Nikon D700 or nikon 1 V3

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Oops! No, you're looking at about $2000.00 :). I'm just kidding around here, but it is a great system!

Rick -I'm sure that by now, everyone here have figured out that photography as a hobby or profession, is not cheap. If not, the newbies will quickly learn that. LOL!

Rick M

I really like the retro look, feel and performance. These are solid little metal bodies; the pro series of lenses are metal barreled precision works of art with fantastic optics.

Olympus OMD EM5 Mark2_Snapseed.jpg

Photo credit: Visual science labs

Bill16

I think if I was going to buy a camera that expensive, I'd save up and buy the D3s,D4,or D4s which is my dream camera! :)

I really like the retro look, feel and performance. These are solid little metal bodies; the pro series of lenses are metal barreled precision works of art with fantastic optics.

View attachment 147047

Photo credit: Visual science labs

Ironwood

Which would you choose to buy if you were me? A D700 or a V3? :) "...........

So what do you think? All feedback welcome! :D

Bill, I think if you have to ask this question, then the answer is, you don't need either of them.
If you have this money, and it's burning a hole in your pocket, and have nothing else to spend it on, then toss a coin and buy a camera to put with the others.

Bill16

Asking a question and having to ask a question is two different things! I didn't need to ask! But I figured other eyes and experiences might see something I might have missed!
I'm sorry you see so little in me! :(

Bill, I think if you have to ask this question, then the answer is, you don't need either of them.
If you have this money, and it's burning a hole in your pocket, and have nothing else to spend it on, then toss a coin and buy a camera to put with the others.

Last edited:

Ironwood

Asking a question and having to ask a question is two different things! I didn't need to ask! But I figured other eyes and experiences might see something I might have missed!
I'm sorry you see so little in me! :(

Bill, I don't think any less of you for having asked the question.
And yes, sometimes it's better to get others opinions to help decide what's best.
And since you asked for opinions, I gave you mine :).

Bill16

Your right, I did ask for feedback. I apologize. I should have expected some opinions about me instead of just the cameras. Thank you for your feedback. :)

Bill, I don't think any less of you for having asked the question.
And yes, sometimes it's better to get others opinions to help decide what's best.
And since you asked for opinions, I gave you mine :).

mikew_RIP

Bill does the V1 fall short for you,as you know i have the V2 and its a great carry round camera,the thing is i would struggle to take it as a serious part of my kit IMO its a fun camera.There is nothing worse than not being able to use the gear you have i know when it happens to me i start looking at buying again.
My money would be on another D700 you dont need to justify it, if you want it thats good enough for me,go get it :D but if you feel the need for something different i would guess the V3 is a lot different to the V1.

Bill16

Thank you sooooo much for this post my friend! :D

The V1 is just a fun camera to me too! Lol I am leaning heavily towards another D700, as I'm loving that nikon model! It is a seroiusly great camera! But I try hard to keep an open mind, in case there is something I miss, even a different camera or brand even. But I tend to be Nikon biased! Lol :)

Bill does the V1 fall short for you,as you know i have the V2 and its a great carry round camera,the thing is i would struggle to take it as a serious part of my kit IMO its a fun camera.There is nothing worse than not being able to use the gear you have i know when it happens to me i start looking at buying again.
My money would be on another D700 you dont need to justify it, if you want it thats good enough for me,go get it :D but if you feel the need for something different i would guess the V3 is a lot different to the V1.

Blacktop

I'm going to agree with @mikew here @Bill16. I know that you had your heart set on a second D700 body. I always go with my first instinct.
When I was thinking of a second body to my D7100, my first instinct was to get the D300 as I really loved it the first time I had it before I sold it to you.
Then I started thinking of FF and what not, but my mind always wondered back to the D300. Now as fate would have it, I'm getting back the original one that I sold to you to begin with.

Bill16

Thanks buddy, I really appreciate it! I kept your Stevie Nick safe and well cared for for you buddy! She will be ready to come home to you very soon now Pete my friend! :D

I'm going to agree with @mikew here @Bill16. I know that you had your heart set on a second D700 body. I always go with my first instinct.
When I was thinking of a second body to my D7100, my first instinct was to get the D300 as I really loved it the first time I had it before I sold it to you.
Then I started thinking of FF and what not, but my mind always wondered back to the D300. Now as fate would have it, I'm getting back the original one that I sold to you to begin with.

