My SB-910 needs repair

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I received an email with an estimate of when the parts will be received by Nikon. I honestly had no idea this would drag out for such a long time. I sent it UPS on July 11th and they received it the next day, July 12th.

The Service Dept has reported an ETA for the parts needed for your speedlight. They are expecting the parts to arrive by 8/11/2016.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I called and spoke with a supervisor asking some of the questions that were raised here. Supposedly the repair is being done by Nikon directly and my flash is still on the premises. As to why the woman didn't call the parts department last night while I was on hold instead of emailing them, he said that's how it is done. He has no idea where they had to order the parts from or why it is taking so long to receive them. Supposedly the parts were ordered on July 18th.

He told me something different than the woman told me last night so I questioned it. Last night the woman said she would email the parts department to find out how long it would take to receive the parts then once she received that info, she would email the service department to find out how long it would take to repair my flash. This supervisor said the parts and service department are all one. When I asked why I was given conflicting info, he simply apologized for the incorrect information. Then I had to get in a little dig so I asked whose info was wrong. ;) Hers so he said.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
One more thing...first I asked how many supervisors worked there. His response was 1, 2, 3, 4, 5....about six. Wouldn't you kind of know offhand how many co-workers you have?

Secondly, when I asked the name of a specific supervisor who helped me when my D600 was being repaired, he gave me one of those Tim the Toolman responses. The name caught him off guard and wasn't familiar to him at all. Hey, I'm just looking for some humor here, but in all seriousness, the supervisor's grunt reminded me of Tim Allen. ;)

rocketman122

unacceptable. so long for a repair. they should do it for free if they take longer than a month. this is a 910, not an sb-28. it shouldnt take this long. well its known that nikon repair service is crap.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
It's still on parts hold. Even though I was told the parts won't be in until August 11th, I can't help but to check anyway.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
The status changed to Shop today.

Here's my cheeky response: that must mean the part(s) arrived in today's deliveries. Now I wonder how many more days it will take for the replacement part(s) to be put in the flash. :shame:

Whiskeyman

The status changed to Shop today.

Here's my cheeky response: that must mean the part(s) arrived in today's deliveries. Now I wonder how many more days it will take for the replacement part(s) to be put in the flash. :shame:

Send them a note saying that there is a Nikon Service slogan contest going on and the first submission is: "Nikon Service - We might not be very responsive to the customer, but at least we're not very fast, either!"

WM

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Yesterday morning I checked the status again. It still listed SHOP. Then towards evening, I received an email from UPS My Choice which alerted me that UPS was scheduled to pick up a package from Nikon that will be delivered to me. I went back and checked the status of my Nikon repair: it said Billing.

If you are here in the USA and use UPS, please consider creating a free UPS My Choice account. I receive emails letting me know when packages will be shipped--and sometimes they are deliveries that I wasn't expecting to arrive via UPS. You even have the option to change the delivery to a different day or address as well as other options.

https://wwwapps.ups.com/mcdp?loc=en_US

nickt

If you are here in the USA and use UPS, please consider creating a free UPS My Choice account.
Love that service, as well as FedEx's and USPS's similar service. UPS is great in my area, but still good to know what is coming. FedEx and USPS tend to leave my packages ANYWHERE. Just yesterday, the mailman threw my package in my neighbor's yard along with their package-eating dog. I got the delivery text and was able to get to it first.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
It arrived this evening. I haven't yet tried it out, but they replaced more than I expected. Before I even sent it in, the estimate ranged between $36 to $149 so when they do the $149 service, they must calculate in more replaced parts than just the metal terminals that contact the batteries. The repair was the $149 amount--shipping and tax were added onto that total.

It was very well protected with thick bubble wrap firmly taped around the unit. Once I removed the bubble wrap, this is how it was packaged.

IMG_0632.jpg

And here is the list of items that were replaced as well as everything they checked out on it. I certainly didn't think it needed the hot shoe, reflector, or the acrylic window replaced, but hey....

IMG_0633.jpg

So what are your thoughts with everything they did to my flash? I feel they went above and beyond what I expected. Other than the comment that All claims must be made within 15 days from shipment date, there isn't any warranty time listed. Does that mean I only get a 15-day warranty?

Whiskeyman

It arrived this evening. I haven't yet tried it out, but they replaced more than I expected. Before I even sent it in, the estimate ranged between $36 to $149 so when they do the $149 service, they must calculate in more replaced parts than just the metal terminals that contact the batteries. The repair was the $149 amount--shipping and tax were added onto that total.

It was very well protected with thick bubble wrap firmly taped around the unit. Once I removed the bubble wrap, this is how it was packaged.

