Nikkor AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR ED D lens

Bill16

This is an awesome lens! They just came out with a faster version, and D lenses tend to be reasonable used thank goodness! Here is today's test shots! But if you want to see what this lens can do then checkout the wildlife shots that Scott did! Earlier in this thread Scott stated he used this same lens for most of his wildlife shots!:D

dsc_780901.jpg

dsc_781001.jpg

dsc_780001.jpg

Elliot87

Yep I was looking at the non AF-S lens on MPB. I'm assuming the one you've got Bill won't auto focus on the D3*** & D5*** cameras? Oh well, looks like anything longer than my 70-300 will have to wait a fair while yet....

Bill16

Sorry, but your right that the one I have won't auto focus on the D3xxx nor the D5xxx nikon models. You need a nikon with a built in AF motor to AF with the Nikkor D lenses.

Yep I was looking at the non AF-S lens on MPB. I'm assuming the one you've got Bill won't auto focus on the D3*** & D5*** cameras? Oh well, looks like anything longer than my 70-300 will have to wait a fair while yet....

Elliot87

In a way, although I love my D3200 and its a great beginners camera that's more capable than I am, I wished I'd saved and spent a bit more on a D7100. I'm not interested in having the latest version of everything, what I really want is good quality glass that's affordable. Being tied down to the latest AF-S lenses and the added price means the D3200 seems like a bit of a false economy. I'm sure the D7100 with the older 80-400 would exceed or at least match what a D3200 with the newer version is capable of and for less money. Oh well, hind sight is a wonderful thing....

Bill16

I tend to agree with you. I had both a D3100 and a D5100 and wasn't really satisfied for the reason you just mentioned and I wanted a more pro type body without the menu driven settings.
Nikkor D lenses seem to be cheaper than the AF-S lenses and are still very good quality. Frankly I like them better personally.
So in my opinion I think your right, and though you save on the body getting some pretty good tech, you seem to lose on the lens costs if you want AF instead of manual focus.

I'm pretty sure you could use the model lens I have, but you'd have to focus manually until you upgraded your Nikon to a model that has the AF motor built in.

In a way, although I love my D3200 and its a great beginners camera that's more capable than I am, I wished I'd saved and spent a bit more on a D7100. I'm not interested in having the latest version of everything, what I really want is good quality glass that's affordable. Being tied down to the latest AF-S lenses and the added price means the D3200 seems like a bit of a false economy. I'm sure the D7100 with the older 80-400 would exceed or at least match what a D3200 with the newer version is capable of and for less money. Oh well, hind sight is a wonderful thing....

Elliot87

I tend to agree with you. I had both a D3100 and a D5100 and wasn't really satisfied for the reason you just mentioned and I wanted a more pro type body without the menu driven settings.
Nikkor D lenses seem to be cheaper than the AF-S lenses and are still very good quality. Frankly I like them better personally.
So in my opinion I think your right, and though you save on the body getting some pretty good tech, you seem to lose on the lens costs if you want AF instead of manual focus.

I'm pretty sure you could use the model lens I have, but you'd have to focus manually until you upgraded your Nikon to a model that has the AF motor built in.

Manual focusing is an option I suppose but it's not something I've tried yet and I'd be worried it would just lead to frustration. I'm getting to grips with exposure and composition but adding in something else to think about might cause me problems. I intend to stick with DX bodies as I like the extra reach they offer for wildlife. I'm sure when I do upgrade, my D3200 will be greatly appreciated by my wife and I'll be a much better photographer thanks to being challenged more.

Anyway, apologies for high jacking your thread and congrats on the lens!

stmv

Think I might be able to answer my own question, looks like I was looking at the older version on MPB and the newer one on Amazon.

the three pictures I took were with the older one,, I picked mine up for 650 dollars which I consider a total bargain, save the extra money for some other
lens like say a nice macro, or wide angle.

Bill16

Hey no problem, I appreciate the interest! And thank you, I'm thrilled with my new lens! :D

Manual focusing is an option I suppose but it's not something I've tried yet and I'd be worried it would just lead to frustration. I'm getting to grips with exposure and composition but adding in something else to think about might cause me problems. I intend to stick with DX bodies as I like the extra reach they offer for wildlife. I'm sure when I do upgrade, my D3200 will be greatly appreciated by my wife and I'll be a much better photographer thanks to being challenged more.

Anyway, apologies for high jacking your thread and congrats on the lens!

Bill16

OK, since it was raining today I decided to shoot a few indoor shots just for the fun of it! They are all hand held too for practice!lol:D

dsc_7821.jpg

dsc_7816.jpg

dsc_7823.jpg

dsc_7814.jpg

Bill16

I really really over did the sharpness on the tripod, so I did a quick re-do! lol :D

After seeing it in this post, maybe it's the texture of the tripod that makes it seem over sharp. Oh well it was just for fun anyway!lol:p

dsc_7816-1.jpg

Last edited:

Bill16

I thought I'd post a couple shots of this wonderful camera, lens and tripod combo! It's sooooo awesome in my opinion, and very sexy! :D
The photo were taken with my Nikon 1 V1 with the 30-110mm lens! I'm having such a blast! I wish I would have got into photography decades ago! Lol :D

1407718880111.jpg

1407718452014.jpg

Michael J.

I like #1 cos the left side of the house isn't cut and the tree on the right side in front is also nice to see. I like the not so tidy overall view of that photo.

Bill16

I agree with you guys! :) But I think it's good to get other photographer's feed back, so I'm not missing something! :)
Thank you both very much! :D

Bill16

Well I just spent some time trying to use this lens to get a shot of my latest spider subject, but it was either way too tiny or this lens has to be just too far away to get macro shots. Maybe with a extension tube it might work, but I'm not interested in going back to using extension tubes and focus rails. Lol :)

But since I have my d300 all set up on the tripod, I may take it outside for a few shots of whatever, just for the fun of it! Lol :D

Man I love my tripod setup! Thank you again Glenn buddy for the tripod legs! :) I am thinking about trying to find a short center column so it will get lower, but it's been working awesome other than that! :D

wornish

The closest focus distance is about 6ft for your lens! But it will focus closer if you put a macro tube on and hand hold to see how close it will focus. Then put on your tripod once you know the range.