New D500 dilemma, what would you do?

Samo

The more I think about it if I were walking along the road and found an envelope with 1500 bucks in it I think I would chalk it up as a gift from the almighty and then go buy some homeless guy a coat or something. Color me bad I don't care because it's between God and me.

This reminds me of those I found 20 grand in the wall of the house I just bought stories.

Last edited:

Blacktop

I would test out both just in case one of them has the same focus problem like your old one. I would keep both for a few days before notifying Amazon.

mikew_RIP

As tempting as most would find it if it came to light in the UK ime pretty sure it would be theft by deception not worth it.

I can top that though,my wife and i where pulling a night shift unloading new BMW cars from a boat,we arrived at the BMW compound on the docks,she was driving a 6 series and at the gate they scanned it in,then scanned it several more times,then ask her to pull over to the side while they checked the computer,eventually they came out to her and said we have no trace what so ever of that car,no records of it being loaded even,she ask what would have happened if she had taken it home,they said nothing it just does not exist after being built.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I know Roy will do the right thing as soon as he figures out what happened. Maybe they couldn't fix his original one so they sent a replacement? I doubt it but it's wishful thinking.

BackdoorArts

Remember, Karma's a bitch.

To those saying test both, do you want the one returned "as new" when you open your Amazon box, showing signs of rummaging and more than a few clicks? I didn't think so.

As for the suggestion to call, have you ever tried to find a phone number for Amazon?!

Pick one, return the other, unopened. If you're lucky they'll screw up and credit you again. That's on them. Sending it back is on you.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Well i returned my D500 today and my new one came, opened the box and was faced with this....

my account balance is showing $0.00 for both, is the spare one just incase the new one fails or just for my hardship over the last few days? lol

at least its a better problem right? and i can say i once owned 3 D500's.
Did you open both boxes just to make certain there are two of them in there. What if one box contained a D7000? ;)

Ta2Dave

When ordered my D7100 last summer, i got an email saying "Your D750 has been shipped" I was like hell yea someone goofed up!!! Then my D7100 arrived a few days later...

If you make contact, and they say to keep it, maybe a Nikonites raffle for it???

RocketCowboy

To those saying test both, do you want the one returned "as new" when you open your Amazon box, showing signs of rummaging and more than a few clicks? I didn't think so.

As for the suggestion to call, have you ever tried to find a phone number for Amazon?!

Pick one, return the other, unopened. If you're lucky they'll screw up and credit you again. That's on them. Sending it back is on you.

This.

As someone who just received what was supposed to be a "new, unopened box" QNAP NAS unit for work, only to find prior return labels (yes, plural labels on the box) and missing contents ... Amazon is sorting this out for me but still a waste of time.

wev

Contributor
Buy a walk around lens for it and tell Ryan you are upping his game

FTC says it is absolutely yours and you are under no obligation to return it.

vmx12n

Sage advice.

Plus if they do decide to charge you for both, it might be a pain to get that sorted out.

wev

Contributor
Sage advice.

Plus if they do decide to charge you for both, it might be a pain to get that sorted out.

If they did, they would be in direct violation of federal law and open themselves to legal action. Which is why they have insurance for just this sort of thing. If you wish to return it out of the goodness of heart, that is fine, but they are also obligated to pay for any shipping, handling, and time spent correcting their error.

Daz

Wow this is a good dilemma! Legally it can be yours if you want.

Morally that is totally up to you ... With the millions and millions and millions that Amazon make every year. It would be staying in my hands or even put out for sale against some new glass :)

Samo

I hope you keep it Roy. Only thing better than one 500 is two 500's. You can be like those guys in action movies with two pistols. You'll hit a bird every time you fire! Of course that means you'll have to get two copies of every lens but hey thank you Jeff Bezos! LOL

Dawg Pics

I am sure there must be some contact info provided in case of a problem or return. After all, Roy had to contact them in order to have these new cameras sent to him. Amazon needs to send the appropriate return authorization, which should include shipping on them.

BTW, I Googled Amazon customer service and found the number--4th entry on the results page.

Last edited: