My brand new D800 arrives tomorrow! How can I test for common issues?

eurotrash

Stop searching for faults and use the tool. If there are any, you'll know about them. Damn, I'm a tad jealous! Enjoy it!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Fashion

What Sambr said about every single one of his cameras having the issue really freaks me out OCD as I am... Besides, I see you live in Canada, not in a humid Jungle where all adhesives are likely to fail.

JDFlood

Actually I live in the Pacific NorthWest (Vancouver, Washington), where it rains 9 months of the year... Very humid most of the time. Where are you from? JD

Fashion

Oh sorry about the mixup, I meant Sambr lives in Canada which is why I was surprised that all his grips failed him.

As for my humble self I am from Switzerland (Elinchrom Country, yay!).

JDFlood

Fashion,

Beautiful country Switzerland. Well, you have to wonder, having all the grips come off. This is clearly uncommon.. And even if it wasn't it is really minor... A drop of adhesive under a corner. Nikon's are build really well. I have been banging them around fit forty years and never needed a repair... Ok extent a couple of Nikonos', opening them under water is 100% my fault. Anyone that has had a string of problems with different models... Well you have to suspect the owner. JD

Epoc

Woah, I just read something super scary, I don't know if it's an invention of the internet but apparently some people have had the rubber parts on their D800 become loose and then come off! I plan on using mine for a very long time, probably ten years or more (Having the shutter replaced) as I don't see how I could benefit from any kind of improvements but this scares me! What if it came off during a shoot? I don't use any kind of strap... Do you think it may have been due to a manufacturing defect? Or will this eventually happen to mine?

I thought Nikon were supposed to have the best build quality together with Pentax.

Sorry, had to laugh at this post. Your buying a $3K camera and worried about a $60 part that MAY fail in a few years. Dude, chill out and just take photos. Stop worrying about nothing. All that'll do is help you leave this world earlier than you should :)

Photowyzard

I purchased my D800 about a year ago (shy one month) and had to get in line to purchase it. I too was concerned about some of the stuff I heard from early buyers online. I called Nikon ... they explained their warranty to me, addressed my concerns and I put my money down.

Almost one year later, 12K images, and more joy than I have ever experienced with any purchase I have ever made...

1) no left focus issue, no right focus issues and I haven't gone blind yet from over doing it!! ;)
2) no rubber issues.... no grip issues ... come to think of it, just holding and looking at the D800 is pleasure enough
3) no green screen, no green men from Mars, not much of anything to complain about
4) my only beef, not enough frame rate per second, but I knew this going in. You are in Fashion? You have no worries.
5) my current nit on top of #4 is I wish the buffer was a tad larger. Long bursts will slow the camera down until the buffer clears.

I have spoken to a lot of sales reps in a lot of camera stores in the last year. In recent memory, they have NEVER experienced demand for ANY camera, like they have for the D800. NON... NADA...NEVER.

So, a CANON shill comes online and gets a rumour going that you get Radiation Poisoning if you use the D800 more than 5 minutes a day.... really? LOL who cares.

I think you should wait until Nikon corrects this problem before you buy! ;)

Get the idea.....

Go buy the camera, start taking pictures ... you will simply not believe your eyes! There is no finer piece of DSLR equipment on the market today, in my opinion. Forget the pure, unmitigated BS you are reading online from nay-sayers.... the D800 turned the photographic industry on its ear, last year!

Flower.jpg

PS: Purposely chose this image because it has YELLOW in it! ;)

Also, yes, some people had issues. Compared to the number of cameras sold, this is perfectly expected. Some people will have issues with almost anything they buy. It is the law of averages. Read the stories and reviews from the POSITIVE posters online who actually OWN the camera and deep 6 the nay sayers and Bullsh*ters.

Last edited:

JDFlood

Nate,

Relax.

If you like testing, I mean you enjoy it. Ming Thein and many others have published tests. But honestly, your camera should have no issues, period. I got one from the initial waiting list... I signed up the first day they announced the D800 and my camera has no issues. They were startup issues and where probably long gone a year ago. I would enjoy your camera and on question it if something really keeps coming up... which is very unlikely. I have had many Nikons over the last 40 years and never had an issue with one. JD

Scott Murray

CAUTION - D800 cannot handle submersion overnight, so if you plan on sleeping in a flooded tent or swimming pool then dont get one ::what::

Other than that small issue I had in Arusha (Africa) after my tent flooded during a torrential downpour I had no issues with my D800 and honetly miss it, Saturday hurry up I want my D800E :cool:

06Honda

I would just start shooting and not pay too much attention to any issues reported. If it happens then it happens don't waste time looking for things that probably won't be there anyway.

papa2jaja

My camera has something around 1200 exposures at this moment. This weekend I checked my sensor. There were 5 very small specks of dust. There were no oil spots or the likes. The Rocketblower took care of 4 of these specks, the last speck had to be removed using the Pentax sensor cleaning tool (a stamp tool). The inner glass of the lens had more and larger specks (I cleaned it using a lens brush). Wet cleaning was not required. I use primes, so I change lenses quite a bit. Some specks of dust are to be expected under these circumstances. So I guess my D800 has no issues with oil or other unusual contamination of the sensor.