New Nikon D5500 With Touch Screen Coming In Early 2015

Nero

I'm surprised they didn't call it a Smartcamera with that touch screen being added to it. :p

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 4

jay_dean

Nikons with touch screen?? Now would be a good time to introduce my new line in interactive technology. I call them the iGlove, I've been successfully testing them for a while now. They offer unprecedented interaction between the operator and the camera. You can purchase these from me at an extra special price of £99. Paypal accepted!!;)
_DSC4339.jpg

richarddacat

Concerning the GPS, as SteveH said designating a position of a landmark would be handy for me.
I play a motorcycle tag game where riders take a shot of something, post it and it's up to another rider to find it. Once it's found its location is given and sometimes noted on a map.

That feature I could use but since I've been shopping for a DSLR other features on the D7000 appeal to me more, especially since it's currently on sale for less.

RocketCowboy

Hopefully the GPS on the rumored D5500 would work better than it does on the D5300. The D5300 gives me more headaches than location locks, which helped push me into the D7100.

gqtuazon

Gear Head

Touch screen LCDs have been integrated and used by Sony and Panasonic which works great for videographers.

Focus peaking for example is a nice feature when using the older or any manual focus lens. By touching an area on the screen, you can zoom in to the subjects eye for example to verify that your subject is in focus, just like when shooting macro. This will give you a well focused image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketman122

4 is an unlucky number in Japanese culture and Nikon does not need anymore bad luck. It will be interesting to see what they pack into the D5500.

yes for sure. that D4 and D4s are bad luck for nikon. and thre F4 was horrible as well. and the D40 as well. thank god they finally decided 4 was a bad number.

traceyjj

The swivel screen is the only thing I miss from my D5100 on my D800. It enabled me to get some nice ground/low level views which I cant get easily due to my bad knees.

J-see

Focus peaking for example is a nice feature when using the older or any manual focus lens. By touching an area on the screen, you can zoom in to the subjects eye for example to verify that your subject is in focus, just like when shooting macro. This will give you a well focused image.

That, I admit, would be a wonderful option. Now focus checking feels like playing a commodore 64 game. But I'd still like a screen lock option. Like the one we have NOT at the moment.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
That, I admit, would be a wonderful option. Now focus checking feels like playing a commodore 64 game. But I'd still like a screen lock option. Like the one we have NOT at the moment.

For those who have not experienced it might not see anything beneficial. I have a 135mm f2 manual focus lens and the DoF can get very shallow. Using focus peaking with a touch screen will make it a lot easier especially when the unit is mounted on a tripod such as a studio set-up.

Browsing through the menu will also make things faster. But I can understand why it is less appealing to some. Like video, it is not for everyone.

J-see

For those who have not experienced it might not see anything beneficial. I have a 135mm f2 manual focus lens and the DoF can get very shallow. Using focus peaking with a touch screen will make it a lot easier especially when the unit is mounted on a tripod such as a studio set-up.

Browsing through the menu will also make things faster. But I can understand why it is less appealing to some. Like video, it is not for everyone.

I'd have use for it in landscape if they would add more options to the exposure preview like individual color histograms. Then touch might make for a better experience. Now there are too few options to make touch a sensible addition. It's not as if I'm browsing the menu all the time. I prefer as much instant button control as possible, as most do I guess. Menus slow down, touch doesn't help that. But it can have its place.

AC016

yea, it flew past you. youll get it next time around. 4 is not an unlucky number. if it was they wouldnt put out all those models listed. so the 4 is bad luck is nonsense

I suggest you do a little research before stating something is nonsense. In Japanese, the number four has the same pronunciation as the word death. Four is pronounced shi, same sound as the word death. This is why there is two readings of the word four, shi & yon. Same goes for the number 9, which has the sound ku when pronounced. Ku can also mean agony, suffering or torture.
8 is considered a lucky number and one of the reasons that Airbus numbered their A380 aircraft with the number 8 in it, for the Asian market was their target market. You can read about that in this book: Airbus A380: Superjumbo of the 21st Century eBook: Guy Norris, Mark Wagner: Amazon.ca: Kindle Store

In regards to the what i had said in my post, i was merely making an observation that Nikon would be skipping a number in the squenece of 5000, 5100, 5200, 5300, 5500. Since Nikon has not been doing so well for the past couple of years, i thought maybe they were getting a little superstitious about things. That's all.

rocketman122

I suggest you do a little research before stating something is nonsense. In Japanese, the number four has the same pronunciation as the word death. Four is pronounced shi, same sound as the word death. This is why there is two readings of the word four, shi & yon. Same goes for the number 9, which has the sound ku when pronounced. Ku can also mean agony, suffering or torture.
8 is considered a lucky number and one of the reasons that Airbus numbered their A380 aircraft with the number 8 in it, for the Asian market was their target market. You can read about that in this book: Airbus A380: Superjumbo of the 21st Century eBook: Guy Norris, Mark Wagner: Amazon.ca: Kindle Store

In regards to the what i had said in my post, i was merely making an observation that Nikon would be skipping a number in the squenece of 5000, 5100, 5200, 5300, 5500. Since Nikon has not been doing so well for the past couple of years, i thought maybe they were getting a little superstitious about things. That's all.

when you assume youre the one who looks bad. so yes, I know that number 4 is bad luck. that I know. your point is they they skipped the D5400 because its bad luck. if it was such bad luck in their eyes, they wouldnt name the D4 and D4s that. and its a flagship camera no less! so could be that NOW they woke and decided to not have bad luck by making the D5400 but I dont believe thats the reason. and with 7 bad revenues could be they want to play it safe.

but between me and you, it wont help them. the number is the smallest part of nikons problem. they need to fix a lot of other things.

sorry but im a Boeing fan all the way!