View attachment 223414

And here is the list of items that were replaced as well as everything they checked out on it. I certainly didn't think it needed the hot shoe, reflector, or the acrylic window replaced, but hey....

View attachment 223415

So what are your thoughts with everything they did to my flash? I feel they went above and beyond what I expected. Other than the comment that All claims must be made within 15 days from shipment date, there isn't any warranty time listed. Does that mean I only get a 15-day warranty?

It looks to me as though your broken SB-910 is now a refurbished one. I have no idea concerning the warranty; use it a lot in the next two weeks to check it out very thoroughly.

Wow, seeing all of that makes me consider sending one of mine in. I dropped it a year ago, and the exterior housing cracked, but it still works, so I just plugged away with it.

WM

WayneF

So what are your thoughts with everything they did to my flash? I feel they went above and beyond what I expected.

I think maybe it was a pretty good deal. All the flash manuals have always said they need service "at least every two years". That means a flash tube. That alone is $75. Two years might be for fairly heavy service, but they do move up in color with use. Overheating can darken the plastic window, maybe they detected some of that. No clue about a "hot shoe", but it ought to be in pretty new condition now. And the batteries probably work now. :)

nickt

Wow, sounds like a good rebuild. Its should be like-new now. Makes the price and wait a better value. Just guessing, but $149 might be a flat fee rebuild for any repair more complicated than a battery door. It probably gets you the two year recommended service like Wayne said plus any other electrical parts you need to make it new. Enjoy.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I think maybe it was a pretty good deal. All the flash manuals have always said they need service "at least every two years". That means a flash tube. That alone is $75. Two years might be for fairly heavy service, but they do move up in color with use. Overheating can darken the plastic window, maybe they detected some of that. No clue about a "hot shoe", but it ought to be in pretty new condition now. And the batteries probably work now. :)

I know this flash wasn't remotely close to being used heavily. If I had to guess, I'd say it flashed fewer than 300 times. Probably only half that amount.

Wow, sounds like a good rebuild. Its should be like-new now. Makes the price and wait a better value. Just guessing, but $149 might be a flat fee rebuild for any repair more complicated than a battery door. It probably gets you the two year recommended service like Wayne said plus any other electrical parts you need to make it new. Enjoy.

Thanks, Nick.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Made some adjustments to the settings and took a few test shots. Here is my Australian Shepherd, Keilah. The vignette was entirely done in post (in case you think it is too much).

010 low res vignette.jpg

Leif

Maybe someone has already said this, and maybe it is obvious, but you really should not be using alkaline cells in anything of any value, they are not known as alkaleaks for nothing. Japanese made Eneloops, Fujitsu, Duracell and Amazon Basics rechargeables are the way to go. :)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Maybe someone has already said this, and maybe it is obvious, but you really should not be using alkaline cells in anything of any value, they are not known as alkaleaks for nothing. Japanese made Eneloops, Fujitsu, Duracell and Amazon Basics rechargeables are the way to go. :)

Yes, I know that now. I bought the flash in either 2012 or 2013 and left the batteries in it for a few weeks while the unit was off. Up until that time, I didn't have any problems with Duracell batteries, but that's when it started. Anything with AA Duracell batteries began leaking including clocks that were still running. Initially I thought it was just a bad package of AA Duracells (even wondered if they were counterfeit), but every AA package since then has leaked. They must have changed something in the design of their AA batteries. Don't recall any AAA or 9-volts leaking though, but I try to stay away from Duracell altogether. ;)

Last edited:

Leif

Yes, I know that now. I bought the flash in either 2012 or 2013 and left the batteries in it for a few weeks while the unit was off. Up until that time, I didn't have any problems with Duracell batteries, but that's when it started. Anything with AA Duracell batteries began leaking including clocks that were still running. Initially I thought it was just a bad package of AA Duracells (even wondered if they were counterfeit), but every AA package since then has leaked. They must have changed something in the design of their AA batteries. Don't recall any AAA or 9-volts leaking though, but I try to stay away from Duracell altogether. ;)

In truth ALL alkaline batteries can and will leak. If a product uses one, then it might be okay for a long while, but if you have two or more in series, then you are asking for trouble. At my last job we had a bag full of dead batteries from our mice, and virtually all of them had started ozzing white powder. I've had loads leak. Duracell might be worse then others, I haven't checked. By the way sorry for the trouble you had, I learnt some while back. Also you will find that NiMH cells have a lot of power, and can provide a more stable regulated current than alkalines. Really alkalines are only suitable for low drain devices, such as mice, and even then I wouldn't use them.