Bill16

Does anybody recommend the V3 or maybe some other camera that you think would be a good choice for me? So far the D700 is where I'm leaning, but I want to keep an open mind to options you might think are better! Maybe you see or know of something I've missed! :)

Phillydog1958

At the time of the V3's release, the add-on grip & EVF were included with the body in the USA as a 3-piece kit, only. It wasn't being sold separately in the US. The only region that Nikon was selling the V3 as a body-only option was in Asia. I tend to think that's still the case, but there is a chance that they have re-thought their marketing strategy, and are offering just the body. One of Nikon's niche target groups was those who might be willing to upgrade from a point-and-shoot. The way of achieving success with that market is to offer the body only, or just the body and a kit lens. That said, you might now be able to get just the body in the US.

Last edited:

Bill16

If I bought it I'd buy it all getting the view finder and grip too! :)

At the time of the V3's release, the add-on grip & EVF were included with the body in the USA as a 3-piece kit, only. It wasn't being sold separately in the US. The only region that Nikon was selling the V3 as a body-only option was in Asia. I tend to think that's still the case, but there is a chance that they have re-thought their marketing strategy, and are offering just the body. One of Nikon's niche target groups was those who might be willing to upgrade from a point-and-shoot. The chances of achieving success with that market is to offer the body only, or just the body and a kit lens. That said, you might now be able to get just the body in the US.

Bill16

@Phillydog1958 Are you recommending the V3 over the D700 my friend?

At the time of the V3's release, the add-on grip & EVF were included with the body in the USA as a 3-piece kit, only. It wasn't being sold separately in the US. The only region that Nikon was selling the V3 as a body-only option was in Asia. I tend to think that's still the case, but there is a chance that they have re-thought their marketing strategy, and are offering just the body. One of Nikon's niche target groups was those who might be willing to upgrade from a point-and-shoot. The way of achieving success with that market is to offer the body only, or just the body and a kit lens. That said, you might now be able to get just the body in the US.

Phillydog1958

@Phillydog1958 Are you recommending the V3 over the D700 my friend?

No, but I think that you want me to. :D Bill, I say, "If you want it, go for it! You won't be disappointed." You have several great cameras that a V3 would certainly compliment. It should easily fit into your lineup. For me, it's the ideal travel camera. I love the compact design and solid production. It works for me. Ask yourself why you want it. If you can justify the purchase, do it. My entire V3 kit fits in a small camera bag. There are many times when I don't want to lug around my D810, especially when I'm out on vacation or a business trip. On the other hand, some days, I prefer my D810 for those special times, when I really want that special shot. I hope that helps, and don't hesitate to ask me more.

I just thought of something . . . You already have a V1. I'd sell it or gift it out to a loved one, which is what I did with my V2. I can't see a need for both, unless you want to keep it as a part of your collection, and that's OK, too. If it makes you happy, pursue it. The goal is life --which is short -- liberty and the PURSUIT of happiness.

Last edited:

Bill16

No I'm not, but I was expecting hear you voting for it since you have one! Lol :) I'm actually leaning towards the D700, but I don't want to miss out if somebody has something better than the D700 in mind! So I guess you could say that I'm looking while I wait for the money to become available to purchase either the D700 or a camera someone recommends! :)

No, but I think that you want me to. :D Bill, I say, "If you want it, go for it! You won't be disappointed." You have several great cameras that a V3 would certainly compliment. It should easily fit into your lineup. For me, it's the ideal travel camera. I love the compact design and solid production. It works for me. Ask yourself why you want it. If you can justify the purchase, do it. My entire V3 kit fits in a small camera bag. There are many times when I don't want to lug around my D810, especially when I'm out on vacation or a business trip. On the other hand, some days, I prefer my D810 for those special times, when I really want that special shot. I hope that helps, and don't hesitate to ask me more.

I just thought of something . . . You already have a V1. I'd sell it or gift it out to a loved one, which is what I did with my V2. I can't see a need for both, unless you want to keep it as a part of your collection, and that's OK, too. If it makes you happy, pursue it. The goal is life --which is short -- liberty and the PURSUIT of happiness.

Phillydog1958

No I'm not, but I was expecting hear you voting for it since you have one! Lol :) I'm actually leaning towards the D700, but I don't want to miss out if somebody has something better than the D700 in mind! So I guess you could say that I'm looking while I wait for the money to become available to purchase either the D700 or a camera someone recommends! :)

No, I'd never repeat what others have already said. I try to offer a different perspective and not regurgitate. What good does that do you? ;)