New to the D200

Buanadha

So, it's old and a bit obsolete by many standards, but I recently decided to get into photography at a beginning hobbyist level (and to stop just snapping away with my phone). I started with a D7000 and a Nikkor 18-105mm lens and then picked up a D200 a bit later. I don't shoot much at night or indoors (lots of flowers, landscapes and buildings mostly), so I haven't had a lot of trouble with needing a high ISO, and I've found myself using the D200 a lot and more than the D7000.

I picked up a 50mm 1.8 to go with it and have been using that as well (and it was a very good addition). I'm learning more and more as I go, but overall the D200 really is just pleasure. I'm definitely no Pro, but I like the images I'm getting out of it already

Should add, the D200 I have only has 23K shutter clicks, so I'm hoping I can take it quite a ways while learning

Last edited:

Bikerbrent

Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride. We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

You might also want to consider introducing yourself on New Member Introductions.

The D200 is a great camera as I still own one. I was not that impressed with the D300 and waited for the D400, which never came. So I finally ended up with a D7200 to replace my D200 and it is a great camera. Then Nikon came out with the D500, a great camera for animal photography, but not the best for landscapes. So I continue to favor the D7200.

Buanadha

Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride. We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

You might also want to consider introducing yourself on New Member Introductions.

The D200 is a great camera as I still own one. I was not that impressed with the D300 and waited for the D400, which never came. So I finally ended up with a D7200 to replace my D200 and it is a great camera. Then Nikon came out with the D500, a great camera for animal photography, but not the best for landscapes. So I continue to favor the D7200.

Thanks for the welcome! I'll get an intro out in the new Members forum as well and try to get a few samples out (most of the good ones are by accident so far, though ;) )

Kind of wish I'd held out and tried to find a used 7200 myself, but after I take enough shots with the D200 and D7000 I'll know enough to know what I should get I guess!

Buanadha

At the end of the day it's the image and the photographer, not the equipment.

That is so true!

My wife and I got married 17 years ago (about a year before the D200 came out), and I realized that the photographer took amazing, beautiful pictures with technology that wasn't even as advanced as the D200. Made it clear I had a lot to learn about being a photographer before anything else.

Last edited:

BF Hammer

Welcome aboard and enjoy the learning.

As a former D7000 owner, I really would have considered a D200 to be a downgrade, or maybe a 2nd body. But I'm sure there is some feature you are benefiting from on the D200 that I might not consider as important in my shooting. In particular I'm thinking the 16MP sensor and ISO that is usable to 1600 as being advantage D7000. And the extra autofocus features.

desmobob

I love to use my d200. I found mine in like-new condition with just over 4300 shutter activations! It's the last of the Nikon DSLRs using a CCD sensor rather than a CMOS type, so many say it has some subtle differences in the way it renders. I love its rock-solid feel. It may be a bit heavy, but it sure feels tough and reliable.

I hope you get much enjoyment from your D200! I'm sure you'll enjoy the very nice folks on this forum.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

Buanadha

Welcome aboard and enjoy the learning.

As a former D7000 owner, I really would have considered a D200 to be a downgrade, or maybe a 2nd body. But I'm sure there is some feature you are benefiting from on the D200 that I might not consider as important in my shooting. In particular I'm thinking the 16MP sensor and ISO that is usable to 1600 as being advantage D7000. And the extra autofocus features.

Some of it has to do with timing. the D7000 came first and I took it on a family trip and got some great pictures (IMO) but was learning a lot with my first time through with a DSLR. Then when I got back, I also got a used D200. The D200 is with me in my office in downtown Chicago so I can slip out over lunch or during open spots on my calendar and take pictures. It's all pretty much been all outside, all in excellent light for the D200, and I've just had more opportunity to use the D200 so my familiarity has increased a lot (while it built on the learning I had with the d7000).

If I were shooting in lower light or indoors mostly, I'd grab the D7000 first, but for having it in my office and shooting colors and buildings during the day, the D200's been a lot of fun

Needa

Challenge Team
Welcome!

Kind of wish I'd held out and tried to find a used 7200 myself, but after I take enough shots with the D200 and D7000 I'll know enough to know what I should get I guess!

Take your time get to know the equipment you have before you start thinking about upgrades. In a year or two when you understand what you like to photograph and your equipment limitations then maybe it will be time for an upgrade. At present study the manual, read, ask questions but most of all enjoy taking pictures. Be sure to check out our friendly weekly competition and monthly assignments.