Nik Tools - Control Points

Danno

Well, I watched the video... and a couple others... I bought it last night... I have been playing with it this afternoon and I am very pleased. I included it with Lightroom. I do not have Photoshop. Given what I like to do, I am very happy with this collection. I have just been fiddling with it this afternoon and I am amazed at how easy it is to pick up...

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Well, I watched the video... and a couple others... I bought it last night... I have been playing with it this afternoon and I am very pleased. I included it with Lightroom. I do not have Photoshop. Given what I like to do, I am very happy with this collection. I have just been fiddling with it this afternoon and I am amazed at how easy it is to pick up...

I'm glad you like it too! I re-bought it now that I discovered what all it can do, and am still tinkering with it and watching the videos. Enjoy!

Lawrence

Just got back from a 2 night trip and decided to get into the free trial but .....

Can someone confirm that with the free trial the options on the control points are limited? I only seem to have one slider bar.

Blacktop

Just got back from a 2 night trip and decided to get into the free trial but .....

Can someone confirm that with the free trial the options on the control points are limited? I only seem to have one slider bar.

It depends on which module you're in. In Viveza the control points have a bunch of sliders. In Color FX pro the control points just have the opacity sliders. I have the paid full version.

Lawrence

Thanks Pete @Blacktop that explains it.
For your info I concentrated on trying to take your style landscapes.
The teacher's report is in and I failed miserably.

Last edited:

Blacktop

Thanks Pet @Blacktop that explains it.
For your info I concentrated on trying to take your style landscapes.
The teacher's report is in and I failed miserably.

Its ok, I failed miserably as well today. Posted it on my 365. Sometimes I need to take my own advice and back off a little on the PP.

Carroll

Evidently, Google updates the Nik Collection automatically. Forever?

Like many of you, I have had the Nik Collection for some time. (I downloaded it when Google acquired Nik, and gave you the entire collection if you had purchased one of the tools.)

Since this thread opened, I have been checking Nik out for this and that, and wondered what version I had, and since I got it mostly free, wondered if I had the current software.

I have Revo Uninstaller Pro, and it lists software programs that are a recent download, and just a while ago, in starting Revo, I noticed that the Nik Collection icon was in the "New Download" list, and was listed as being installed 2-1-2015, with version 1.2.8.

I then went to the Nik Collection website https://www.google.com/nikcollection/# and checked out the information in the "Help Center". I did not realize that Google updates Nik automatically, probably old news to many, but new to me.

Probably the Google Drone passing overhead by-passed my firewall, anti-virus, aluminum foil, etc.

And here I thought I was in charge. :mask:

wornish

Evidently, Google updates the Nik Collection automatically. Forever?

Like many of you, I have had the Nik Collection for some time. (I downloaded it when Google acquired Nik, and gave you the entire collection if you had purchased one of the tools.)

Since this thread opened, I have been checking Nik out for this and that, and wondered what version I had, and since I got it mostly free, wondered if I had the current software.

I have Revo Uninstaller Pro, and it lists software programs that are a recent download, and just a while ago, in starting Revo, I noticed that the Nik Collection icon was in the "New Download" list, and was listed as being installed 2-1-2015, with version 1.2.8.

I then went to the Nik Collection website https://www.google.com/nikcollection/# and checked out the information in the "Help Center". I did not realize that Google updates Nik automatically, probably old news to many, but new to me.

Probably the Google Drone passing overhead by-passed my firewall, anti-virus, aluminum foil, etc.

And here I thought I was in charge. :mask:

All Google software updates automatically and checks at least once per day.

It does it without telling you and you can't easily stop it.

Google also tracks other things you do so if your happy with that fine.

But buyer beware, they do claim to do no evil so that's ok then!

sonicbuffalo_RIP

If I pull the trigger on this should I include it in LightRoom or Photoshop?

Since I know how to utilize Lightroom so much better (but still learning), I included it into that. I'm pretty sure you should be able to use it on either at the same time. At least I would think so. I'm not sure how that would work, but it seems plausable.

Lawrence

Since I know how to utilize Lightroom so much better (but still learning), I included it into that. I'm pretty sure you should be able to use it on either at the same time. At least I would think so. I'm not sure how that would work, but it seems plausable.

Chris I think you have to choose one or the other - seems that way with the free trial and i am assuming it is the same once bought.

Horoscope Fish

Chris I think you have to choose one or the other - seems that way with the free trial and i am assuming it is the same once bought.
There's a dialog box that pops up during the install asking which application you to use NIK Tools with. It will list Lightroom, Photoshop and Bridge (if you have it installed (and you should, it's awesome)).

If you want to install NIK to multiple applications you follow the instructions about clicking on the little "+" sign and navigate to the "Plugins" folder for that particular application.

Easy-peasy.

Vixen

There's a dialog box that pops up during the install asking which application you to use NIK Tools with. It will list Lightroom, Photoshop and Bridge (if you have it installed (and you should, it's awesome)).

If you want to install NIK to multiple applications you follow the instructions about clicking on the little "+" sign and navigate to the "Plugins" folder for that particular application.

Easy-peasy.

Totally agree on this point. Since I started using it some years ago I can't imagine life without it :D

Carroll

All Google software updates automatically and checks at least once per day.

It does it without telling you and you can't easily stop it.

Google also tracks other things you do so if your happy with that fine.

But buyer beware, they do claim to do no evil so that's ok then!
@wornish Dave, that is why I was surprised Google updated Nik Tools...my Dog deleted everything Google from my Computer one day when I was gone, and I did not have anything to do with that, and will testify to that in court. So will Dog. He evidently did not really know what he was doing, like he probably thought. One too many Doggie Treats, I suppose.

Not that I would want to stop Google from Googling my 'puter to update Nik, not in a million years...I wonder what I could tell the Dog if he asks how to go about it?

This is, of course, simply an imaginary play on words, and has nothing to do with any real world actions on the part of this or any other poster in this thread, concerning deleting any important update service sponsored by We-Can't-Say-Their-Name. ©The Aluminum Foil Group

Horoscope Fish

Not that I would want to stop Google from Googling my 'puter to update Nik, not in a million years... I wonder what I could tell the Dog if he asks how to go about it?
I would tell Dog about Google Update Uninstaller and see where the conversation went from there. Not that the conversation would ever happen in the first place.

On a side note, since Dog seems to like a lean machine, he might also be interested to know that the update folder contains previous installs of NIK Tools (at around 300-400MB each) which are worthless and just sit there taking up valuable hard drive "real estate". They can be deleted without consequence. The folder, assuming a Windows install, should be at or near: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\Downloads.

Last edited:

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Here's a chance to review a thread about Nik Tools. Nothing updated, just a reminder to those who are considering what to get your Mom for Mother's Day! lol Oz