Nikon 500mm f8 Mirror Reflex Lens + others

I have a Rikonon 500 with the 2x tc. I read all the reviews I could and knew it was going to try me. I still bought it. It does take a bit of work but once in a while I accidentally get a good shot or two. I keep telling myself I need to practice more. It's just not one of those things you can do onthe spur of the moment. If so, now would be good, the moon is just rising above a cloud bank.

Dave

Photowyzard

Tami Jo, you are LIGHT YEARS AHEAD with the decision to buy a 55-300 VR II!!! Congratulations and good for you! Great choice.

I would get to know this lens first, enjoy it and when you are comfortable, look at other options. I would also get a Tripod when you are ready. Tripods are a must, I use mine all the time and it does make a difference in picture sharpness.

The 500mm reflex lens, in my opinion, is a whimsical purchase because you have the money and want to have some fun with a very difficult lens. You can buy a non Nikon lens for around $110-$160. Try to pay as little as possible on these if you can. Here are some links for future reference:

Nikon 500mm Search Results | Overstock.com

Opteka 500mm f/8 High Definition Telephoto Mirror Lens for Digital SLR Cameras <-------- $110! Check this one out. Overstock is overpriced!

Tamron 500mm f8 mirror lens : Buy or Learn at Adorama

Tamron is worth a look as well. If you don't mind using Craig's List, wait for a used one to come your way. I wouldn't pay a premium for these by any stretch of the imagination.

These lenses are not for action shots or sports. Birding and static objects work best with the Mirror reflex. Before I would even do this, I would also buy the Nikon 1.4 EII TC. It will turn your 55-300 into a 77-420mm f6-f9 approx. Check first to see if it is compatible with your lens. Call Nikon customer service directly, they are your best friend for advise on compatibility. The f stops may be an issue with this config.

I use my 1.4 on my 300mm f4 almost exclusively. The optical quality is superb and it gives me a little more reach making my 300 a 420mm f5.6. This is respectable enough. On a zoom you will have a bit more of a challenge with light and minimum f stops.

bikevet

Well we have tons of possums in Indiana but few people trying to use a 500mm F8 reflex with their D90:)
I just purchased the lens and would like some tips on the settings for my D90. It mounts easily even though some threads indicated it being non-AI would not work. I was assuming that I just shoot in manual mode and use shutter speed and ISO to control my exposure but any help would be appreciated. I will be shooting wildlife and realize that I will need sunny days and non-mobile or dead wildlife. btw your pictures are beautiful Thanks

STM

I had an older style 500mm f/8 Reflex Nikkor C and found it to be an outstanding performer! Being a mirror lens there is no spherical abberation and no color fringing, something that can be a real proglem with lenses that long which don't have ED glass. I loved how buttery smooth and easy the focusing was. I got rid of it when I got my 600mm f/4 ED-IF. A decision I often lament when I am dragging that 12 pound goliath of a lens around in addtion to my other camera gear and at least a monopod. The one problem with reflex lenses they are a little fragile. If they have been bumped around, the elements can be more prone to getting out of alignment than conventional lenses, lessing their sharpness. I took this photo of a snowy egret several years ago, hand held on a F4S and High Speed Ektachrome. I may have even been using a TC-14B with it too, I can't remember. The little bit of natural falloff of reflex lenses makes for a nice vignette effect.

egret.jpg

Last edited:

STM

Well we have tons of possums in Indiana but few people trying to use a 500mm F8 reflex with their D90:)
I just purchased the lens and would like some tips on the settings for my D90. It mounts easily even though some threads indicated it being non-AI would not work. I was assuming that I just shoot in manual mode and use shutter speed and ISO to control my exposure but any help would be appreciated. I will be shooting wildlife and realize that I will need sunny days and non-mobile or dead wildlife. btw your pictures are beautiful Thanks

It will take great photos but you won't be able to meter with it as it has no way to communicate with your camera. A handheld meter or another camera can be used to get the exposure. If you use another camera to meter, set it on aperture priority and f/8 and see what shutter speed you need to use.

I have to take exception to the fact that this is a "whimsical" and "difficult" lens. I found it to be neither, in fact I loved it. It was extremely compact and light for a lens of that focal length. Its very narrow depth of field made it a snap to focus on the focusing screen ground glass. If there was a specular highlight on the subject, all the better. If you have a camera which has aperture priority, it is a piece of cake to use. Since the shutter speeds on the F2 are continuously variable from 1/250 to 1/2000, it was even easier. If the doughnuts bother you, then you just try to change the camera viewpoint to where they are less noticeable or remove them in post processing. Piece of cake. In some images, I found the doughnuts to be quite pleasing. And back before the days of autofocus and auto everything, they were used quite often by SI photographers for sports. That was back when photographers did not rely on the camera to do all the work and thinking for them. Walter Iooss of SI fame, one of the finest sports photographers of all time, used one a lot when he shot NFL games. I would say that is a mighty strong endorsement of the lens.

