Nikon D700 or nikon 1 V3

Bill16

Well there is one other camera I'm considering, if I find one with 150,000 or less actuations (preferably less lol ) at a price in my range! Yes the D3! Weight isn't an issue since I always use battery grips on my Nikon's and the D700 with grip is heavier than the D3 from what I've read! :)
And yes I wish I could pull out enough money to buy a D3s, but that just isn't happening while they are so high I don't think.:(

Bill16

So is anybody recommending the D3 over the D700? Weight isn't and issue, and I found a couple D3 Nikons running about the same price as a D700 with about 68,000 actuations! I can only hope there will be others when the money is available! :)

So what do you think? D3 or D700?

Bill16

The odds are I'll end up with another D700, though I think I'd love the D3! But the D3 is about $300 more at best than the best buy I can get on the D700!
I will keep open for an opportunity for a D3, but it isn't likely to happen unfortunately!

We'll you never know, I might get lucky! :)

Blacktop

The odds are I'll end up with another D700, though I think I'd love the D3! But the D3 is about $300 more at best than the best buy I can get on the D700!
I will keep open for an opportunity for a D3, but it isn't likely to happen unfortunately!

We'll you never know, I might get lucky! :)

Personally if you ask me, If I was to go FF and had not the funds for a D750 or an 810, I would most likely go the D3 route. But tha's just me thinking out loud. If I was considering a FF right now, I would probably be going back and forth all day and week. I feel your dilemma.

Ironwood

From what I can see, there is not much between them IQ wise, the main differences are in the features. The D3 has dual card slots, to me that is quite a bonus and the extra battery power is also a plus, though if you put a grip on the D700 it might be the same. But if you add a grip to the D700, it will bring it closer to the price of the D3.

If I was choosing between the 2, I would find the extra $300 for the D3. But by then I would be looking at how much more I needed for a D750 :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Since you already have a D700 with a grip (I don't know if you also have a second grip for your D300), I'd just get another D700 and switch grips if and when you feel like it. I'd rather spend the extra money on a lens or on something more useful that you might need. Would having a D3 get you better pictures? What are your subjects of choice when it comes to photography? It's so easy to imagine that filling our "want list" will make us happy, but you have to remember that a camera is just a tool to make images and even if you have 3 or 4 cameras, you can only use one at a time. So it's up to you to know what you really need to improve your photography. Unless you just want to collect them.
It's like the car analogy, a car collector usually will have different brands or models. I've never heard of a car collector that has 5 of the same, same year, model and color.

Just food for thoughts. It's your money after all.

Bill16

A second FX is a goal, but a D3 is a wanted model. So a D3 will be what I'll shoot for, and I'll dream of it being a D3s that I can't afford.
I put grips on every Nikon I have that can work with one on it! Both my D700 and D300 are gripped and I have another grip just in case I get another D700! :)

Since you already have a D700 with a grip (I don't know if you also have a second grip for your D300), I'd just get another D700 and switch grips if and when you feel like it. I'd rather spend the extra money on a lens or on something more useful that you might need. Would having a D3 get you better pictures? What are your subjects of choice when it comes to photography? It's so easy to imagine that filling our "want list" will make us happy, but you have to remember that a camera is just a tool to make images and even if you have 3 or 4 cameras, you can only use one at a time. So it's up to you to know what you really need to improve your photography. Unless you just want to collect them.
It's like the car analogy, a car collector usually will have different brands or models. I've never heard of a car collector that has 5 of the same, same year, model and color.

Just food for thoughts. It's your money after all.

Bill16

I've decided I'm going to try to get a Nikon D3! If I can find one for just $300 or so over what a D700 goes for with 25% of the predicted lifetime of actuations, then I will go for a D3!
Though I would love to upgrade my V1 to a V3, that will have to wait till the price drops later on! Lol :)

I don't feel that there is a good enough reason to try another brand and rebuy all the lenses I feel are wanted/needed, though I did see some good possible choices for someone without so much invested in Nikon!! :)

Bill16

OK one last change folks! I'm going for a D3s! Yes I'm serious! Lol My beloved says it's OK, so that is what I'll be trying for! :)

Bill16

Sorta a strange result considering how the thread started, but I have my beloved to thank for it! When bouncing ideas in the form of questions at my love, she saw what I was missing due to cost! She said right out buy the D3s! She's been listening to my non-stop Nikon talk for so long she was pretty fast even when I asked what I should buy, the D3 or the D3s! She asked which I would want most, which one was better, and of course I said the D3s! Well she said buy the D3s, and I was in shock! I said I was unsure about the cost, and she said just save until you got the money to buy one! After that it was settled in her book as a done deal! Lol Isn't she wonderful! :D

Chayelle

Does anybody recommend the V3 or maybe some other camera that you think would be a good choice for me? So far the D700 is where I'm leaning, but I want to keep an open mind to options you might think are better! Maybe you see or know of something I've missed!

Bill... we have the D700 and love it. But thought the Nikon 1 V2 would be a nice lightweight
camera to carry around. But, it is now for sale! duh! I had it in a nice bag with other lenses,
ready to grab, right next to my purse...
but, I never seemed to use it. I always wanted my D70 or D700!
Yet, so many are going to the smaller cameras and really enjoy them. I found out the hard way on buying
the smaller camera... lesson learned!! :)

Chayelle

OK one last change folks! I'm going for a D3s! Yes I'm serious! Lol My beloved says it's OK, so that is what I'll be trying for!

OOPS! Just finished reading the thread... :eek:
Congratulations on the D3s...
when you get it, I will be looking to see how you like it!

Bill16

Thank you, I decided to go with the D3s! :)

Bill... we have the D700 and love it. But thought the Nikon 1 V2 would be a nice lightweight
camera to carry around. But, it is now for sale! duh! I had it in a nice bag with other lenses,
ready to grab, right next to my purse...
but, I never seemed to use it. I always wanted my D70 or D700!
Yet, so many are going to the smaller cameras and really enjoy them. I found out the hard way on buying
the smaller camera... lesson learned!! :)

AC016

which would you choose to buy if you were me? A d700 or a v3? :) i have a nikon 1 v1 with a few lenses for the v1 along with a flash! I have a d700 a d300 and a variety of nikkor lenses, nearly all af-d type! I also have a sb-800 flash and three tripods and three nikon battery grips to fit the d300 and d700!

Prime lenses
rokinon14, nikkor af-d20,24,28,35,50,105, nikkor ais 135,200

a few zooms counting a nikkor af-d 80-400

nikkor 1 lenses
10-30,18.5,30-110

so what do you think? All feedback welcome! :d

d700 ;)