Nikkor AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR ED D lens

Bill16

Thanks buddy! Yes I sorta figured that, but I don't want to bothering using extension tubes anymore. I'll just use my 105mm micro for my macro needs. It works very well without any hassle. I just tried the 80-400mm for the heck of it out of curiosity. :)

The closest focus distance is about 6ft for your lens! But it will focus closer if you put a macro tube on and hand hold to see how close it will focus. Then put on your tripod once you know the range.

Bill16

Here is some shots I took today outside my house! :D

dsc_786401.jpg

dsc_784901.jpg

dsc_785201.jpg

dsc_785301.jpg

dsc_7869.jpg

Bill16

It seems that processing raw shots, that I can seem to always tell if I'm over doing the sharpness. I,m ruining the photos about half the time it seems.Sigh..................................

wornish

It shows up for me. But all three shots are at 400iso,400 shutter speed, f/7.1and 340mm on my D300 using my 80-400mm lens! :) Hand held was the reason for the high settings. I tend to shake. :(

Now I have returned to this thread it shows up for me as well! Very strange. Sorry about the false alarm.
Great shots though.

maddog

I have heard that this lens is slow focusing. I am a hobbyist looking to shoot mostly wildlife. How is the focusing speed on this lens?

Bill16

It's a bit slow, but I haven't had much chance to try shooting wildlife with it yet! Birds in flight might be needing a faster lens! I,'m hoping to try shooting squirrels with it this year!
It's a great lens other than it is not a real fast lens! :)

I have heard that this lens is slow focusing. I am a hobbyist looking to shoot mostly wildlife. How is the focusing speed on this lens?

mikew_RIP

I used one for a few weeks,it is a bit slow especially at the long end,the main time it was a problem was BIF and i did find the copy i was using was a bit soft at the long end.