new to the d800

caveman

Just got the D800 today my move from the D7000/D300S will keep the D300s.
just takeing some in the house tonight with the 24-70 I really like this ...

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
just taking some in the house tonight with the 24-70 I really like this ...

I negotiated a deal for a used D800 yesterday. It should be here when I get back from a business trip next Friday. Which 24-70 did you get? I'm leaning towards the Tamron.

I love to shoot UW so I also picked up a Rokinon 14mm/f2.8 on sale for US$275.

Geoffc

just takeing some in the house tonight with the 24-70 I really like this ...

When I got the D800 I kept my D300s for a year as my backup camera. My wife and I love the D300 cameras. After a year I hadn't found a situation where I thought I'll leave the 800 at home today because the 300 will be better for this. Even in DX mode the 800 has more resolution.

My wife also upgraded from the 300 to 7100 about 6 months ago. Same thing, the 300 stayed on the shelf.

A few weeks ago we sold both 300 bodies. She put the money to a 70-200 vrii and I put mine to another 7100 that is backup for her and wildlife for me. The thing is I will pick up the 7100 over the 800 for some activities as it's a better tool for the job. The truth is it seemed a big shame for a great camera like the 300 to sit in a shelf gathering dust when somebody else will likely cherish it.

caveman

Thanks guys look farward to useing the D800

Eduard, I all ready had the 24-70 nikon,it has been on my D300s for over a year.Been looking at going FF for some time so i started buying FF glass for this day.

Will let my neice have the D7000 with 35 1.8 .But for now i am keeping the D300s. I just love it.

GameOfMoans

It is a truly brilliant camera....I've had a Canon 350D, 20D, 5D, 1DMK4 and now a D800E........without exageration, the Nikon is the best camera I've used...staggering resolving power....it just get's every single detail in the frame....you can run, but you can't hide from the D800 !

Roger3006

My progression from film has been a D70, D90, D300, D7100 and then the D800. The D70 and D90 overlapped with film. I started using the first two for scientific stuff I had to email and for a few quick product shots. To long to explain.I really like to shoot with my D300. For the most part I would rather shoot with it than the D7100. It has more of a pro feel. The D7100 has a better autofocus and for sure higher resolution. I wish I could have gotten a DX with the D300 controls with a D7100 sensor and autofocus. That won't happen so I bought a D800 which I love. Not sure which DX I will keep for a backup. Probably both. My next body will be a D4. I feel the D4 will be great for wildlife which is my fun stuff. I will use the D800 in my studio photographing firearms. Hopefully they will outlast me and I hope that is a very long time even though I am on the back nine.You young people will have a hard time understanding this but my favorite all time camera is a Hasselblad 500C with Kodachrome II (ASA 25) or Panatomic X (ASA 32). Some of you may have to Google that. That is real photography. I still have many of my dad's glass negatives. I will say digital sure is fun.Just my two cents.Roger