough difference to justify the hassle. Considering I paid $1050 for it new and have a year's use out of it, not bad, but that also means I would have to lay out another $1000K + to get this lens.

I think I'll just wait until either I win the lottery, or people start offering me big bucks for copies of my work.

I'm not holding my breath for either one.

Danno

I pre-ordered the lens through a local brick-and-mortar camera shop near my home. They put your name on the list and call you when they have a copy. No cash is requested or credit card info is required to hold your place in line. They are a great bunch of folks.

blackstar

Now I am returning Sigma and selling FTZ for this new Z Tele lens. Pre-order at B&H not knowing when it'll come. Anyone has a prediction: early, mid, or late Aug?