Last edited:

Pierro

You might have been lucky, I dont know, but the Nikonians chart warns that any Nikon DSLR with a D in the model number is a no no with pre/non Ai

Nikon SLR Camera and Lens Compatibility

Photowyzard

I have had this lens, Nikon 500mm f8 reflex for some time. Trust me, make no mistake, this is a difficult lens. There are a number of key issues to consider:

1) yes, it is a fully manual lens
- so what
- you need a little patience to set up a shot
- I have a D800, works fine on it
- I had a D90, worked fine on that camera too

2) your images will not be crisp, sharp images, it is not like a nice prime lens with superior glass
- if you are a pixel peeper, this lens is NOT for you
- it will, however, take excellent pictures, especially if you only print 4x6 pictures

3) You need to set up your captures carefully, any reflective light will show up as weird donut rings in the bokeh
- some people find this really distasteful
- a few here and there are no big deal, lots of them can kill your image

4) you have to use it on really sunny days, when there is lots of light available
- this is good and bad
- bad, because of reflective light and the donuts
- good, because you a see better to focus, and you get a much better image

5) The depth of field on these lens is THIN!!!! Really thin.
- so, your margin of error for focusing is less forgiving

I use a D800 and it has a nice range guide for focusing manually. Essentially, two arrows and a dot

> • <

That helps me focus. If I have to focus more to the right, the left arrow points me that way. If I nail the focus, the Green dot shows up and I can safely shot the image for the best exposure.

I would use HI ISO and really fast shutter speeds to reduce any chance what so ever of getting a blurry picture from motion. Then, your only challenge left is a good focus.

Like many of you, I frequent many forums for Nikon and photography in general. The main forum I frequent all the time is PLANETNIKON.

Nikon Digital Camera Information and Self-Training | PlanetNikon.com

A free forum to join, just like Nikonites. Great people there. You have to join to see the member posted images. I have a 500mm Reflex folder set up there that documents my steps and thinking from the time I thought of purchasing, to experiments with the lens and various images posted.

Check it out:

500mm Mirror Reflex Lens - PlanetNikon Forum - Page 2.3333333333333

I also posted images in the ASTRO folder because I took moon shots with a 2x TC on the lens:

1000mm MOON SHOT - PlanetNikon Forum

Lots of samples, errors and good images there.

When you JOIN, you have to ask DARREL twice! So, send a request and then immediately, send an email again. You can reference ME... say you know ART, from the forum and he will VALIDATE your membership much sooner. (why twice? SPAMBOTS don't ask twice. To avoid the spammers, he figures a human who really wants to join will make a request and then follow up)

If you have an issue, send me an email or PM and I will address it. Darrel publishes HOW TO MASTER YOUR Dxx books and is very busy. Sometimes, he VALIDATES quickly and other times, he needs a nudge. I will get on him if you have to wait more than a few days.

I also have a Nikon 400mm f3.5 Ai-S. Another Manual lens. Killer optics, zero issues with focusing. Don't be afraid to buy a manual lens, they are amazing. Just tough to do things like sports, or bird in flight shots etc. Tough, not IMPOSSIBLE.

I have posted quite a few pictures here taken with my 400mm lens. See my D800 folder here on Nikonites.

http://nikonites.com/d800/8996-my-favourite-d800-images-6.html#post114221

The picture below was taken with my D90. This will give you an idea of a good image, pushed a little in PP with NX2.

Chippy-D90.jpg

Last edited:

Photoman62

I have had a Nikon Mirror Reflex lens for a couple of years or less. I won some money in Las Vegas and picked one up with the winnings.

I am still trying to figure it out. I believe this lens has excellent potential and is great value for the money but it is nothing compare to a standard, prime lens in terms of image quality.

However, if you only print 4x6, this is something you should consider as an option. I will review my findings for those who don't have one or know what this is.

These lenses use a mirror instead of glass to project an image to your camera sensor. It works the same as a telescope. With a lens, you get a very narrow depth of field and they are hard to focus on some cameras.

The advantage to these lenses are they are light, very inexpensive and you can get them in 500mm to 800mm for under $200!

The do have a funky, donut shaped bokeh on reflected light that seems to bother some.

When I had my D90, I got some mixed results with my Nikon. With my D800, I am newly inspired to give this lens another go or buy a 3rd party brand that offers 800mm versions.

Here are some sample photos taken with my Nikon 500mm f8 C Mirror Reflex lens. Feel free to add your images and any images from 3rd party lenses. I would be most interested in seeing your photos and hearing what you think.

Images taken with a D800:

View attachment 15435

View attachment 15436

Images taken with a D90

View attachment 15437

View attachment 15438
I think you did a great job with the images you posted. I purchased the 500 f8 n which has a close focus of less than 5 feet which will give you a macro image. I also use Nikons tele adapter with a 1.6 increase and will convert the 500 to 800mm with very little distortion or image degradation.
Ron Baker