Nidding's 366 - 2016

nidding

I post a lot of family photos at the moment. But that's what's occupying my mind right now.

"Fastelavnsfest" at Dagmar's day care. We dressed her as a monkey, but she wanted to be a "girl monkey". Hence the dress and hair band.
Day 39 (Feb 8)
DSC_5817 by jonas_sandager, on Flickr

nidding

Maybe not the most interesting picture. But this is a macro of a piece of bees wax I use for sewing leather. The markings are from a sewing awl which I stick into the wax before punching holes with it. I thought it might be an interesting picture, but, yeah, maybe it was better in my mind ;)
Day 41 (feb 10)
Voksmakro by jonas_sandager, on Flickr

nidding

Spring time is just around the corner. Or so I hope ;)
Day 42 (feb 11)
DSC_5890-Edit by jonas_sandager, on Flickr

I went out in a field with a hope to find some early bugs to shoot macros off. Very optimistic, I know. Out of the corner of my eye, I think I saw a hunting spider, of some type, but that was just about it. I did however spot this weird old metal pipe, going through a wooden log.
DSC_5911 by jonas_sandager, on Flickr

nidding

Have made some experiments lately with hand waxing my stitching chord and also using boar's bristles instead of needles, as was done in medieval times. I haven't gotten the bristle technique working yet. But I think I have a usable recipe for wax now.

Day 43 (feb 12)
Traadforsoeg by jonas_sandager, on Flickr

Danno

Have made some experiments lately with hand waxing my stitching chord and also using boar's bristles instead of needles, as was done in medieval times. I haven't gotten the bristle technique working yet. But I think I have a usable recipe for wax now.

Day 43 (feb 12)
Traadforsoeg by jonas_sandager, on Flickr
Is all your leather work hand sewed Jonas?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

mikew_RIP

I was having connection problems but wanted to say how much i liked this one.

24959944795_b5391c375a_o.jpg

nidding

Is all your leather work hand sewed Jonas?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Yes. I try to recreate medieval techniques in my work, so I can show the craft to audiences at medieval faires and museums. It's pretty nerdy, but very much fun.

Danno

Yes. I try to recreate medieval techniques in my work, so I can show the craft to audiences at medieval faires and museums. It's pretty nerdy, but very much fun.

No that is very cool. I have a friend that is into the fairs. He does medieval metal work... chain mall and the like. Hand hammered breast plates and things of that nature. I bet those are some cool pieces.

Dawg Pics

No that is very cool. I have a friend that is into the fairs. He does medieval metal work... chain mall and the like. Hand hammered breast plates and things of that nature. I bet those are some cool pieces.
I have a couple friends making chainmail. Too tedious for me to pursue.

nidding

I have a couple friends making chainmail. Too tedious for me to pursue.
Oh, no that part of it is way less nerdy - in a way, at least. The nerdy part for me, is the academic approach, trying the best I can to recreate the techniques and approaches of the period.
I've never had the patience to do any armour either, though most of the guys from my groups have made a lot of stuff themselves. Up until recently, I've kept to fighting. But now, getting older and starting to have kids, we find that our style might a bit too hard on our bodies, so we have started looking for alternative things to show the audience. Things that gives a lot fewer bruises ;)

Here is a vid, a couple of years old, of me and two others making a show at the biggest heavy metal festival in Denmark (we do that kind of stuff as well)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq09xo1mkRs
I'm the slender guy with the helmet with the cone shaped visor :)

Danno

Very cool video. Some cool armor. I enjoy that stuff. They have a big fair not far from us every summer. Over the year I was so busy doing the biker thing I have not been able to go. Going to have to make a point of it this summer. Thanks for sharing.