My bird shots are just horrible! I need some help!

Scott Murray

This is a lot more like what I am looking for. Thanks to all of you and your advice I have finally taken an image I am proud of.

More to come. I have to go back to work.

View attachment 62750

Well done.

Beautiful capture Mike and nicely processed. We need a thumbs up icon.

Here's one I found :p

thumbs-up1.jpg

Mike D90

Still working on this project; getting nice sharp images of flying birds. While I don't think my bird shots to be horrible anymore I sure see room for lots of improvement.

What I am struggling with now is getting foo sharp focus on the head/eyes of a flying bird. I have taken my aperture down to f/8 as advised. Auto focus set to center point AFS continuous.

Is it still my aperture giving me too shallow DOF? How is DOF affected on a zoom lens as it is actually zoomed? Is f/8 at 150mm the same as f/8 at 300mm zoom as to DOF?

mikew_RIP

Mike i feel your pain and frustration.for me i find it nearly impossible to focus on the eye with a bird in flight.could be if i had more larger birds to aim at it would be easier but with the average size of my subjects and the distance they are away ime lucky if i can keep the focus point on the neck.

Bill16

If I were you, I'd experiment a little using a still subject at varying zoom. Adjusting your aperture a little to test what will give you the shot your after. Then See how it affects your shot at different zoom levels.
It might give you an idea if the zoom does affect the aperture needs, as I think it does. :)

I think the longer the zoom the bigger the aperture needed to give you the same amount of light. But you likely know more than I do at my current level in photography my friend! Lol :D

Blacktop

I just stumbled upon this thread, so I apologize for posting in it so late.
Anyway, I just read through 17 pages non stop, and I have to say that the short time I have been here, it is the most informative and inspiring read I have come across.

Kudos to you Mike for not giving up and sticking with it.
Your photos show a great deal of improvement from the date of your first post in this thread.

Last edited:

Mike D90

I just stumbled upon this thread, so I apologize for posting in it so late.
Anyway, I just read through 17 pages non stop, and I have to say that the short time I have been here, it is the most informative and inspiring read I have come across.

Kudos to you Mike for not giving up and sticking with it.
Your photos show a great deal of improvement from the date of your first post in this thread.

And I am still working on it. Some of my BIF shots are still bad. Most of my static bird shots are pretty good now as long as I have good light and don't try to "push" a shot that just shouldn't be attampted with the equipment I have.

Blacktop

I hear you. I tried this bird shooting once. I set up a bird feeder, then set up my tripod about 20 feet from it on the front porch. I set up my focus where I thought the birds will be landing, took test shots with a remote shutter thingie.

Then I sat down to wait for the birds. I spent all my Saturday waiting for birds to come by. You think they showed up? No!.. Do you know when they showed up? Right after I packed up all my stuff and brought it in the house.

I got pissed and emptied the bird feeder. That'll show these rat bastards whats what!!:beaten:

Mike D90

I am going to kind of finish up this thread and not post much more, if any, to this one and continue my learning with the Bird In Flight shots in another area.

So, for those that are following, or will read this one day, here are some of the shots I have achieved lately because of the wonderful help received here!

Some of my best:

red_bellied_woodpecker_1.jpg

pine_warbler_5.jpg

blue_jay_2.jpg

carolina_chickadee.jpg

warbler_2.jpg

Great Egret 1000px.jpg

Deezey

I am going to kind of finish up this thread and not post much more, if any, to this one and continue my learning with the Bird In Flight shots in another area.

So, for those that are following, or will read this one day, here are some of the shots I have achieved lately because of the wonderful help received here!

Some of my best:

red_bellied_woodpecker_1.jpg

pine_warbler_5.jpg

blue_jay_2.jpg

carolina_chickadee.jpg

warbler_2.jpg

View attachment 82858

Love the Jay shot too!

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

What an amazing transformation in what you capture! Nice!!! :)