Nikon 200-500/5.6 VR Lens....... post your photos!

Blacktop

My apologies, I forget sometimes that this is a rah rah website and everything is wonderful if it's black and gold. :)

Actually it's not. You just obviously don't know how to judge a photograph. Those kind of shots will never be as sharp as a flower taken at close with a tripod. You have to know what you're looking at before you make a judgement, is all I'm saying.

Krs_2007

Funny, the cattiness is still around. Oh well I guess.

Ted, shots look great for the first round and will only get better. I am interested in this lens so will continue to follow.

For me, if you don't have first hand experience then shut up, bottom line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mikew_RIP

I read a couple of comments and thought i never noticed that about the images so i had another look,then it hit me i was viewing the images for what they are,like all images there is a combination of factors that are involved in the final image and they all need taking into consideration.you could argue that no factor should be allowed to take us away from the quality of a studio macro taken on a D810 using a Nikon 105mm macro but you could also argue the Moon is made of green cheese,
Great start Ted,i dont want the images to get any better or it could prove expensive for me:D

As for this being a Nikon support site some people need to read the posts on here and understand when nikon get it wrong we shout about it.

My apologies, I forget sometimes that this is a rah rah website and everything is wonderful if it's black and gold. :)

Yes we are a Nikon website and we celebrate that fact. If Nikon screws up we crucify them. So what camera and long zoom do you have and shoot that makes you an expert on this topic. There have been some experienced shooters weighing in on the subject so you probably should listen more and post less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PapaST

@singlerosa, You mentioned you used a 1.5 tele. Which one were you using with this lens? Sorry if you've posted that info already.

With the 1.5 do you notice a big difference in the balance/weight of the lens? Do you lose 1 stop of light?

Last edited:

cbay

Maybe it's just me, or maybe I expect too much, but none of those shots are sharp. Based on the images in this thread it looks like a lens to avoid.
It's really hard to judge sharpness from this site. Now i don't have any experience with this lens, but my Tamron is very sharp, yet i have yet to find a way to make them look sharp on this site without looking bad. Maybe go to flickr and get a better sample to judge from.

Michael J.

I love the shots in the way they are captured. I sometimes do criticism, but only if I can do better. In this particular case I think that the shots are great, amazing and make me feel I am there. And those shots are inspiring using my 55-300 in an other way I used it. I know it is not a 200-500 but it needs also a bit of a skill to handle it. And as far as I can see, Ted got lots of skill using this 200-500 perfectly.

singlerosa_RIP

@singlerosa, You mentioned you used a 1.5 tele. Which one were you using with this lens? Sorry if you've posted that info already.

With the 1.5 do you notice a big difference in the balance/weight of the lens? Do you lose 1 stop of light?

I was referring to my recently acquired D7200 as a 1.5 teleconverter. I mentioned in a previous post that shooting the lens on my 750 didn't give me enough reach and using it on my D7000 didn't give the same IQ as a cropped shot from the 750. My solution was to sell the D7K and buy a 7200. No loss of light, no added weight (in fact, loss of weight to my wallet vs a 1.4) and better IQ than a cropped shot on the 750.

Last edited:

Ad B

Hi,

a few months back, I was at a promotion day organised by Nikon and a local photo shop in a zoo.
I could try several lenses, among them the 200-500.
The nice thing was, I could compare the 200-500 with my Sigma 150-600 C lens.
1 150-600 lens by Ad v.d. Biggelaar, on Flickr
Taken at 600 mm; F6.3; 1/320e
2 200-500 mm lens by Ad v.d. Biggelaar, on Flickr
Taken at 500 mm; F5.6; 1/500e
3 200-500 mm lens + 1.4 extender by Ad v.d. Biggelaar, on Flickr
Taken with 1.4x extender attached to the 200-500 lens, so at 700 mm; F8; 1/800e
4 150-600 lens by Ad v.d. Biggelaar, on Flickr
Taken at 600 mm; F6.3; 1/100e
5 200-500 lens by Ad v.d. Biggelaar, on Flickr
Taken at 500 mm; F8; 1/500e
6 150-600 C lens by Ad v.d. Biggelaar, on Flickr
Taken at 550 m; F6.3; 1/500e
7 200-500 lens by Ad v.d. Biggelaar, on Flickr
Taken at 480 mm; F8; 1/500e

The Nikon lens was a nice lens to play with, but for me no reason to change from my Sigma to the Nikon.
I'm still happy with my Sigma 150-60 Contemporary.
But still, a very good afternoon. Very nice to feel the quality of the Nikon lens and compare it to my own lens.
Not to forget to mention, AF was still very good with my Kenko 1.4 extender attached at the Nikon lens.
Which isn't working if attached at my Sigma at 600 mm.

Ad B

mikew_RIP

Nice comparisons,most of the time with external factors involved i doubt there will be much in it with any of the big zooms,ideal conditions in a lab may be different but i don't know about you i cant remember the last time i took test images in a lab:D

Bill16

Lol :p

I'm actually planning to handhold that lens shooting BIF. I would love to put in on a nice 1,200 dollar tripod with a 400 dollar Gimbal head, but then I would be broke and would have no funds for emergencies, like a broken water heater or sumpin like that.

Bill16

@Blacktop usually gives me a mention to see that I find them easily! Lol But I guess he's been a little off since he heard I was going to buy the 14-24mm Nikkor, while he is frustrated about not having a FX version of his trusty 11-16mm for his D750! Lol ;)

Been waiting for you to find this one from Pete

mikew_RIP

@Blacktop usually gives me a mention to see that I find them easily! Lol But I guess he's been a little off since he heard I was going to buy the 14-24mm Nikkor, while he is frustrated about not having a FX version of his trusty 11-16mm for his D750! Lol ;)

If you really want to screw with his mind buy the 200-500 :D

Blacktop

I would love to stay and chat, ( @mikew @Bill16) but I'm drawing myself a hot bubble bath as we speak. a1a7eb41dcdd39a97c0f553102888859.jpg

hrstrat57

This is the first super zoom that actually has me tempted......

Might be a good lens for surf photography if it can keep up with the action.

Been trying to find a way to fund a 600 F 4 but I'd like to keep my house and cars too....