Nikon D500 Announced

Steve in Oz

But I bought a D7200 two weeks ago!

I've calmed down a bit now and stopped cursing Nikon, having seen one suggestion it will be $2000 for the body only - I don't know if that's US or Australian dollars.

Moreover, it gives me confidence to stick with the DX format and not move up to FX. I can keep my DX lenses and when I'm ready (and got the dollars) buy the D500 body.

mikew_RIP

After a further look the main point for me would be the AF available focus points @ f6.3 that is if it will work with the Tamron 150-600,Nikon quote 37 focus points 25 cross sensor type,cant any longer find the D7200 specs as Nikon have changed the info on there site but from what i remember its a vast improvement over the D7200.

Now Nikon make it so it doesn't work with the Tamron and lose a customer for it.

dmc

You see Alice, if you hope long enough, pray hard enough, all your dreams will come true!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SHAkers718

I wonder how the size compares to the D5500, which ergonomically I love since I'm a petite woman with smallish hands. But even with the touchscreen there are still features of the D7000 which I miss. If this isn't much larger or heavier I just may want one. I would love the cleaner image at higher ISO. Feeling better now about how much money I've invested in DX lenses, feels like I may stick with DX for life since I don't want to lug an FX camera.

Just got an email from B&H Photo. The body alone costs what my 2015 Christmas bonus was (USD). How convenient. Pre-orders being taken. Expected availability March 2016. I do believe this will be my next camera. I wouldn't want it sooner than Lightroom could support it though.

Nikon D500 DSLR Camera (Body Only) 1559 B&H Photo Video

Read more: http://nikonites.com/general-digital-slr-cameras/34729-nikon-d500-announced-5.html#ixzz3wRPTneTb

I just combined two posts into this one and I also went to NikonUSA website and did size comparisons. This is closer in size to a the D610 than anything. I guess that's to be expected but it definitely has curbed my enthusiasm.
Size: 5.8" x 4.6" x 3.2" 26.9 oz. or 760g whereas my D5500 is a mere 4.9" x 3.9" x 2.8" and 14.9 oz/420g

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

Just got an email from B&H Photo. The body alone costs what my 2015 Christmas bonus was (USD). How convenient. Pre-orders being taken. Expected availability March 2016. I do believe this will be my next camera. I wouldn't want it sooner than Lightroom could support it though.

Nikon D500 DSLR Camera (Body Only) 1559 B&H Photo Video

Just under £1400 as a straight conversion but that will not happen so we will be looking at £1700 or close.

Blacktop

This would not stop me from wanting the D750. Please, someone tell me I'm not wrong!

WM

You are not wrong. Unless this thing focuses in the dark and has the clean high ISO that I have come accustomed to, it doesn't tickle my fancy. I don't have this kind of money to throw around on a hobby.
It's one or the other. I'll keep Dolly for now.

Vincent

4.2 is a nice pixel pitch for a DX. Signal quality should be somewhere between the D7200 and D810 at 100 ISO.

The pitch is only a distance, the question is what Nikon put in there. If they say it is D5 technology, then I believe Nikon will succeed with this.

J-see

The pitch is only a distance, the question is what Nikon put in there. If they say it is D5 technology, then I believe Nikon will succeed with this.

They're at their max with current sensor technology and the sensor performance itself won't differ very much from the previous versions. At the level of light gathering and signal quality. But since they're larger pixels, they'll provide a better signal. A the expense of some sharpness of course.

There's no free lunch in photography. ;)

Ironwood

Exciting times ahead :)
I just hope the price in Australia is not prohibitive.
On the first article I read, it said there was a built in/pop up flash, but the later ones indicate there is only a hot shoe. I use the pop up flash for 90% of my macro work on my D7100. So this would mean using a more cumbersome setup for chasing insects around.

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

Exciting times ahead :)
I just hope the price in Australia is not prohibitive.
On the first article I read, it said there was a buit in/pop up flash, but the later ones indicate there is only a hot shoe. I use the pop up flash for 90% of my macro work on my D7100. So this would mean using a more cumbersome setup for chasing insects around.

Probably no pop up to help with weather sealing and avoid the rattle :D

Ironwood

Probably no pop up to help with weather sealing and avoid the rattle :D

I would have expected this camera to not have a built in flash, in line with the other pro-bodies, but when I read in that first link that there was one I was pleased, because it would benefit me. Its not as if its a deal breaker though, I still want one :D.
No U1 & U2 either, I have come to really appreciate having them on my D7100.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
But what are the advantages of its 20.9 mp sensor in comparison to the 24.2 mp sensor of the D7200? I'm technologically challenged when it comes to this kind of stuff! ;)

Steve in Oz

Once you're up in this level of megapixels, 24.2 gives you no real advantage over 20.9. Technically it's higher resolution, but in the real world (with its limitations on screen size and printing technology) the difference would not be noticeable. Even the D4, up until now Nikon's top pro DSLR, is 'only' a 16 megapixel camera.

Horoscope Fish

But what are the advantages of its 20.9 mp sensor in comparison to the 24.2 mp sensor of the D7200? I'm technologically challenged when it comes to this kind of stuff! ;)
Fewer pixels on the same surface area translates to slightly larger individual pixels which, without getting into the technicalities, is a good thing.