My first experience with MPB

Clovishound

Full disclosure, I have no connection with MPB, other than being a first time customer.

Given the Pup's proclivities in choosing something different to photograph, and with Christmas coming up, I talked with her about what to have under the tree for her this year. She shoots with a D5600and has no interest in upgrading to FF or mirrorless anytime soon. She is pretty much covered with everything from 18mm to 300mm, and can extend that out to 500mm by borrowing my long tele. I thought she might like to try an ultra wide angle. Since she is working with crop frame, a FF ultra wide is out of the question to mount on her camera. I looked at the reviews and the inexpensive Nikon 10-20mm got the best reviews. I decided to go with used, since she doesn't know whether she will be using this lens much, or not. I was able to get a LN from MPB for less than half the cost of a new one, and thought I would give them a try.

I ordered it late Monday. It arrived from NY to SC today.

Packing was good.

_DAB0007.jpg

Lens looks perfect, the only difference I can see between this and a brand new Nikon is the signature Nikon box, and a little dust from the packing.

_DAB0011.jpg

I mounted it on my old D3400 and took it for a short spin to make sure everything works fine before bagging it up for Christmas. BTW, not my car. Everything looks good. Focus, sharpness, zoom, aperture, all look good. This thing really goes wide. She should be able to do some great forced perspective shots with it. If I could get it to work in FF mode on my Z5 it would give some crazy wide shots, but, alas, I think the camera forces crop mode when it senses a crop frame lens attached.

_DAB0023.jpg

This is a cheap lens, but it appears to function well. Ken Rockwell spoke highly of it in his review.

_DAB0026.jpg

I was happy with the experience I had with MPB. They are a little cheaper than KEH, also the photos are of the actual item vs a stock photo, and they post shutter counts for a of of their cameras. I had a much better experience with them than I have had with Nikon Store's refurbs. I would use them again.

bluzman

Over the last several years, I've had multiple dealings with MPB. I've traded gear, sold gear outright, and bought gear straight up. Currently, I have several lenses and four cameras, including a D5600, that have come from transactions with MPB. I've also transacted deals with B&H, Adorama, KEH, and Nikon for used or refurbished gear. All of them have delivered on schedule and stood behind there equipment. I prefer to deal MPB because, as you noted, their website shows pictures of the actual equipment you're buying and, for DSLR bodies, the shutter count is published.

For grins, here are a couple of 2019 vintage images taken at the harbor in Garibaldi, Oregon with my D5600 and AF-P DX 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G VR lens, one at 10mm and one at 20mm. They're jpg images SOOC that have been cropped to 16x9, had the shadows lifted a bit using FastStone Image Viewer, and resized to publish here.

560_0021_L_cr_sm.jpg

560_0015_L_cr_sm.jpg

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I recently sold off the last of my Nikon 1 gear and two Fuji X-T3's when I upgraded to the X-T5 and X-S20. MPB actually reached out because they undervalued a couple items. I too appreciate that you can see the actual lens you are purchasing; I used part of the transaction towards a like new in original box Fuji Macro. Great service.

Fred Kingston

For buying I love MPB but I find the prices they offer a lot lower than I what I can get by selling on ebay.

Hope @Clovishound your wife enjoys her gift from Santa 🎅
I found the same... You do need to do your due diligence with eBay though... but if you're patient and diligent, you can get about 30% more off eBay than by selling to the various vendors...

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I found the same... You do need to do your due diligence with eBay though... but if you're patient and diligent, you can get about 30% more off eBay than by selling to the various vendors...
Very true. I figure the cost and aggravation of shipping and dealing with multiple people plus the fees/taxes that eBay charges made it worthwhile. To be fair, I did split between MPB and KEH based on who offered the most per item.

Last edited:

Peter7100

Maybe I’m just lucky but so far I have never had any trouble selling on eBay. However I do only sell gear in good or excellent condition.
I recently sold my D7100 on eBay for £215 and MPB had offered me £130, that is a big difference.

Fred Kingston

What I meant was... with regard to presentation, really... I'm a bit weird. I save all the original packaging from my stuff, so when I sell it...it gets cleaned and sold in all the original packaging... Same when I buy stuff from MPB, i only buy items that list the original packaging and documentation... I don't do auctions... just BIN sales, If I'm high and getting offers, I can sell it... I won't get stuck with a low auction price because eBay happens to have a large inventory that month and nobody is bidding... There are presently 1600 Nikon 50mm f1.8 lenses presently listed on eBay... and you can pick them up for a dime... That's good for buyers, but not so good for sellers. I also have my profile set for buyers with a minimum number of completed transactions... I don't want to sell a $700 lens to a buyer on eBay that has no history... Same with buyers that are obvious re-sellers with thousands of transactions... If I get Offers from them, then I need to be cautious because my pricing is obviously too low... I also filter out international sales without going into all the reasons why...

Peter7100

What I meant was... with regard to presentation, really... I'm a bit weird. I save all the original packaging from my stuff, so when I sell it...it gets cleaned and sold in all the original packaging... Same when I buy stuff from MPB, i only buy items that list the original packaging and documentation... I don't do auctions... just BIN sales, If I'm high and getting offers, I can sell it... I won't get stuck with a low auction price because eBay happens to have a large inventory that month and nobody is bidding... There are presently 1600 Nikon 50mm f1.8 lenses presently listed on eBay... and you can pick them up for a dime... That's good for buyers, but not so good for sellers. I also have my profile set for buyers with a minimum number of completed transactions... I don't want to sell a $700 lens to a buyer on eBay that has no history... Same with buyers that are obvious re-sellers with thousands of transactions... If I get Offers from them, then I need to be cautious because my pricing is obviously too low... I also filter out international sales without going into all the reasons why...
Slightly of topic but I always find this interesting that not just Nikon, but all of makes of 50mm lenses seem to get sold on a regular basis. I often wonder is it the focal length that people find they don't like after buying or something else :unsure: .

Peter7100

I do the exact same :ROFLMAO:

Clovishound

Slightly of topic but I always find this interesting that not just Nikon, but all of makes of 50mm lenses seem to get sold on a regular basis. I often wonder is it the focal length that people find they don't like after buying or something else :unsure: .
While I appreciate the quality and value of a 50mm lens, I find that with a normal zoom mounted, I rarely take pictures around 50mm. I'm most often at one end of the zoom or the other. Back in my film days, I had a 50mm lens for every camera I owned, except for the Rollei, which had an 80mm, which was considered normal for 2 1/4. Normal zooms weren't very popular back in the day.